This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Squirt A 2017-18  (Read 115353 times)

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
Re: Squirt A 2017-18
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
 JK2 tied the Jr Gulls 7-7.  Guess I called that one wrong.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:53:43 PM by Hockeymomx »

KNRFMLY

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2017, 11:38:42 PM »
Any scores to report?  All I know is JD2 5-Heat 1.

JD1 vs Golden Bears 5-3

JD1 Wins

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »

I was *told* the refs were some of the worst we’ve had in a while, and the game was really chippy and dirty... I’m proud of the way our kids stuck up for their teammates. I wasn’t too impressed with the sportsmanship of the ice dogs. But if you’re one of the parents there, it’s not that surprising.

Ha! Not sure what 'stuck up for their teammates' you're talking about, but I was referring to the mummies and daddies who were screaming about the NO calls.  You're right, what matters is on the ice.  Sounds like the Ice Dogs were too physical.  Good to know. Sour'HockeyDad07's team don't like the rough play when its the other team. Looking forward from the vrspartak, who had been silent, to report today's whining.  I mean, winning.

Calls should be made when a distinct advantage/disadvantage is created (hook/hold that keeps an opponent from getting to a puck), when the safety of the players is threatened (dangerous boarding play or roughing after the whistle), or when it's just blatantly obvious what happened (e.g. obvious tripping). All three types of calls were missed when Gulls played the Ice Dogs. So yeah, people yelled.

Rough play is fine when it's clean and within the context of the game, and two teams are battling hard after a puck or for position.  I'd just prefer not to have 10 year-olds punching each other in the head after the whistle. But it doesn't surprise me that you're into that kind of stuff.

Hockeydad30

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »

I was *told* the refs were some of the worst we’ve had in a while, and the game was really chippy and dirty... I’m proud of the way our kids stuck up for their teammates. I wasn’t too impressed with the sportsmanship of the ice dogs. But if you’re one of the parents there, it’s not that surprising.

Ha! Not sure what 'stuck up for their teammates' you're talking about, but I was referring to the mummies and daddies who were screaming about the NO calls.  You're right, what matters is on the ice.  Sounds like the Ice Dogs were too physical.  Good to know. Sour'HockeyDad07's team don't like the rough play when its the other team. Looking forward from the vrspartak, who had been silent, to report today's whining.  I mean, winning.

Calls should be made when a distinct advantage/disadvantage is created (hook/hold that keeps an opponent from getting to a puck), when the safety of the players is threatened (dangerous boarding play or roughing after the whistle), or when it's just blatantly obvious what happened (e.g. obvious tripping). All three types of calls were missed when Gulls played the Ice Dogs. So yeah, people yelled.

Rough play is fine when it's clean and within the context of the game, and two teams are battling hard after a puck or for position.  I'd just prefer not to have 10 year-olds punching each other in the head after the whistle. But it doesn't surprise me that you're into that kind of stuff.

When our kids played the Ice dogs during preseason there was one or 2 of them that threw punches because of frustration.  My kid was one that got punched twice and since ref didn't call it he decided to just lower his shoulder putting the kid into boards. After he was put into boards they both ended up in the box.   No big deal part of the game in my book. 

vrspartak

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2017, 01:22:11 PM »

? Don't know what that means. Gonna be an interesting season. Top 4 is essentially the same as it was.

Gary Sargent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »

Jr Gulls and Jr Flyers play to a 3-3 tie.

Gulls dominated the 1st and were up 2-0 at the end. Could have been more, but kids kept missing the net with shots. Not sure if Valencia got a shot on net in the first or not, but definitely no quality scoring chances.  2nd period was Gulls controlling play again at first, but Flyers roar back with 3 goals in like 5 minutes or so and dominated the rest of the period. End 2nd with Flyers up 3-2. The 3rd period was hard fought with good plays on both sides.  Gulls chip in one to tie it up and the game ends knotted 3-3.

I thought Gulls were the more physical team, and since there were only 2 linesmen for the game (where the hell was the 3rd ref?), a LOT of obvious penalties went uncalled, mostly committed by Gulls.  In fact I think there was only 1 called all game, and it was a dubious tripping call against the Flyers.

Overall, I thought Flyers were more Run n Gun and created numerous odd-man rushes for themselves, but also gave a lot up.  If the Gulls could put their shots on net, it could have been a big Gulls win.  On the flip side, if the Flyers could have converted more of their rushes, it could have been a big win by the Flyers.  Fun game to watch.

We asked about the officials and as it turns out the center ref called in sick.  The two remaining refs were actual first year rookies.  Possibly didn't know you were not allowed to check in Squirt Hockey?  The less the refs called the more aggressive each team became.  Your summary of the game was spot on.   My opinion may be skewed by that particular game.  Our team played against both Gulls and Dogs in preseason and I would say the Gulls were far more physical. 

Hockeydad30

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Predictions for the weekend

Gulls over Mariners close game 2 goal difference at most
Ducks 2 over Ducks 1 by over 2 goals even though these two teams know each other well
Flyers over Empire  by over 4 goals
Ducks 3 over Heat  close game 1 or 2 goal difference
Kings 2 over IceDogs close game 1 or 2 goal difference

give it a rip

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »

Ducks 2 over Ducks 1 by over 2 goals even though these two teams know each other well

I think you got all the winners correct, but I don't see any of them as close 1-2 goal games.

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »

Agree with the winners, and I also agree some of the games will have a greater goal differential like the Gulls and Mariners games.

nuffsed

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-15
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Flyer HockeyDad30, did you by chance get the idea for a profile name from Hockeymomx?  sometimes I wonder how some people live life these days. be original.

good try predicting the games this weekend.  please, dumb it down for some of us that prefer the +1, -3 etc. type point spread system.  way to be modest against the Empire.  your team is better than a -4 differential against that team.

I agree with the winners though, but I call an upset for Ducks 1 to TIE Ducks 2.

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
JD2 5 JD1 2

Hackey11

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »

Empire 9 vs flyers 4

JustAnotherHockeyParent

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
Wow! Gulls beat Mariners 7-2.

Disco Dan

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +17/-32
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2017, 01:03:22 PM »
Kings (2) 9, Ice Dogs 0.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:03:57 PM by Disco Dan »

Hackey11

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
Flyer HockeyDad30, did you by chance get the idea for a profile name from Hockeymomx?  sometimes I wonder how some people live life these days. be original.

good try predicting the games this weekend.  please, dumb it down for some of us that prefer the +1, -3 etc. type point spread system.  way to be modest against the Empire.  your team is better than a -4 differential against that team.

I agree with the winners though, but I call an upset for Ducks 1 to TIE Ducks 2.

I guess they weren't better than -4! They weren't ready!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:41:48 PM by Hackey11 »