This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: New USAH Icing Rule  (Read 9933 times)

Oilers_Dad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
New USAH Icing Rule
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
What are your thoughts on the New USAH Icing Rule?  It caught me off-guard yesterday during our first pre-season game.   There were several parents perplexed anytime the whistle was blown for icing while on a penalty kill (myself included).  Make sure you remind your son/daughter if there coaches haven't done so already.

I for one don't really care.  At this level, I see just as many goals by the short-handed team than the team with the power play so I don't see it changing the dynamic of the game.  The only downside is it is yet another rule that causes confusion with kids who enjoy watching NHL games (and play NHL video games) and have to learn two sets of rules.

http://www.cohockey.org/news_article/show/813481?referrer_id=1405481

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: New USAH Icing Rule
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »
If I'm a coach I'm telling my kids to ice the puck, unless they have a giant opening they can skate into.  It's a dumb rule that can't possibly do what it purports to do. If anything it does the opposite, because now defenseman on the PP will no longer be learning how to collect iced pucks, and turn things up ice, sometimes under pressure from aggressive forechecking.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
I bet this rule makes it to the NHL in the next couple of years. Why should the penalized team get the advantage of icing the puck? At least the kids still get to make a line change on the icing.
And why even argue this in Squirts and most Peewee...most kids can't ice it if they tried. Maybe you get an extra two whistles a game, probably less than that in Squirts.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
I bet you it doesn't.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »
IMO the rule would be more interesting in the NHL coupled with the no change allowed when there is icing.   For the kids...just take the icing and change.  Probably better, especially for squirts who are always the best at changing.

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
It's dumb, but at least they didn't couple it with the NHL rule of no line change after icing. That would have made it way worse.  Silver linings i guess...