This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Moving clubs  (Read 9719 times)

JustinTime

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-6
Moving clubs
« on: August 07, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
We are considering a move due a job relocation that would place our one way drive over 50 miles to our current home rink. Would we be able to be released from our current club due to this distance?

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
Re: Moving clubs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
I'm not sure. Last season I drove 106 miles each way to practice 3 days a week. It can be done :)

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:28:15 PM »
Sorry I can't give you answer on how to get released from your current club but FWIW, last year we drove 180 miles round trip to practice 3x per week (Mon, Tue & Wed)... This year, we drive 230 miles round trip to practice 2x per week (Wed & Sat)...

Driving is not for everyone, but I love the time I spend with my kid on the road, plus it's the only time he'd nap... And I'm a big believer that napping has a positive effect on growth.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »
I drive about 35 one way, so I feel your pain.  Obviously there are people who drive farther. 

If you are wondering, it's entirely dependent on the club as to whether they will let you out, but you should be talking to them about this immediately. 

There are no CAHA or USA Hockey rules that say you are entitled to move due to life circumstances. 

Obviously they can't force you to pay, or your kid to play, but they can block you from moving anywhere else if they want, at least in the state.  And to be fair, they may have left off other kids at tryouts in favor of your kid, so replacing your kid (depending on PDR issues, if it's a tier team)  might cause a ripple effect that isn't great for everyone.

With that said, you should be talking to the coach and the club right now, before the season starts!  Conversely, this could also mean that unless you can find a team that has roster spots open, it also might entail a drop down in division for your kid.  You should also query any clubs that are playing at closer rinks to find out what the situation is with their teams.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:33:15 PM by lcadad »

DroptheGloves

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-27
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
Sorry I can't give you answer on how to get released from your current club but FWIW, last year we drove 180 miles round trip to practice 3x per week (Mon, Tue & Wed)... This year, we drive 230 miles round trip to practice 2x per week (Wed & Sat)...

Driving is not for everyone, but I love the time I spend with my kid on the road, plus it's the only time he'd nap... And I'm a big believer that napping has a positive effect on growth.

Just curious...what are the circumstances that make one drive that far?  That is awful

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »

Just curious...what are the circumstances that make one drive that far?  That is awful

It all started when we decided to leave our local Club (20 mins from home) because he wanted to play tier. Hockey is a tough sell where we live and local team could barely field an A team... Leaving our local club turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made for our kid.

Originally planned to play for Ontario PWAA but Ontario was denied a PWAA team right before tryout so OC was the next logical stop. Everything went well at OC last yr but practice 3x a week Mon Tue Wed did eventually put stress on my son's grades. School always came easy for my kid but coming home at 11pm 3 days a week caused grades to dip a bit and assuming 8th grade only gets harder, we had to make the difficult decision to leave despite the OC team being the best team he has ever been on development and team harmony wise...

Luckily, he was able to join a good team with a 2x per week practice schedule (Wed & Sat) with talented 04's and some he knew previously. Downside being it's even further than OC... My kid likely could've gone closer to Ontario this year but the 2x per week schedule and opportunity to grow with an all 04 group, knowing they will likely all be together next year, were the deciding factors.

Driving such distance can be a pain but at times I find it almost therapeutic... My work can be extremely stressful and driving and spending time with my kids on the road relaxes me... Never really runs into heavy traffic, carpool lane and speedpass pretty much the whole way. Like I said, it's not for everyone but luckily our schedules are flexible enough to make it work and as long as he enjoys playing, we will continue to drive him.

DroptheGloves

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-27
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »

It all started when we decided to leave our local Club (20 mins from home) because he wanted to play tier. Hockey is a tough sell where we live and local team could barely field an A team... Leaving our local club turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made for our kid.

Originally planned to play for Ontario PWAA but Ontario was denied a PWAA team right before tryout so OC was the next logical stop. Everything went well at OC last yr but practice 3x a week Mon Tue Wed did eventually put stress on my son's grades. School always came easy for my kid but coming home at 11pm 3 days a week caused grades to dip a bit and assuming 8th grade only gets harder, we had to make the difficult decision to leave despite the OC team being the best team he has ever been on development and team harmony wise...

Luckily, he was able to join a good team with a 2x per week practice schedule (Wed & Sat) with talented 04's and some he knew previously. Downside being it's even further than OC... My kid likely could've gone closer to Ontario this year but the 2x per week schedule and opportunity to grow with an all 04 group, knowing they will likely all be together next year, were the deciding factors.

Driving such distance can be a pain but at times I find it almost therapeutic... My work can be extremely stressful and driving and spending time with my kids on the road relaxes me... Never really runs into heavy traffic, carpool lane and speedpass pretty much the whole way. Like I said, it's not for everyone but luckily our schedules are flexible enough to make it work and as long as he enjoys playing, we will continue to drive him.

Best of luck to you !  and your son :)