This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Did CAHA get it right?  (Read 11004 times)

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
Did CAHA get it right?
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
The first Weekend is in the books.  Both flights seemed to be fairly close in talent wise.  The games were competitive.  No huge blow outs. Looking at Bantams it looks mostly the same way.

It may be that both CAHA flights will have very competitive games all year while SCAHA will still have some games that will be one team dominating and embarrassing another. 

Is it too soon, or did CAHA do a good job of sorting the wheat from the chaff?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:25:57 PM by Puck Yeah »

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
Re: Did CAHA get it right?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
I believe it was the correct move, that way the real AA teams will improve and not have to play teams that don't belong in their division.

The A teams will be able to call themselves AA and the parents can brag and say their kid plays AA, plus they will also improve playing at the correct level.  Win win for all!

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
The first Weekend is in the books.  Both flights seemed to be fairly close in talent wise.  The games were competitive.  No huge blow outs. Looking at Bantams it looks mostly the same way.

It may be that both CAHA flights will have very competitive games all year while SCAHA will still have some games that will be one team dominating and embarrassing another. 

No they didn't get it right IMO.

Should have forced a couple weak teams to A and done one flight in Bantams.

Ducks 17 Wave 1 in Flight 1

Flyers 12-1 over Ducks flight 2

more then a few 5 or more goal wins too.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
12 to 1 in flight II definitely reflects a problem.

coachbombay

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »

No they didn't get it right IMO.

Should have forced a couple weak teams to A and done one flight in Bantams.

Ducks 17 Wave 1 in Flight 1

Flyers 12-1 over Ducks flight 2

more then a few 5 or more goal wins too.

I think he was just referring to the midget division. Definitely some issues in bantams.

RW

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-2
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
They got it almost right.  Should've been 10 in Midget Flight 1.  Based on last weekend, the top two Flight II teams will coast through the season and not be challenged much if at all....and they have proven that they can more than compete with some of the lower Flight 1 teams already.  Sucks for them.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »
If you landed in Flight I, the system worked as intended.  If you landed in Flight II, you may be having second thoughts.   I feel the overall goal will be seen next year.  The number of AA teams should drop significantly.

The teams that feel them most pain are the teams that started the season with injuries or newer players.   I have seen enough hockey to know that some teams each year pick up momentum and land in the final 8.  They get there by playing better teams.   In a way, this eliminates those teams from the hunt. (bummer).  You can say they will finish in the top of Flight II, but there are no better teams to push them unless they start orchestrating games outside of SCAHA to push their growth.

coachbombay

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
They got it almost right.  Should've been 10 in Midget Flight 1.  Based on last weekend, the top two Flight II teams will coast through the season and not be challenged much if at all....and they have proven that they can more than compete with some of the lower Flight 1 teams already.  Sucks for them.

I am going to disagree with you. the two teams you are referring to belong exactly where were placed. Pasadena has only one player and OC 1, although a hard working group, does not have the talent to compete with the upper teams.

RW

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-2
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »

I am going to disagree with you. the two teams you are referring to belong exactly where were placed. Pasadena has only one player and OC 1, although a hard working group, does not have the talent to compete with the upper teams.

I don't disagree with you completely, however, the main point was that a couple of those Flight 2 teams are probably going to roll through that Flight all year without much of a challenge, which isn't great for the development of the kids on those teams. 

By the way, I'm not sure, but I think OC 1 has already beaten a team or two from the lower group of Flight 1.  Maybe they'll get the chance to do it again in the play-in game at the end.   It is what it is at this point.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »
If you landed in Flight I, the system worked as intended.  If you landed in Flight II, you may be having second thoughts.   I feel the overall goal will be seen next year.  The number of AA teams should drop significantly.

Do you really think it will cause AA teams to drop significantly across all age groups?  I think it is going to push more teams to go for the extra letter at the lower tier.  In some cases smaller clubs may be pushed to stay together and go for the lower tier.  In PW there are  already 22 PWA teams (in SCAHA alone), then 6 - tier 2 teams and 10 - tier 1 teams. 

I think the whole thing will be deemed a headache and dropped.  Yes, many games are competitive but was it really worth the price? No one in the United States evaluates teams like this.  If necessary, it isn't something that should occur until Thanksgiving. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:38:57 PM by Hockey05 »

locked out

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-3
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
The SCAHA Midget AA games between the Flight 1 and Flight 2 teams are a joke.  Parents and coaches need to be more realistic about the level of hockey they choose.  When teams are being outshot 45 to 5, 50 to 6, or the worst I have heard was 60+ to 1.  Come on people.  This isn't good for anybody.  Maybe this new CAHA system isn't perfect, but playing these lopsided games again in CAHA would be a disaster.  If we as parents and coaches would take a more realistic approach, we wouldn't need CAHA to step in and tier the division.  Unfortunately, since we wont do it ourselves, I am hoping SCAHA will follow CAHA's lead next season.

The other option would be to have CAHA or SCAHA force a couple teams down.  Maybe then people would be more realistic.

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
The two level system is exactly what Caha needed, now they just need to do the same for the Scaha games and they will look like hero's!

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
the correct two level system that I am use to is called AA/A - not AA1/AA2

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
the correct two level system that I am use to is called AA/A - not AA1/AA2

Right! They already had a system in place.

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
Well nobody wants to play A in California, this makes them feel like they're getting more for their money being able to call little Johnny a "TIER PLAYER" I don't see A surviving past this year at the Midget level.