This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: LAKHSL 2017/18  (Read 10348 times)

Bantam B Dad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-0
LAKHSL 2017/18
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
West Ranch looked really good at the IHE Tournament last weekend.  It seems that the level of play in this league is continuing to improve.  Say what you want about 16AA or 18AA but in my opinion in a couple of years High School Varsity in Southern California will have completely replaced those divisions. 

cog254

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +13/-3
Re: LAKHSL 2017/18
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
I beg to differ....after playing in both Ducks and Kings league and now18AA...there is significant difference , I think D-1 Ducks is AA caliber and higher for most part....but the 18 AA team we on now would have destroyed our middle of pack Varsity team from Kings league last year (Torrance)

peanut

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:06 PM »
We'll know more soon but my guess is 3 or 4 good teams in the LAKHSHL and 3 or 4 non competitive teams as usual. Looks like we're down to 9 Varsity teams (from 10 last season). Significant financial backing ends from the Kings after this season. We're already losing free Blackdog coverage and gaining snippy emails from the Kings about late payment fees and schedule issues.

IHE Tournaments

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
International Hockey Events is looking for ONE more JV team to complete the high school line up at the 2017 Del Mar Outdoor Tournament Series.

This unique west coast event offers all of the games played in the 4000 seat Del Mar Grand Arena on an NHL size sheet of ice. This Chalet style structure offers the outdoor experience with a roof for protection from the elements.

USA Hockey Sanction # 17.18-CS-01
Four game guarantee
December 21st thru 23rd (All JV conclude by 3:00 PM on the 23rd)

Rendering of rink in link below

http://internationalhockeyevents.com/images/2017-Del-Mar-youth_170907.png

Registration info at internationalhockeyevents.com

powerplay

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
I don't think so for three main reasons.

First and most importantly is the lack of movement.  You go to a school that has a program you play there whether good bad or awful.  The school also dictates what level they play at ie D1, D2, D3 or even JV only which can fluctuate year to year. Unless you move schools.  Unlike picking any club and level team you are able to make. 

Secondly the wild level of skill disparities many teams have.  After going through 4 years of ADHSL we saw players on our team/divisions that ranged from AAA to never having put gear on before.  Very few club teams see this especially at the tier level.

Lastly commitment level at the high school level in large part isn't there.  What I mean here is multi faceted.  Many schools struggle to field a full team.  Being an activity instead of sport get many teams relegated to low priorities for school resources such as the weight room.  Often players miss practice, dry land and even games regularly.  Tier level players miss large chunks of games.  Again very few tier level teams see this.

Obviously there are a few of the big programs that are immune to this but most of them are private schools and come with a very large tuition bill. 

Bottom line is that playing in the ADHSL allowed my son to play for his school and was more for fun even with all the league's shenanigans.  Where his Tier teams were much more about competition.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:01 PM »
West Ranch looked really good at the IHE Tournament last weekend.  It seems that the level of play in this league is continuing to improve.  Say what you want about 16AA or 18AA but in my opinion in a couple of years High School Varsity in Southern California will have completely replaced those divisions.

There is no good high school hockey in a vacuum.  Good high school hockey has and always will be as a supplement to travel hockey.  Certainly in High School it is not unusual for kids who are great athletes to make it onto a team as a depth player, but everyone knows that the High School teams rise and fall with the talent level and depth of the nucleus which for successful teams is always kids that have already played Tier for most of their youth and frequently are playing both High School and travel.

Given the high cost of the sport, I understand that for a lot of kids and their families they might need to make a decision between the two, but purely from the standpoint of what constitutes good hockey,  it's just common sense that if you are playing a team where 8 players are at travel level, and 4-6 aren't that isn't going to be the best level of competition. 

Compared to travel, High School hockey is a lot more fun and exciting.  As kids get older, travel hockey games get stale, even if they are far more challenging and competitive.  High School offers the chance to be recognized by peers and receive some of the appreciation and support that kids who play football or basketball get, especially if the team is winning games and finding a fanbase within the school. 

If you have a robust youth hockey system, they support each other.  Certainly for some people, it's going to be one or the other, but that should be the minority of players. If the majority of travel players are able to play both, then you get the best of each, and in the traditional hockey markets, that is what you see.  You don't see High school killing off travel hockey, and if that is where things are going, then it's not good for the state of the sport.

peanut

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »
If you head to Bakersfield, don't bring the siblings. Parents there like to use unfiltered language and emotions  ;)

Bantam B Dad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
Unfortunately that has been the way there for the few times we have played at that rink as well.  Parents cheering dirty hits by the hometown boys and encouraging a very unsportsmanlike atmosphere.  Probably my least most favorite rink to have my son play.