This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee AA 2018-19  (Read 189934 times)

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
Re: Pee Wee AA 2018-19
« Reply #435 on: January 24, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
The Condors - Dogs game was actually 6-4.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:49:33 PM by TheFourthA »

HockeyDad123

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-25
« Reply #436 on: January 24, 2019, 03:47:41 PM »
SoCal- So what you are trying to say is that both teams went out East and played competitive games against Tier 1 teams? Is there another CAHA team in Pee Wee AA that has played in a Tier 1 tournament this season? Funny how obsessed with the wins vs losses people are. Some parents look to see their teams/players challenged and not just search out the tournaments for the easy W. Funny how BOTH teams saw their ranking INCREASE after this. To each their own.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #437 on: January 24, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »
SoCal- So what you are trying to say is that both teams went out East and played competitive games against Tier 1 teams? Is there another CAHA team in Pee Wee AA that has played in a Tier 1 tournament this season? Funny how obsessed with the wins vs losses people are. Some parents look to see their teams/players challenged and not just search out the tournaments for the easy W. Funny how BOTH teams saw their ranking INCREASE after this. To each their own.

I actually agree with you - I was just pointing out who they played because just looking at results and "levels" doesn't tell the full story. And your point about ranking increasing shows how its not just about W or L, its about who you play.

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #438 on: January 24, 2019, 04:16:18 PM »
With all due respect, do you consider 5-1 and 7-0 losses being competitive?  So that means the 6-0 win over the Santa Clara Blackhawks was a competitive game as was the 9-1 shellacking the ID1 put on the Kings.  To each their own.  What were the SOG comparisons on these games.  To put things into perspective, scoring .75 goals per game sounds like maybe the teams were just toying with the Kings.  You can put any spin or fake news on this you want to draw up without more info.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #439 on: January 24, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
I'm sorry this is a Top 5 conversation...when GSE beats someone other than the Blackhawks or flight 2 teams then you will be allowed at the adult table.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #440 on: January 24, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »
Just to stir things a little - GSE beat ID2 twice...

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #441 on: January 24, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
GSE has 1 win against a team with a winning record...beating ID2 twice isnt stirring anything.

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #442 on: January 24, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
Let me start out by saying I know you are all good people and what follows is nothing personal.  Any parent who is as committed as all of us are to our kids are to be commended.  So well done!!!

I am going to leave the Ice Dogs out of this because frankly, that’s not a team you want to upset before facing them in the State finals.

As for this trip the Kings took back East.  There were two decent teams that were faced and losing 5-1 and 7-0 can hardly be considered competitive.  There are only 90ish tier 1 teams so to lose to the #37 team is meh at best as that team is barely ranked higher than the AAA Sharks.  Would you be bragging if you lost to the tier 1 Sharks?  So let’s take a look at the Hamilton Huskies.  They are ranked #42 out of #56 in Ontario League.  I just answered my own question.  They are the Sharks of Ontario and you are bragging about losing to them.  They are 11-32-10 with a minus 98 goal diff.  Congratulations only losing 3-1 and still moving up in the rankings.

With a little bit of math and a little bit of science, it isn’t hard to see that if you play AAA teams and lose every game even if not competitive your ranking will go up.  I think playing teams better than your own team is a great thing and great learning for the kids.  But let’s get real here.  Losing to bad AAA teams and then try to tie that to an increase in rankings is like saying if the Ducks 1 play enough games, they will somehow be a good team. They do now have some kids in the top 10 in stats after playing 436 games or something like that so congratulations to those little guys.

My hockey rankings are fun to see but there are so many missing scores from teams that don’t care about this stuff it is far from perfect.  It’s the best system available so grateful to have it.  Strength of schedule is the number 1 driver in the rankings.  All you have to do to be #1 is play half of the season against mediocre teams and win by 7 goals or more, then play the other half against higher tier teams and lose to drive strength of schedule.  Win win win!!!

Congratulations on traveling to play in a good tournament but let’s not get too carried away.  Those results aren’t good.  Still waiting on the answer to the SOG question from earlier on these games.  My hunch is they were pretty swayed to the East which is why no response.

Any team in Flight 1 can win on any given day and the rest of the season should be fun!  See you all in Vacaville!  Safe travels, especially if you try to land at Nut Tree Internationals Airport!

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #443 on: January 24, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »

If GSE beats someone other than the Blackhawks or flight 2 teams then you will be allowed at the adult table.

You posted that - I gave you an example, that's it. ID2 are no Blackhawks neither flight 2 - middle of the pack flight 1. Just won tournament in Phoenix.
I am not from GSE, not from ID2 - so just an observation...

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #444 on: January 25, 2019, 03:59:27 AM »
Fair enough.  Thank you for keeping a seat open at the adult table.

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »
If you do the math, you will likely find that the Kings rise in the rankings was a function of their past results, and not the results from Buffalo.  For the moment, at least, those are a slight drag on their rating.  Haven’t done the math for the Dogs, but I suspect the same is likely true for them as well.

The ratings may have some hypothetical flaws, but it’s not a system that is easy to game.  From what I have seen this year, most of the teams pass the eye test of their ratings, and the ratings generally correlate.  It’s not too much of a surprise that a great AA team is likely to lose and perhaps even badly to a great AAA team; I would put more stock in the fact that the Kings played a competitive game against a top 20 AAA team than the apparently non competitive game against a similar team.

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
What's up guys!  Anyone have any plans this weekend?  Any hockey games scheduled?   ???

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2019, 01:44:05 PM »
Just slumming in Vacaville over the weekend!

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #448 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:57 AM »
After NotFromSoCall's post, I am looking forward to GSE 2 v. Kings.  Also, Empire/Wave and ID1/Gulls, each of which could have an impact on final standings going into playdowns.

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
Should be a great weekend but lots of rain up North...  Travel safe!!!