This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: New goalie moving into the area  (Read 12787 times)

LookingForAnswers

New goalie moving into the area
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
Ok, so I posted in the Squirts section last year thinking I was going to move, but this is the year that I'm moving down to SoCal.  I've been talking to people about the selection process, and it seems that for goalies the coaches are not experts at selecting goalies, try outs are just a formality and coaches don't base selection off of the tryouts.  BTW, this piece of information is coming from one of the goalie coaches down there.  We will be either in Cerritos or Irvine.  Will the AAA to A Jr. Ducks team practice out of the new ducks facility?  Also, how do the Wave compare to the other SoCal teams?

Go Kings_26

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-22
Re: New goalie moving into the area
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:09:39 AM »
Since the goalie community is pretty small, I'd have to agree with your assessment; however, a lot is decided at the clinics leading up to tryouts.  What birth year is your son/daughter?  Different clubs have stronger/weaker teams at different birth years.  I'd look into finding the right coach and not so much the club.  I also recommend hitting up the pre tryout clinics. 

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
My kid is an 07.  Do the teams carry 1 or 2 goalies?

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
Most teams in Squirt A carry 2 and have both dressed out as goalies for games, swapping once (or more than once) during the game.

hockeydad21

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »
I would just reach out to the coaches that have 07 teams in the area. If your kid is good enough to play for one of the top teams and you want him or her to you won't have many options. Basically you want to look at the Ducks and Kings with the Ducks being the significantly closer. If you are okay with not playing on a top team then you have a lot more options including the Wave and Gold Rush. You just need to figure out what your priorities are. Traveling distance? Goalie coach? Team?

Either way I would reach out to all of the coaches that have 07 teams in the area to get a lay of the land. Think Ducks, Wave and Gold Rush and if you are Cerritos you can also consider the Kings.

GOALIE-STARS

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »
Welcome to Irvine/Cerritos! We train goalies out of KHS and Lakewood Ice up the 405 freeway. Team options for you in the Irvine area are many and include several options GoldRush, Ice Dogs, OC Hockey Club, Jr.Ducks etc. BTW I heard the Ducks facility at the Great Park might open around October 2018...Just what I heard.

As for options your best bet is to get to as many open coach held skates and clinics as possible leading to AAA tryouts held in May and for AA to A levels and below are In June. You may want to get to know as many coaches as you can and ask the right questions about goalie philosophy and goalie training, get a a feel for their coaching style, commute time etc.

As for us we will be holding a SoCal Elite Goalie Camp out of Lakewood Ice on Sat and Sun May19-20 and that is right before Tier II  AA—A Tryouts. I know there will be some coaches coming to evaluate  goalies and review the available talent. Our camp will have about 18 Squirt /Pee-Wee goalies and another 18 Bantam/Midget level goalies attending. If you are interested in learning more and would like to get info about different programs and their coaches feel free to reach out to us at www.goalie-stars.com and good luck with your new home!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:34:22 PM by GOALIE-STARS »

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »

Thanks for all of the information.  I don't know how things work in SoCal, but are the teams separated by birth year i.e. 06 and 07 or are the teams comprised of both 06 and 07 birth years?  Is the competition in Socal comparable to Vancouver, BC?  I'm not expecting my daughter to make AAA but AA to A would be fine with me.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind her being on a slightly weaker team just so she can get shots and have to carry the team.

One last thing, right now my daughter's association provides lots of goalie coaching and that's something I'm fearful that goalies are considered an after thought by SoCal associations.  I really don't want to be on a team where the coaches just see the goalies as target practice for skaters.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:01:08 PM by LookingForAnswers »

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »
AAA will be difficult to jump right into, but there are plenty of options.  Some teams have some goalie coaching, but Goalie Stars (etc) are the extra time that you'd need to think about.  Lady Ducks are the only AAA girls program in CA. The LA Lions are starting to build a girls program.  Girls get to double roster so for extra time (and money) you'd get a chance to play boys/girls and all girls.  Girls need different exposures at tournaments and those are typically back east.  So keep that in mind the Lady Ducks have sent over 100 girls to NCAA Ice Hockey programs.

Stanley

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-10
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »

Thanks for all of the information.  I don't know how things work in SoCal, but are the teams separated by birth year i.e. 06 and 07 or are the teams comprised of both 06 and 07 birth years?  Is the competition in Socal comparable to Vancouver, BC?  I'm not expecting my daughter to make AAA but AA to A would be fine with me.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind her being on a slightly weaker team just so she can get shots and have to carry the team.

One last thing, right now my daughter's association provides lots of goalie coaching and that's something I'm fearful that goalies are considered an after thought by SoCal associations.  I really don't want to be on a team where the coaches just see the goalies as target practice for skaters.

With respect to comparisons with BC, my sense is that the stronger AA teams in CA would do ok in BC, but that the stronger BC teams are with rare exceptions significantly better than anything we have here at the AA level.  (I can already hear the incoming fire for that, but it's the truth.)

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
I misspoke saying "plenty" of options for AAA there are a few here not quite "plenty"

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses.  They have been extremely helpful.  So just a little more info, my daughter plays on a development team (10u) where they play A1/A2 (Flight 1/2/3) teams in BC.  So I'm hoping that she at least gets that level of play coming down to California.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:29:34 PM by LookingForAnswers »

OCHockeyDad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »
To get a general idea of the level of the SCAHA Sq A teams have a look at http://www.myhockeyrankings.comision_info.php?y=2017&d=351

That has rankings and you can see what other teams they have played.