This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Options  (Read 14618 times)

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
Options
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »
As we end another year of SCAHA/CAHA participation, we start to look to the next year. As the parent of a 16U kid, I realize that time is running out. My son is good but not great - he still wants to play at a competitive level, but where?? We live in central California and to me, it looks like hockey is becoming more elitist rather that "hockey is for everyone." It takes us 90 minutes to get to Valencia. Two hours to Simi Valley and even longer to metro LA/OC. Now that the Titans are kaput for next year, that leaves AA. Those options are also vaporizing. High School hockey? Nah. It looks like I have to consider prep school somewhere. I just am not thrilled with sending my 15 year old off just yet. Any thoughts? Any other options?? I feel even worse for the kids in Fresno, they have even fewer options.

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
Re: Options
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »
Only option I can add is to find a AAA or even AA program you/he likes and have him billet.

It's awful, isn't it?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
There is high school hockey (Kern County, perhaps SB Royals).

For AA Valencia has a well established midget program, and some kids have moved to play Jr. in the WSHL at Valencia.

Hockey10

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:56:37 PM »
How far are you from Bakersfield? I believe they will be trying to field a 16AA team again next season.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
Prep school or relocate the family out of state (hell of a price to pay, isn't it?), but that's where we are.

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »
Interesting responses.  How are his grades?  Do you envision him going to a good college or do you think he has a chance at going to the NHL or being a D1 commit like so many others chasing the AAA?  One of the things I've learned from going to numerous college camps is that the scouts lament that most of the kids on the ice will not qualify to get into their colleges.  Because of that, you'll also find at these camps are a wide variety of juniors teams looking for players with promises of making the jump to Junior A and then on to D1 colleges or the NHL.  Sadly, most will wind up in the adult beer league alongside all the other kids that were promised glory and put their college on hold.  So, a decision you should make at this level is which is more important?  College or playing a high level of hockey.  The amount of school you will miss in any high school league or AA is doable.  Grades will take a hit, but perhaps not so much.  At the AAA level, your son would miss a lot of school (maybe dozens of days) and if he is a junior, will also need time to start studying for college exams (SAT/ACT).  Someone mentioned prep school.  Expensive, yes.  However, all prep schools have huge endowments and can be free is your son has really good grades and you are in financial need.  Even if you aren't, merit scholarships are given if a team is in need of your player and their grades are high.  Although prep school is a huge jump, it will prepare him for college better than anything here in California and the level of hockey is much higher since you are playing ages 14-20 with a number of these players being D1 commits.  So, you need to consider your time in a car, time on the ice and available study time unless college isn't a big deal or you son is going to take the Jr. College route.  Good luck!

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »
Interesting responses.  How are his grades?  Do you envision him going to a good college or do you think he has a chance at going to the NHL or being a D1 commit like so many others chasing the AAA?  One of the things I've learned from going to numerous college camps is that the scouts lament that most of the kids on the ice will not qualify to get into their colleges.  Because of that, you'll also find at these camps are a wide variety of juniors teams looking for players with promises of making the jump to Junior A and then on to D1 colleges or the NHL.  Sadly, most will wind up in the adult beer league alongside all the other kids that were promised glory and put their college on hold.  So, a decision you should make at this level is which is more important?  College or playing a high level of hockey.  The amount of school you will miss in any high school league or AA is doable.  Grades will take a hit, but perhaps not so much.  At the AAA level, your son would miss a lot of school (maybe dozens of days) and if he is a junior, will also need time to start studying for college exams (SAT/ACT).  Someone mentioned prep school.  Expensive, yes.  However, all prep schools have huge endowments and can be free is your son has really good grades and you are in financial need.  Even if you aren't, merit scholarships are given if a team is in need of your player and their grades are high.  Although prep school is a huge jump, it will prepare him for college better than anything here in California and the level of hockey is much higher since you are playing ages 14-20 with a number of these players being D1 commits.  So, you need to consider your time in a car, time on the ice and available study time unless college isn't a big deal or you son is going to take the Jr. College route.  Good luck!

Nice insightful post.

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
Thanks for the great info. He is truly a student first, athlete second. He is a 4.0 with honors and AP courses. Hasn't taken the SAT, but his PSAT scores are excellent. I am not super excited about sending away to prep school or junior hockey, but it looks like those are our two options. He wants to make D1. He has the grades to do it.
[/quote]

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
He wants to make D1. He has the grades to do it.

He needs to have superior hockey skills.  Academics alone won't cut it

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
He wants to make D1. He has the grades to do it.

He needs to have superior hockey skills.  Academics alone won't cut it

True but grades are super important and they will take a kid a bit lesser in skills with a high GPA.

The downside is Goalies odds are even smaller since a team will only carry a couple. 

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
Also I was told that now most colleges do not look hard at players who have not played juniors.  That may be different for prep school players however - and things do change quite ofteen too.

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
One of the reasons why playing Juniors is so important for many is because in many travel leagues, they are tied to birthyear and the competition you face are kids your kid's age.  I was told if your kid is playing in an age group higher than his own, that is when he gets the most attention.  Sure, there are exceptions, but they are very few and at age 16, they pretty much know who they are already.  In Juniors and high caliber prep schools, your 14-16 year olds are playing against kids as old as 20, when you add the Post Graduate Year for some.  The pace of play is very fast and more comparable to Juniors than playing Tier hockey here.  Several families I know have opted to prep in the last few years and have spoken very highly about it.  There are plenty of breaks for you to visit or for your son to come home and they are supervised closely.  In Juniors, your son will move in with a billet family and there is far less supervision and exposure to some things that might cause you some concern depending on the situation your son finds himself in.  If your son's grades are that high and he is good (with good size and speed), the colleges will find him easier as they rarely come out west.  There is no budget for them to scout that far whilst the far majority of D1 schools are back east.  Same with DIII schools.  There are really only club hockey in colleges out here, which have some strong programs as well.  If you don't mind your son putting college on hold, then take the Juniors route if he is good enough.  If you want your kid to start college right out of high school, prep school will afford him more opportunities in both hockey and academics.  Just beware if you take the Juniors route.  There are a lot of pretty lousy clubs that will tell you what you want to hear, not the truth and understand your son will start colleges in his twenties.   

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
One of the reasons why playing Juniors is so important for many is because in many travel leagues, they are tied to birthyear and the competition you face are kids your kid's age.  I was told if your kid is playing in an age group higher than his own, that is when he gets the most attention.  Sure, there are exceptions, but they are very few and at age 16, they pretty much know who they are already.  In Juniors and high caliber prep schools, your 14-16 year olds are playing against kids as old as 20, when you add the Post Graduate Year for some.  The pace of play is very fast and more comparable to Juniors than playing Tier hockey here.  Several families I know have opted to prep in the last few years and have spoken very highly about it.  There are plenty of breaks for you to visit or for your son to come home and they are supervised closely.  In Juniors, your son will move in with a billet family and there is far less supervision and exposure to some things that might cause you some concern depending on the situation your son finds himself in.  If your son's grades are that high and he is good (with good size and speed), the colleges will find him easier as they rarely come out west.  There is no budget for them to scout that far whilst the far majority of D1 schools are back east.  Same with DIII schools.  There are really only club hockey in colleges out here, which have some strong programs as well.  If you don't mind your son putting college on hold, then take the Juniors route if he is good enough.  If you want your kid to start college right out of high school, prep school will afford him more opportunities in both hockey and academics.  Just beware if you take the Juniors route.  There are a lot of pretty lousy clubs that will tell you what you want to hear, not the truth and understand your son will start colleges in his twenties.   

Thank you. This is great info.

In The Crease

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +38/-12
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
I think some very good information from Pulsar.  There are always more details and specifics that only apply to your family.  I would simply add not every prep school provides a better education than your traditional high school in California.  In fact many are far inferior.  California followed by New Jersey have the best "Public" rated High Schools.  Also, to say 14-16 year olds playing against 20 year olds is a stretch.  I believe I read the average age of Junior Hockey is 20 yrs old and avg age of College is 23 yrs old.  Many prep schools have multiple teams.  Prep, Varsity, Junior Varsity, 16 U, and even club.  So which team is your kid playing on?  If it is the Prep, then they are likely juniors and seniors.  The exception is always a phenom who would play at a much younger age.  That is far and few between.  Again really good information from everyone, just really do your homework for how it affects you.  Just my opnion, not saying anyone is wrong.  Just so much to consider and think about.

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »
This certainly isn't absolutely holy grail of rankings, but just to give you an idea...Six in the top 10 have first rate hockey programs with a number of D1 commits.  Keep in mind, there are only 60 total D1 hockey schools in the nation and you are competing for a limited amount of scholarships and spots with not only this country, but Canada, Europe and Asia as well! 

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-schools/?gradeLevel=high&type=charter&type=magnet&type=traditional&type=private