This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Options  (Read 14066 times)

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
Re: Options
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »
I feel that if your player has arrived 16U and it is not clear on where they can/should play, the question answers its self in a manner of speaking.  Save your money, find a close rec team, or plug into HS hockey.

In 10 years, You will be grateful you did, and will be several thousand dollars richer.

Honest Opinion here.

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
fistocuffs you think like I do. Unfortunately the kid has big dreams. I'm in the research-all-options part of the journey. There are days I think he can go as far as he wants, and then there are days I'm thinking mediocre HS hockey at a rink 10 minutes from our house is great. In the wise words of a former coach "all roads lead to beer league."

WTF

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +11/-12
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
fistocuffs you think like I do. Unfortunately the kid has big dreams. I'm in the research-all-options part of the journey. There are days I think he can go as far as he wants, and then there are days I'm thinking mediocre HS hockey at a rink 10 minutes from our house is great. In the wise words of a former coach "all roads lead to beer league."

I used to think this way until a few years ago I watched my 16 year old grow a foot in a year, do well in juniors and end up with a diii significantly partial scholarship and entrance in to a great school back east, in which he is doing very well.  the problem is you never know which kid will do well as late developer.

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »
I agree with WTF.  I remember all the little superstars back in Mites and Squirts and how so many thought they were destined for the NHL.  Those in the know laughed and said to wait and see.  Sure enough, as the other boys grew, they caught up quickly and through hard work, passed those superstars.  In the Bantam level, you see so many kids leave hockey.  They don't like the hitting. But standby for midget....the hitting gets intense and only those who workout all year will excel.  Size is a factor.  Scouts drool over size, speed and stick handling.  If you kid is a goalie, no matter how talented, scouts will look at the parents and see if they will be in the 6-2+ range.  Many kids will continue to grow from 16-20.  But all that being said, most will wind up in the beer league so don't sacrifice school for hockey.  If you want the best of both worlds, prep school is likely the answer. 

Racetonowhere

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +11/-14
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
Goalies tend to develop later than skaters. If you can afford it, and don’t mind sending him away, I would vote for prep school.

In The Crease

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +38/-12
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

I used to think this way until a few years ago I watched my 16 year old grow a foot in a year, do well in juniors and end up with a diii significantly partial scholarship and entrance in to a great school back east, in which he is doing very well.  the problem is you never know which kid will do well as late developer.

Good point by WTF.  Kids develop at different rates.  DIII can't offer athletic scholarships, but they can offer for academic or financial scholarships.  If they want you bad enough, I am sure they will find a way.  As someone else said, grades need to remain a focus.