This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Poll

What do you see as the best Mite playing situation?

Crossice
7 (36.8%)
Half ice
9 (47.4%)
Full ice
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Mite B 2017-2018 SCAHA  (Read 18087 times)

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
Mite B 2017-2018 SCAHA
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:56 PM »
As we wait to get official schedules for the jamborees and confirmation for all the tournaments I figured we could get a thread rolling.  Looking forward to the season.  Feel free to share your thoughts.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
Re: Mite B 2017-2018 SCAHA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »
I still can't believe we don't know this weekends schedule.

How is everyone's team looking?

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
We got our schedule for the first three weekends today.  I guess we will have an idea of where we stand after Saturday. 

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
Did your team play in a Labor Day Tournament?

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
We had no Labor Day tourny.  Today is our first jamboree.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »
How did everyone's teams do?

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
Saw lots of smiling faces and kids having fun out there. The JD teams looked good.  Ice Dogs and Lady Ducks were competitive. Didn't see any of the Gulls games.

On a gameplay note:
The players had no direct access to their sheet on the one section with full ADM boards.  There was less than 30 seconds of playing time per shift in some cases.  This was caused by an often unattended door on the ice between crossice sections that the players could not open. It was unacceptable. I'm sure some rinks are better suited than others and some sections of a crossice setup work better.  IcePlex/SCAHA/teams/officials need to address this or everyone is just wasting their time and money.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Saw lots of smiling faces and kids having fun out there. The JD teams looked good.  Ice Dogs and Lady Ducks were competitive. Didn't see any of the Gulls games.

On a gameplay note:
The players had no direct access to their sheet on the one section with full ADM boards.  There was less than 30 seconds of playing time per shift in some cases.  This was caused by an often unattended door on the ice between crossice sections that the players could not open. It was unacceptable. I'm sure some rinks are better suited than others and some sections of a crossice setup work better.  IcePlex/SCAHA/teams/officials need to address this or everyone is just wasting their time and money.

We played in Carlsbad and didn't have that problem. I don't think our Mite team has played at the IcePlex but that seems ridiculous and should be addressed. You should have your Club Director email the SCAHA mite director and let him know what happened so he can address it with the rink.

I know Mite games are basically just scrimmages but when shifts get cut down to 30 seconds of actual playing they need to fix that.

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
Re: Mite B 2017-2018
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
The situation from the first jamboree has been addressed with the team/club.  We will see if SCAHA takes note or if they give the benefit of the facility to fix the problem on their own.  Back at IcePlex again tomorrow for jamboree #2. 

Looking forward to watching the progression of our team and the teams we have seen so far.  This is certainly a great division to see dramatic improvement over the course of the season.  Player skill sets are developing and teams start to gel. 

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
Looks like they are going to try and pseudo split the Mite B division until an upper and lower group.

That would be good as there is a wide range of experience level in Mite B.

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
It looks to me, they are splitting North & South. Other than that I see no rhyme or reason to any of the jamboree matchups/scheduling. Many games against the same teams, lots of out of town “home” slots and a general lack of variety.  There is no shortage of teams or competition, just a shortage of transparency and involvement with SCAHA clubs.  — End rant.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
Supposedly when the rest of the schedule comes out they are going to try and keep "upper tier" B teams playing each other as much as possible.

They are also having talks to create a Mite "C" next year since there is so much of a discrepancy in skill level in Mite B this year. I also hear they may be moving next years Mite B to half ice and Mite "C" would be cross ice like now.

MiteyMom

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »
Anybody know if SCAHA will be posting the MITE schedule?

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »

Seems SCAHA is not acknowledging a Mite division this year.  Of course dues are paid and jamborees are scheduled between clubs but nothing posted on the SCAHA site.  I understand it may have something to do with some clubs not fulfilling all requirements to be in good standing with local governance. 

As far as a tiered system goes, that would be great for development in theory.  We shall see.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »

Seems SCAHA is not acknowledging a Mite division this year.  Of course dues are paid and jamborees are scheduled between clubs but nothing posted on the SCAHA site.  I understand it may have something to do with some clubs not fulfilling all requirements to be in good standing with local governance. 

As far as a tiered system goes, that would be great for development in theory.  We shall see.

The SCAHA Mite Director Jim Burcar sent an email yesterday and it need with "[size=78%]The balance of the 8U schedule should be released very soon."[/size]