This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee AA 2018-19  (Read 196717 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: Pee Wee AA 2018-19
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
That's unfair to the Oilers... they should probably be with Everyone Else.

;D   The Kings1 team is pretty stacked, but that comes with a different type of pressure.  GSE can tell you all about being favorites and front runners at the PWAA level. 

keepdrinkinthekoolaid

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +16/-3
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
Scrimmage update, 8/19/18:
Jr Ducks1 4 - CA Wave 2
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:57:09 AM by keepdrinkinthekoolaid »

Carl Henry

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-5
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
Bears71, I cant wait for the Kings 1 to Scrimmage the 84-85 Oilers, so that we can crown a champion. Some pretty good scrimmages coming next weekend.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
Good games all around. Finally. But looks like it should be a cakewalk for Kings 1.
I'm your Huckleberry

keepdrinkinthekoolaid

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +16/-3
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »
Good games all around. Finally. But looks like it should be a cakewalk for Kings 1.
Where do we find the list of scrimmages, that have happened and that will be happening before The Jamboree?

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »
There was a little jamboree up North this weekend but it doesn’t matter what happened.  Sounds like the Kings  1 are champions.  No need to play this season I suppose.

overHEATed

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-1
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
If GSE2 is the same GSE from Carmen Star, (roster says that it is) Calder's team rolled them. Not even a competitive game and they picked up two studs that weren't on that Carmen Star roster.
Looks like they scrimmaged the Sharks 1 team (3 games). Stats are posted, but no final scores. GSE2 had a higher goal count, I assume they won all or most games.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »
There was a little jamboree up North this weekend but it doesn’t matter what happened.  Sounds like the Kings  1 are champions.  No need to play this season I suppose.

You bring up a point, but GSE does know a thing or two about dominating during the season... and then face-planting in the playoffs.
I'm your Huckleberry

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
Every year is a new year.  Completely different kids so history means nothing.  Glad to see the season kicking off and the chatter starting.  Congratulations on already crowing the Kings.  Hilarious

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
Your lack of faith is disturbing...
I'm your Huckleberry

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Here’s a partially informed view and some wild guesses on how the teams seem to stack up.  If anyone knows birth year composition and/or first two round Jamboree opponents for any of these teams, please speak up.   I have tried to rank only because Flight 1 could be anywhere from 6 to 10 teams, and the devil is in finding the dividing line.  Very tough trying to sort out the bottom half/Flight 2...

1a. Ice Dogs 1 (Riley).   06 birth year team.  Looks like 2/3 of the team that took second in AA Flight 2 last season and added in AAA/AA players from other clubs.  Took second at Minnesota Stars and Stripes and competed at Elite (true AAA) level at CS. Gets Kings 1 and the Reign to start Jamboree. Lock for Flight 1. 

1b.  Kings 1 (Calder).  I believe another 06 birth year team.  Easily the best PWAA team in El Segundo and the overwhelming favorite among Kings 1 parents.   Looks like 2/3 PWA alumni and a couple PWBB studs topped off with AAA/AA players from last year.  Can’t say if ID1 or K1 (or GSE 2) is better on paper, but its more fun to put Kings 1 as 1b, and it relieves them of the pressure of being the favorite.  Gets Sharks 1 and ID1 to start Jamboree.  Lock for Flight 1. 

3. 1.c.  GSE 2 (North). Based on the weekend, looks like the best team in NorCal, with a fair amount of separation from the other NorCal teams.  Tough to calibrate with SoCal teams but upon confirmation that they dominated GSE 1 as well can't have them at third.  Get Gulls 2 and Ducks 2 to start Jamboree.  Lock for Flight 1.

4. Empire.  PWA team from last season returns largely intact.  Forward lines stronger than Ducks 1 on paper and beat them on ice.  Can an Empire parent comment on birth year composition of the team?  Big gap between them and  Top 3 but should be a Flight 1 team regardless of size of Flight. 

5. Ducks 1 (Runtso).  07 core from PWA last year, but lost key 05D and some scoring.  Added in some 06s (on blue line?).  Various pre-tryout incarnations of the team scuffled, and they already lost a scrimmage to Empire (but beat Wave).  But tough to see CAHA not giving Ducks a Flight 1 team.  After that, the team has great coaches and should only get stronger each week.  Gets Gulls 1 and Wave to start Jamboree.  Only danger is if SCAHA goes with 6 team Flight 1.

6. Gulls 1.  Said to be an 06 core group returning most players from last year’s team  that took 5th in Flight 2, with PWA/BB and Squirt A players mixed in.   A version of this team played tight games against Cal Patriots (Kings 1-ish) and Ducks 1 at CS. Gets Ducks 1 and Sharks 1 to start Jamboree.

7. Wave.  A lot of top PWA players with a couple of AAA/AA alumni mixed in.  Seems stronger than Runsto Ducks on paper but lost to them on ice.  Other warning signs:  close games against Bay Area Blazers and ID2 at CS and  was (is?) still looking for skaters after tryouts.  Gets Ducks 1 and ? to start Jamboree.

8.  Sharks 1.  Mainly returning PWA players from last season.  Based on weekend play, seems to be at least one step below GSE 2.  Good indication that division is weaker is that a Sharks team is in the discussion for making Flight 1. Gets Gulls 1 and Kings 1 to start Jamboree. 

9. GSE 1 (South).  Don’t think a GSE team has ever finished outside of Top 10 at PWAA. Seems to have had trouble generating offense this last weekend.  Gets Ice Dogs 2 and ? to start Jamboree.

10. Ice Dogs 2 Semenov.  06-07 team.   This team has some veterans of tier play that will have to get most of the playing time to be mid pack team at Flight 1.  Very disappointing showing at CS.   Match ups at Jamboree should help.  They may be in danger  of getting the 17-18 Flyers' treatment if CAHA goes with a 10 team Flight 1. Gets GSE 1 and Gulls 2 to start Jamboree.

11. Ducks 2 (Tex).  Looks like a top group of Squirt A players joining core of 07 birth year team that had a great showing last season … at Squirt A.  Tough to predict which players' games will translate at AA level.  They clearly have political pull in the Ducks to get an AA slot in place of an 06 team, and Ducks have great influence within CAHA.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see CAHA put them in Flight 1 over a better team(s) like last season.  Gets GSE2 and ? to start Jamboree.

12.  Blackhawks.  Bueller?  Bueller?  Don’t know anything specific about this team. Club had poor showing in Flight 1 last year, and last year’s PWA team was awful. Seems like a stretch for the club to make Flight 1.  Gets Sharks 2 and Kings 2 (?) to start Jamboree.

13.  Kings 2.  08-07 core team.  Gets Blackhawks and ? to start Jamboree.

14.  Gulls 2.  07 based team.   Said to be core 07 from Squirt A with PWAA, A and BB players mixed in.  Gets GSE 2 and ID2 to start Jamboree. Fun times.

15.  Valencia.  Looks like the core of the group is a talented group of Squirt A players from last season.  Aggressive practice schedule and good coaching, but still a reach for Flight 1.  No PWA team potentially makes a target for relegation

16.  Pasadena Maple Leafs.   A bunch of PWA kids with some Squirt BB studs mixed in.  Still looking for players after tryouts.  No PWA team potentially makes a target for relegation.

17.  OCHC.   Little carry over from last year’s AA teams.  Pre-tryout group did not fare well at PWA at the Rinks tournament

18.  Jr. Reign.  Traditionally field weak “multi-rink” PW AA teams that don’t     practice as a team. Was still looking for players after tryouts.

19.  Sharks 2.  Eyeballing the roster, the core of team seems to be from their Squirt A team.  Club has had recent problems at AAA and  AA level and probably does not have depth for two AA teams.  Had a tough weekend and would look like a possible candidate for relegation. Gets Blackhawks and Kings 2 to start Jamboree.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:30:20 PM by TheFourthA »

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2018, 10:47:05 AM »
Excellent work, sir. Gold star for you.

But how dare you exclude analysis of the Kings 2 Chosen Few.  >:(
I'm your Huckleberry

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
Pretty dead board, particularly considering around half the teams will be eliminated from the playoffs next weekend.  Who did everyone draw at the Jamboree (if not posted above)?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:49:06 AM by 6607 »

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »
Pretty dead board, particularly considering around half the teams will be eliminated from the playoffs next weekend.  Who did everyone draw at the Jamboree (if not posted above)?
HaHa!  It's quite because everyone is seeing where their team is ranked and realizing they've been eliminated from the playoffs before the season started and wondering why they didn't just play A.  Sounds Bass Aackwards to me still.  Based on TheFourthA's ranking it should be more than than half getting eliminated.  Maybe top 6?  I meant the way they do things these days maybe the league championship should be decided when the Kings and Ice Dogs play?  Then we can all just go through the motions until the season is over.  I mean seriously, who gets better over the course of a season? 

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:29 AM »
I think those are just pre-season rankings going into the Jamboree. Perspectives will change after that, of course. But FourthA clearly has a strong grasp on player movement. The biggest question, though... as always, is if CAHA will really bump teams down to PWA, which already has 97 teams and their own parity problem, if not worse.

CAHA: We’ll solve one problem and create three more!!
I'm your Huckleberry