This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: World Jrs 2017  (Read 9352 times)

pucklawyer

• AHL
  • LR Justice +136/-59
World Jrs 2017
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
Well, it's the most exciting time of the hockey season.  World Jr 2017.

Last year, Finland shocked the world (...except me and my son in our prediction!  Lol!)

Before I get into the Gold Medal prediction for this year, I will mention a few kids to watch...anyone with a cage on!!!  A cage means that the kid could be playing youth hockey.  But of course, he is NOT...

Why?  Because the kids in the cages are so friggin good that their respective countries figured it out and play pro hockey...So check out Rasmus Dahlin (Sweden)...Did I mention that this kid is a 2000 birthyear ???  No CAHA Select needed for him to go to....

So, first upset game??? Latvia...over US...is it possible?  Yeh, it's possible...but I do like Tyler Parsons in net...However, Latvia has a bunch of Major Jr players (3) and some Swiss league kids and they also have some NAHL/USHL and I think the US team could be looking too far ahead and forget to play today's game today.   

US has two Major Jr players and an AHL player.  They cut 3 OHL players...hum, I don't like that...but USA Hockey has to "develop" somebody...

Canada, enough said, stacked offensively (Gauthier!!!)...the defense is suspect.  And the problem for Silvertip's Hart is that he was questionable over the summer in the Summer Showcase and well, yesterday, he almost blew it against the Swiss in the pre-Tournament game...Swiss' cage player Nicko Hischier is incredible...but everyone knows that as he is leading scorer in the QMJHL, Halifax Mooseheads.  He clearly showed against Hart, hey just shoot it...it will go in...and with every young goalie and Hart is apparently no exception, if the floodgates open, they open big...so Canada will have to win games by big scores...

Russia, experts said, good as usual...no surprise...how old are those kids anyway???

Finally, Sweden:  Sweden Takes GOLD.  The list goes on and on...Oliver Kylington (Stockton Heat AHL).  I just saw him play last week in Bakersfield, spectacular...and believe me the AHL is the real deal. when compared to these kids  Next, Alex Nylander (Rochester Americans AHL), never heard of Nylander name before...!!!  Rasmus Dahlin, (2000 birthyear) next Eric Karlsson?  And Felix Sandstrom in net...all Tournament Team as usual...

Finland proved that you only need 4 players to win Gold in World Jrs...and I think Sweden has those four, at least four!!!       

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
Re: World Jrs 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »
Early Christmas present with that impressive analysis!  I'm actually excited to watch it now!

pucklawyer

• AHL
  • LR Justice +136/-59
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
WOW....OK...don't read this if you follow Danish Hockey...oh wait, you already know!!!

Can the speed skating dominant country pull off a miracle?  I think they just did...twice...Denmark over Finland and now Denmark over Czech Rep...!!!

But a little closer to home of who to keep an eye on, don't forget to watch Cernak of Slovakia (LA Kings future star)(and Clague on Team Canada) and of course, Jacob Larrson of Sweden (Anaheim Ducks future star).

And how about Swiss Nicko Hershier!!!  OT winner over Czech...

So if you are reading this right now (12:45 p.m.), Russia vs. US...(NHL Network).   

pucklawyer

• AHL
  • LR Justice +136/-59
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
Congrats to US and Canada!!!  Gold medal game tonight...should be epic!

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
Another great year in Juniors.  Another year of upsets.  I thoroughly enjoy watching these young guys play their hearts out.  You have to love a new kid making an impression.

The only detraction I can offer is the medal games should not go to shoot outs.  Despite a win by my USA team I would have loved to see additional overtimes.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
Even my kids said the gold medal game should not have gone to a shootout. 

I really like Chabot, the Canadian defender.  He's ready for the next level.  Smooth and makes great decisions with the puck, with good defensive scoring.  Reminds me a little of Scott Neidermayer.

I enjoyed watching the different styles of play.  Canada was very calm under pressure, nothing flashy, but no wasted movement. Very methodical in their approach.  I thought the US was a little more dynamic offensively.  The Canadian players looked a little longer. 

I was intrigued to learn that Canada had 10 first round NHL picks on their team, and the US had 7.  These are the best junior players in the world, and they still need time before they develop into NHL players.  Will be interesting to watch who develops at the NHL level.  It also highlights just how good players like McDavid, Matthews, Laine, etc. are, who are all junior age eligible, but dominant players at the NHL level.

BU was well represented, with a total of 7 players:  6 on the US, and 1 on Canada.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
The styles were a contrast.  I cringed many times with the US making no look passes and always trying to "make" a play, Canada worked more with what was there.  It worked out this time. 

I have to agree about Jrs vs NHL.  Watching Jrs reminds you how the NHL is a whole other level.  Mc David and Matthews not only make the cut but make an impression.  Amazing.  Laine got a recent reminder this is the bigs in NA....... not Europe.

pucklawyer

• AHL
  • LR Justice +136/-59
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:31:25 PM »
Pay attention fans and parents....show well in World Jrs as an underager and guess what...1st overall...Hischier...surprise???  Nope...and there is a Cali 2001 to keep an eye on...if you have been around you know who the boy is....not living fulltime in Cali right now but has a legit chance!

Of course, Daigle and Stefan selected #1....so you never know....and a decade ago a former Wave player was taken 29th in the 1st round and before PK Suban....nevertheless the NHL draft is great stuff.

LA KINGS PICKED UP A STEAL!!!!

KEEP WATCHING TOMORROW AS MAYBE KHS HAS A PARTY...GOOD LUCK K....ORIGINAL WILDCATS PRIDE.