This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The end of the Titans?  (Read 51746 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: The end of the Titans?
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
Indeed, GSE, the Reign and the Jr Gulls all had to apply for the glorious honor of playing amongst the JK, JD and Sharklings.

They must be besides themselves with joy.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
The broken system called CAHA
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
In deciding to move forward and not granting one age group five AAA teams (if not more), CAHA has once again gone against USA Hockey, what is being done in other states and statistics provided by intelligent hockey parents on this board. 
CAHA's rules should be scrapped.  Whatever happened in the past should be forgotten.  Do you really need prerequisites to field a AAA team when you have six different divisions at some levels that include flight 1 & flight 2?

But besides that I'll make the argument that CAHA won't think twice about the sacrifices being made by parents at any level and even less outside of AAA:
1. They had every tier team statewide travel to San Jose for a pre-season evaluation.  Regardless of placement, regardless of good team or lousy team, in hindsight did anything positive come from Labor Day weekend? 
2. There is no reasonable explanation why geographical divisions can't be set up for large divisions at lower levels.Does an A team with 20 + teams in their division really need to travel from San Diego to Bakersfield for a regular season game? 
3. Do you really need to have a Nor Cal CAHA weekend when all the teams in flight 2 at multiple levels are from Southern California?  Or is this part of the discouraging teams from playing up theory which is clearly going to back fire when big and small clubs decide to play up just to be placed in the lower tier. 

In conclusion,
CAHA cares enough about your player only to continue to fund the club their board members represent.  This isn't about player development, it is about legalities, club protectionism and business.  It is no wonder why every serious hockey family with a son or daughter with potential has to consider leaving the state.  And players continue to leave in droves.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:42:54 PM by Hockey05 »

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
I find this sad news.  It is a shame, as the Titans are a decent organization.  Yes, their teams struggled,  but they do have some really good kids and players.  Watch even more talent leave California. 

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »
For those of us who live in the "in between areas" of the state, this is tough. For many of us who live in the northern part of LA and the central Valley, we no longer have any viable options for challenging midget level hockey next year. It's pretty sad and really, this is not how you grow the sport unless the plan is to limit it to big city kids.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:21 AM »
I think the biggest challenge for growing the sport is actually the competition, much of it due to the climate.  There is SO much to do in CA.  You can also play other sports all year round in CA.  You go to MN and even tiny little rural towns of 1,700 people like Warroad develop NHLers.  That and the expense of early development in CA due to paying for ice.  Cold climate have kids that live on the ice all winter.  There is nothing like no Dads no Coaches pond hockey for developing young players.  Creativity gets unleashed.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
I think the biggest challenge for growing the sport is actually the competition, much of it due to the climate.  There is SO much to do in CA.  You can also play other sports all year round in CA.  You go to MN and even tiny little rural towns of 1,700 people like Warroad develop NHLers.  That and the expense of early development in CA due to paying for ice.  Cold climate have kids that live on the ice all winter.  There is nothing like no Dads no Coaches pond hockey for developing young players.  Creativity gets unleashed.

I don't agree with this at all. CA is actually loaded with talent. The problem is the talent must leave the state to advance. Top CA teams are top teams when they travel East they show well.

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
This whole CA hockey is so depressing.

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
Top CA teams are top teams when they travel East they show well

I agree with the above statement as my son's team (16AA) went to the Jr. Bruins tournament and won their games except fr a loss to a 16AAA team by 2 goals including an empty netter.  Thy also went to CCM Chicago and went 2-1-1 (loss by a single goal).  The only time they were  little outclassed is when they went t Richmond BC and completed in the Tier 1 division - only 1 win. Then again too they were not playing well at that time.
So talent wise CA is not that much different. However they do not get the same ice time they may in a state like Minnesota that has much more frozen ponds.

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2018, 02:00:06 PM »
Also the Ducks 1 16 AA team has done well back east too.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »

I don't agree with this at all. CA is actually loaded with talent. The problem is the talent must leave the state to advance. Top CA teams are top teams when they travel East they show well.

I am not sure I agree that they must leave.  They do leave but if the talent just stayed home California would be a power house.  Much like all of the talent in the SCV thinking they have to go play elsewhere.  If they all played at home. Valencia would be a State contender every year.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2018, 06:49:28 AM »

I am not sure I agree that they must leave.  They do leave but if the talent just stayed home California would be a power house.  Much like all of the talent in the SCV thinking they have to go play elsewhere.  If they all played at home. Valencia would be a State contender every year.

What I am saying is that if kids want to move up and play AAA they basically have little choice but to leave. Sure in SOCAL you have a couple teams that are basically picked already. Also in places that are thriving they allow more then 4 AAA teams in the state.

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
I agree. Same thing in NorCal. The Jr. Sharks AAA teams are typically pre-determined (not always the best players too) along with the NorCal Selects. Some players don't even need to show up.