This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: No more Pickwick?  (Read 8045 times)

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
Re: No more Pickwick?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
One less rink in LA for me to drive to from Orange County.  :D :D :D

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
15 more kids competing for your kid's roster spot

The Hun

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »
It's going to take years of legal fights, lawsuits, etc. A big part of this neighborhood is zoned for recreational purposes (large horse properties, rink, park), so an environmental impact study needs to be done.  And that will show that re-zoning for a huge residential complex with hundreds of new residents crammed in a small area will destroy the character of the neighborhood.
The residents can't just sit and do nothing, watching the value of their homes plummet and their lifestyle changed.

So, yes, it will take years.

But I wonder whether the Kings would be interested to invest in reviving this rink. To me, it would make sense. Keep the name alive (the Bears is a very old club), and use them to promote the Kings brand.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:47 PM »
Just rumors but I heard that the Kings org already put in an offer to buy Pickwick Ice.  They would also want the moribund conference center, and would build a second rink.  Plenty of land there to make that happen, and easily could be a top notch facility.   

The problem has been for quite a while that the conference center and bowling alley have been propped up by the Ice rink, but the family that owns the facility is really just looking for a cash out at this point. 

Jokes aside, the last thing LA hockey needs right now is to lose another rink.  Would be a real issue for the Bears as well, and quite a shame considering the program they have built over there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:02:51 PM by lcadad »

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
but hey if  the Rink closes and the Bears go away, I dont need to drive to LA, and my kids team will have one less Loss, therefor a happier kid and i wont need to hear all of his bitching why the refs suck, his teammates suck, his coach sucks, and one less day to hangout with that one dad/family/teammate no one likes that weasels himself into going to lunch after the game with your group of friends.
SO I SAY BULLDOZE DOWN THAT BITCH!!

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
LOL!

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
It's going to take years of legal fights, lawsuits, etc. A big part of this neighborhood is zoned for recreational purposes (large horse properties, rink, park), so an environmental impact study needs to be done.  And that will show that re-zoning for a huge residential complex with hundreds of new residents crammed in a small area will destroy the character of the neighborhood.
The residents can't just sit and do nothing, watching the value of their homes plummet and their lifestyle changed.

So, yes, it will take years.

But I wonder whether the Kings would be interested to invest in reviving this rink. To me, it would make sense. Keep the name alive (the Bears is a very old club), and use them to promote the Kings brand.
There is no way that the residents will ever allow a huge complex to be built not in even 100 years