This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Coaches....and Coaching  (Read 19586 times)

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
Coaches....and Coaching
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »
Id like to hear from everyone and who they think are the [/size]Best coaches at the Bantam and Midget Tier level hockey are. I’m my opinion i see a lot of coaches that can train well ( privates) but don’t really Develop kids in practice and game situations. Kids aren’t being held accountable and lines are simply just rolled. Not sure we can mention names but from what  I’ve seen at the Bantam AA level The Bears Bantam AA obviously have a great coach. And i think Empire Bantam AA have done an amazing job with what they have ( they lost a few solid players in the last two seasons) And OC 1 when the Vancouver Canucks head coach was on the bench. (Upset the bears) So, let’s hear it... who do you like??

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
Re: Coaches....and Coaching
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
How great it would be if they had YELP reviews for hockey coaches! Since coaches change would be impossible to predict who is where come next season! I can say just because it says AAA does not guarantee the coaching level is AAA! Just means you’ll pay more to learn that lesson. The flip side, a successful coach this year does not guarantee a successful year with a new crop of players! The AAA clubs often search for talent outside their club. Why? Because they often fail at developing players properly in their own club. It’s a chain of good coaching that makes good teams and those teams stick together for good coaching. There are good coaches and there are coaches simply going through the drills and blaming the players for lack of success. A coach that develops good players into a good team is not based on what Tier level they coach, rather their experience, drive and enjoyment in doing so. I wish it was as easy as picking a restaurant, but thus far a coaching review website doesn’t exist! Unfortunately what a bad coach can accomplish is making kids hate hockey. That, unfortunately, seems to happen at every level!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:21:45 PM by HockeyPop2297 »

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
How great it would be if they had YELP reviews for hockey coaches! Since coaches change would be impossible to predict who is where come next season! I can say just because it says AAA does not guarantee the coaching level is AAA! Just means you’ll pay more to learn that lesson. The flip side, a successful coach this year does not guarantee a successful year with a new crop of players! The AAA clubs often search for talent outside their club. Why? Because they often fail at developing players properly in their own club. It’s a chain of good coaching that makes good teams and those teams stick together for good coaching. There are good coaches and there are coaches simply going through the drills and blaming the players for lack of success. A coach that develops good players into a good team is not based on what Tier level they coach, rather their experience, drive and enjoyment in doing so. I wish it was as easy as picking a restaurant, but thus far a coaching review website doesn’t exist! Unfortunately what a bad coach can accomplish is making kids hate hockey. That, unfortunately, seems to happen at every level!!!
After i wrote this, i actually though about adding that
There should be a yelp app for hockey coaches.
It’s really unfortunate that so many kids are not really learning the game.
The lack of accountability is alarming.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 11:40:12 PM »
So start a Yelp review.

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 07:06:10 AM »
So start a Yelp review.
Who looks on Yelp for coaching?
It needs to be a forum like this i think...
suggestions?
Itd be pretty helpful for sure to be able to see some coach reviews.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:50 PM »
One of my son's favorite coaches stopped being Titans coach and went to JK and younger kids.  Loved the JK u15 part time coach, until that coach fully lied, and mislead him.  Good coach though.  JK u14 staff is excellent.  JK Bantam AA coach will be a good one too.

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
Saw this question on another age group and would be interested in knowing if it would get any responses at this level:
“Anyone have a coach(team) that they are 80% happy with that would care to share info?”

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »
So start a Yelp review.
Who looks on Yelp for coaching?
It needs to be a forum like this i think...
suggestions?
Itd be pretty helpful for sure to be able to see some coach reviews.

Ok, so start a thread with a poll that allows rating coaches.

WIPIH

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-6
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »

Development wise Bantam AA Empire Coach is one of the best my kid has played for. Except for power play where he has two lines, He rolls lines which helps players learn all game situations. Practices are well run even when he doesn’t have assisstant coach on the ice. He doesn’t always attract the best talent because he doesn’t aggressively recruit like some other coaches / clubs do still his team ends up in top 2/3 year after year. I heard he will have three AA teams this year PW, Bantam, & Midget. He is more of a systems guy and doesn’t force u to do stick time / skating lessons with him but you have to work on that with other coaches or him if you’d like. He doesn’t use cuss words but gets his mesaage across pretty good. Some people do not like gym for PW, Bantam minor year players. If you are one of them, he is not your guy as gym is mandatory for all his practices, lessons. We’re glad we’ve gotten to play for hm and will go back if the opporunity presents. Hope this is helpful. Good luck for upcoming try outs to all.

quote author=HockeyPop2297 link=topic=4121.msg46187#msg46187 date=1519925335]

Saw this question on another age group and would be interested in knowing if it would get any responses at this level:
“Anyone have a coach(team) that they are 80% happy with that would care to share info?”

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
So we can't come up with one coach to recommend :'( ?

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
So we can't come up with one coach to recommend :'( ?
i'll start Alex Semenov over at the Ice Dogs, best coach my son ever played for, might not be the type of coach your looking for but a great guy.
Another great guy in the in house level for kids that are just starting out is Steve Manomon over at The Rinks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:17:04 PM by WCHP »

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:23:15 PM »
Peter Torsson, California Golden Bears

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
I'll second all 3 of those!  Each for a different level of development.

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
Alex Semenov is by far the best coach my kid ever had... would have never left him but the Dogs couldn't put bantam team together when my kid turned 13 so we had to leave him.  Only negative about him is where he works.

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
In NorCal....Larry Cahn....best coach either of my kids have played for....in any number of sports....bar none.