This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Predictions for AA?  (Read 324522 times)

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
Re: Predictions for AA?
« Reply #975 on: February 09, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »
My comments have absolutely nothing to do with how much time and money is invested in my kids, how much distance I travel to support them, the quality of CA hockey, scholarships, nor entitlements. 

I don't get emotional about any of that because those are choices

My comments have everything to do with what's morally right and wrong.

I like to think I have a high moral standard.  What is immoral?  Sincere question, not a challenge or looking for a gotcha.
Believe calling this "immoral" is a bit of a streach.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #976 on: February 09, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
You are right. “Craven” would be a better word.

Mcp04

• Mite
  • LR Justice +10/-13
« Reply #977 on: February 09, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
This will be my last post on this topic.

There is nothing wrong with self-interest, and working for success.  It’s what makes this country great.

But self interest at the expense of others (especially those to which you are chartered to provide a service) is where it crosses into greed.

Greed is self interest when it becomes unacceptable to a society or group (the parents).

Whether or not greed is immoral is up to you and the values you subscribe to.  Not everyone has the same moral compass.

The emotion on this topic comes from the fact that one’s greed causes >100 people to be negatively impacted.     

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #978 on: February 09, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
All this because of a trip to Vacaville?

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #979 on: February 09, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »
I agree that we definitely have a different moral compass.  I don't define greed as it is defined in the current political climate.  "when it becomes unacceptable to a society or group"  I would agree with you that that is a modern Leftist definition.

Greed is the driving force behind capitalism and the success of the American experiment.  Wanting better for you and your family.  I don't want a society that gets to determine how much I am allowed to succeed and when the fruits of my labor are determined to be "enough".  If you rob Peter to pay Paul you can count on Paul voting for you.  If you are a sheep in a pack of wolves you don't want "society" determining what is for dinner.  Let us each work towards our own betterment.  It is not for others to determine one's level of success.  Unless there is unlawfulness in the effort to make gain, let the system sort it out. 

Thomas Sowell says it well:  'I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"   

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #980 on: February 09, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »
All this because of a trip to Vacaville?

Great encapsulation!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:46:08 AM by Puck Yeah »

Portent

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +20/-7
« Reply #981 on: February 09, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
So let's play this out with the suggestion that ice contracts are awarded after the flights have been made. Where would the games be played out? Most likely rinks that have more than one sheet right? Lakewood, El Segundo, Anaheim, Riverside, San Jose. You don't think people will start complaining that CAHA is in the pockets of the three major clubs only to support their profits and agendas?  Oh wait, people are already saying that. I am not arguing that having 8 socal teams going to Vacaville to play each other is logistically stupid.
I went through this 10 years ago with my son. When he was a squirt and we chose to play A I would "complain" that the SCAHA board was useless with making teams travel to Bakersfield. Pretty much for all the same reasons I hear on this topic now. Than when he decided to make AA we heard about the dreaded "Vacaville" weekends. We choose to play AA and suffer through it... and yes even 8 years ago there were talks about broken in cars and crappy food. We complained that CAHA was in the pockets of this club or that club just like people are doing now.
 Now, this year we will most likely have to make the trip again with my daughter. We can choose not to sign her up for AA, we can choose not to place her on a team that travels out of state or up north at all,we can choose not to pull her out of school to miss any days,  we can choose for her not to play hockey at all. What is my point, we are the consumers and ultimately responsible for what we do with our money. Our decisions will shape our reality. Don't want to go to Vacaville or San Jose, or miss so many days of school, than don't sign up on any teams that do any of those.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #982 on: February 09, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »

Yes, everyone signed up knowing the deal with the flights. Agree, disagree that isn’t the issue and if there were No Cal teams in both flights, by all means be fair and have a weekend up north. HOWEVER, I would argue that there should be ZERO games played in Vacaville. San Jose has much better facilities, it’s easier to get to, the ice is better and it is much safer (I know multiple people that have had cars broken into in Vacaville). Argue with me that there is not enough rice slots there and that is the reason...However we all know that is not the real reason and doesn’t happen because of who is on the board.

CAHA makes no decision based on COMMON SENSE. When the flights were determined and every single team in Flight 2 is in So Cal, they should have immediately cancelled  the weekend up north and found ice  here in So Cal. There are several rinks here with 2 sheets so any argument that “the ice slots would be full” is complete and utter bullshit. I am sure Valencia, Anaheim Ice, Lakewood, Simi, Riverside or even KHS (would be the last choice) Would be happy to rearrange to host a CAHA weekend. Saves the parents time, money and oh yeah, likely keeps their kids in the school that Friday. However, said Board Member’s home  rink would be out the funds generated.

Once again, I will state what I did in the beginning...follow the money and the answers will show themselves.

You really believe that everything should have been scrapped up north and rescheduled in SoCal just to accommodate?  Are we all that entitled now to go without inconvenience?  We are entitled to the nicer facilities?

I don't know about you but I get up at 4:30 or 5 every morning for one reason.  Money.  These are not non profit organizations designed to get little Johnny to the Bigs.  It takes a little electricity to keep the water solid and money to pay the taxes.  Who the hell are you to tell someone else how to run their business?  Don't like it, open you own rink and have Bernie Sanders run it for you.  Free ice for everyone.  Become a board member.  Start your own hockey association.  There is still a small amount of freedom left in California.  Jump on the opportunity before it is entirely gone.

Puck Yeah, here is where you are wrong.  This is a statewide non-profit organization. When you are elected or appointed to CAHA your obligation is to the players and their families , not the club you own or work.  You can't be serious that if you were a member or this organization you wouldn't have thought of the consequences of placing every So Cal team in a flight?  There are other things that could have been done.  Hell, parents would gladly have paid a stipend to get out of traveling up there to meet the ice slots.  The ice isn't that expensive.  Instead parents got fleeced into multiple weekends of their life, hours in the car or airport and hotel rooms. 
I think you need to be honest with yourself.  Laura, Ben and the rest of the board need to be held accountable.  We all get up early to make money Puck Yeah. 
We've bitched about this for 8 months.  The dumb mistakes of that organization continue to come up over and over again. And many of us give hundreds of hours of our time to youth hockey for free.   
Now maybe you can help come up with a solution to keep players in the state that are leaving in droves and to help CAHA get exposure to some of our outstanding AA players.  Because kids are not getting seen on the national level in this state and it is wrong. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:52:42 AM by Hockey05 »

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #983 on: February 09, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
As a wise msn once said, "Greed is good."

But....

In any case (imho) that children are involved, need to step back and see what is in the best interest of the kids.  If you cannot do that find something else to do.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #984 on: February 09, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »
So let's play this out with the suggestion that ice contracts are awarded after the flights have been made. Where would the games be played out? Most likely rinks that have more than one sheet right? Lakewood, El Segundo, Anaheim, Riverside, San Jose. You don't think people will start complaining that CAHA is in the pockets of the three major clubs only to support their profits and agendas?  Oh wait, people are already saying that. I am not arguing that having 8 socal teams going to Vacaville to play each other is logistically stupid.
I went through this 10 years ago with my son. When he was a squirt and we chose to play A I would "complain" that the SCAHA board was useless with making teams travel to Bakersfield. Pretty much for all the same reasons I hear on this topic now. Than when he decided to make AA we heard about the dreaded "Vacaville" weekends. We choose to play AA and suffer through it... and yes even 8 years ago there were talks about broken in cars and crappy food. We complained that CAHA was in the pockets of this club or that club just like people are doing now.
 Now, this year we will most likely have to make the trip again with my daughter. We can choose not to sign her up for AA, we can choose not to place her on a team that travels out of state or up north at all,we can choose not to pull her out of school to miss any days,  we can choose for her not to play hockey at all. What is my point, we are the consumers and ultimately responsible for what we do with our money. Our decisions will shape our reality. Don't want to go to Vacaville or San Jose, or miss so many days of school, than don't sign up on any teams that do any of those.

I would suggest that any player at the Peewee level simply play A.   You stop at states anyways.  Save your money.  What exactly are you chasing when your kid is 11-12?

If you all play A instead of AA, the talent level would be the same, and you will save about 3-5k to boot.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #985 on: February 09, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »

I would suggest that any player at the Peewee level simply play A.   You stop at states anyways.  Save your money.  What exactly are you chasing when your kid is 11-12?

If you all play A instead of AA, the talent level would be the same, and you will save about 3-5k to boot.
Ummm....

This is a Bantam thread.  :-[

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #986 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »

Once again, I will state what I did in the beginning...follow the money and the answers will show themselves.

You really believe that everything should have been scrapped up north and rescheduled in SoCal just to accommodate?  Are we all that entitled now to go without inconvenience?  We are entitled to the nicer facilities?

I don't know about you but I get up at 4:30 or 5 every morning for one reason.  Money.  These are not non profit organizations designed to get little Johnny to the Bigs.  It takes a little electricity to keep the water solid and money to pay the taxes.  Who the hell are you to tell someone else how to run their business?  Don't like it, open you own rink and have Bernie Sanders run it for you.  Free ice for everyone.  Become a board member.  Start your own hockey association.  There is still a small amount of freedom left in California.  Jump on the opportunity before it is entirely gone.

Puck Yeah, here is where you are wrong.  This is a statewide non-profit organization. When you are elected or appointed to CAHA your obligation is to the players and their families , not the club you own or work.  You can't be serious that if you were a member or this organization you wouldn't have thought of the consequences of placing every So Cal team in a flight?  There are other things that could have been done.  Hell, parents would gladly have paid a stipend to get out of traveling up there to meet the ice slots.  The ice isn't that expensive.  Instead parents got fleeced into multiple weekends of their life, hours in the car or airport and hotel rooms. 
I think you need to be honest with yourself.  Laura, Ben and the rest of the board need to be held accountable.  We all get up early to make money Puck Yeah. 
We've bitched about this for 8 months.  The dumb mistakes of that organization continue to come up over and over again. And many of us give hundreds of hours of our time to youth hockey for free.   
Now maybe you can help come up with a solution to keep players in the state that are leaving in droves and to help CAHA get exposure to some of our outstanding AA players.  Because kids are not getting seen on the national level in this state and it is wrong.

While trying to avoid being too much of an ass:  I say this at least half seriously, maybe in-house is a better option for you.

Tier hockey is the most damn expensive, hassle filled, time consuming crazy obligation I have ever loved.   Love it for what it is not for what it ain't.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:04:58 AM by Puck Yeah »

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #987 on: February 09, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »

Ummm....

well crap. :)  then if you do not make the first flight, drop and Play A hockey, and La cross and save a sh*ton of money

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #988 on: February 09, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »

Ummm....

well crap. :)  then if you do not make the first flight, drop and Play A hockey, and La cross and save a sh*ton of money
We go out of our flight 2 team in pre season and stuck with High School Hockey,  best decision I could have made all year.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #989 on: February 09, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
I find that strategy refreshing.   I feel this thread is like the mantra "we dislike gas and oil companies,  yet we all drive gas burning cars non the less".  There is really only one way to effect change.  Stop playing AA,  Play Highschool or A.   If everyone does it.. you will be playing the same talent, same competition. at 1/2 the cost and you sidestep all the CAHA madness.   Honestly, no one is really scouting AA anyways, so the rationale that you have to play AA is abit self serving.