This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Hey Yorba Linda, fix your rink.  (Read 10946 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Hey Yorba Linda, fix your rink.
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
Had the misfortune of playing a pre-season game at Yorba Linda.  My experience the last few years there, is that the ice is soft and they have some sort of issue with compression/heat or whatever.  You know there is something wrong when the kids can't get a decent warm up in, without losing pucks in pools of water that don't freeze up until after the first whistle.

A few years ago Pickwick was just as bad, so I know bad Ice when I see it -- pucks going under the zamboni door etc., was highly embarrassing.  They did a full tear down, sank some money into lighting and maintenance, and the ice is much better now.

As for YL, a kid on our team speared himself badly on the 2nd shift of the game when he attempted to dig a puck and his blade went into the Zamboni door crack.  On the next shift, a puck was cleared around the same side, and karoomed out into the middle of the ice at a 35 degree angle.  The doors and the ice near them need work, and this is not, I'm guessing something that just popped up.   I don't want to see some kid badly hurt. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:05:20 PM by lcadad »

Bystander

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-2
Re: Hey Yorba Linda, fix your rink.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:08:13 AM »
Wow, your puddles dried up after the first period? Whenever we play there those puddles stay the entire game. Makes for a very interesting hockey/water polo hybrid game. Almost as bad as old Ontario.

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:11:49 AM »
Had the misfortune of playing a pre-season game at Yorba Linda.  My experience the last few years there, is that the ice is soft and they have some sort of issue with compression/heat or whatever.  You know there is something wrong when the kids can't get a decent warm up in, without losing pucks in pools of water that don't freeze up until after the first whistle.

A few years ago Pickwick was just as bad, so I know bad Ice when I see it -- pucks going under the zamboni door etc., was highly embarrassing.  They did a full tear down, sank some money into lighting and maintenance, and the ice is much better now.

As for YL, a kid on our team speared himself badly on the 2nd shift of the game when he attempted to dig a puck and his blade went into the Zamboni door crack.  On the next shift, a puck was cleared around the same side, and karoomed out into the middle of the ice at a 35 degree angle.  The doors and the ice near them need work, and this is not, I'm guessing something that just popped up.   I don't want to see some kid badly hurt.

I feel your pain but The Rinks will not put any more money into the YL rink. Once the 4 sheets of ice open in Irvine the rumor is that YL and Westminster will be sold off or just closed. Also, once Irvine Ice opens, the JD won't need to pay for ice time at KHS so I wonder how long they will stay in business. And, since the owners kid just got drafted by the Wild, the owner won't need to fund his son's hockey career much longer. So that's 3 sheets in OC that might be closed in the next 2 - 4 years. We'll see what happens...

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »

I feel your pain but The Rinks will not put any more money into the YL rink. Once the 4 sheets of ice open in Irvine the rumor is that YL and Westminster will be sold off or just closed. Also, once Irvine Ice opens, the JD won't need to pay for ice time at KHS so I wonder how long they will stay in business. And, since the owners kid just got drafted by the Wild, the owner won't need to fund his son's hockey career much longer. So that's 3 sheets in OC that might be closed in the next 2 - 4 years. We'll see what happens...

YL + WI + KHS2 = 4 SHEETS OF ICE NOT 3

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:18:41 PM by WCHP »

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »

Below the hard deck doesn't count, just as Rink B at KHS shouldn't count.  Nobody should have to watch a game, much less play one, on that sheet.

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »

Below the hard deck doesn't count, just as Rink B at KHS shouldn't count.  Nobody should have to watch a game, much less play one, on that sheet.

That's what I meant by three sheets. I hate having my kid practice on Rink B. I'd never consider playing a game on that rink. Although it was used for a 14U A game a year ago...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:16:54 PM by BBNMCAS »

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »

That's what I meant by three sheets. I hate having my kid practice on Rink B. I'd never consider playing a game on that rink. Although it was used for a 14U A game a year ago...

Rink B may suck, but the really the worst thing about KHS is the woman that runs the snack bar there. she is the cheapest person i have ever dealt with, one time a kid got hurt so i went to go get a bag of ice, he said i had to give her $0.50 for the ice, i didn't care, so i gave it to her and then she opens the ice machine and no ice  :-\ :-\

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
The snackbar is bad, that is assuming there is actually someone working it.  But the bathrooms are pretty grim, even by grimy rink standards.  I'm surprised NASA and the NIH haven't been in to collect samples from what's growing on the walls.  Could be of interest in the search for alien life or new sources of bacteria not yet identified. 

I'm not sure why people would complain about rink B, I mean we are talkng about a legit CAHA weekend facility! Just so long as you don't actually want to watch the game, rink B is just what you need for high level Tier2 competition.  We had our Squirt A playoffs there too!!  :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:57:07 PM by lcadad »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
Interesting that the Rinks are letting YL run into the ground.  Perhaps they should reconsider the way it's plastered with their organizational logo. 

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
It is a shame that they've let the boards go for so long.  It's a great place to watch games, great beer selection, great skate sharpening, minimal figure skating impact, good sized locker rooms.  I say keep YL alive!

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:36:10 PM »
and where else will the rich people go who live in the hills go to escape the smell smoke of wild fires while little johnny goes and plays hockey? #YorbaLinda4Life
;D ;D ;D why, they'll head over the 241 to Irvine of course!!