This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Prep School Info  (Read 17885 times)

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
Re: Prep School Info
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »
There is a "split-season" that starts in late August and runs through November.  Most of the Prep Schools coordinate and allow split-season team participation.  They play around 30 games, along with a few tournaments.  Many are more "birth year" based, with two age groups (like 99 and 00) playing together.  It is not required in case your kid wants to play another sport, like football or run track.  Hockey season is over come March, however, most schools do require at least one other competitive sport for your child to participate in.  Personally, I see this as a good thing...tennis, golf, lacrosse, crew, baseball...I think even most hockey experts encourage multiple sport participation at this age group and you don't play the coaches game with clinics and false promises about making their team so they can get your $50 for each of their clinics.  At my friends school, they are on the ice every day, along with weight room and dryland.  Their son played Tier I last year and they said they get much more ice time and off-ice training since it is all located on campus.  From what I've heard, this level of hockey...at least at those schools where hockey is taken seriously, is much higher than AAA out here.  More ice time, more off-ice training, competition with older kids and much like college hockey, less travel but a lot more scouting, no paying for extra clinics along with the extra benefits of bigger crowds at games (not just parents), higher levels of education and no missed school and your kid will be much better prepared for college.  There is a hefty price tag, but there is money if your kid is good enough and smart enough. 

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
I just heard that at my friends school, there are four coaches on the ice (Varsity and JV) so that the kids get a wide variety of skill lessons, as well as PP drills and 3-on-3 games cross ice.  There is also a goalie coach.  Much more than the years of AA and AAA we've seen here so far. 

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
The Bears Club has a Prep-School showcase where the Top Prep-Schools come to Cali! it's a great event... Here is the link below for signups and more information about what to expect.

https://cgbhockey.sportngin.com/register/form/333584681?_ga=2.122390155.184579699.1512521968-21598511.1424928989

MO - I checked the link. Thanks for posting. Quick question:  The grade levels posted - is that this academic year?  So current 8th graders would be the first year to participate?

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
The Bears Club has a Prep-School showcase where the Top Prep-Schools come to Cali! it's a great event... Here is the link below for signups and more information about what to expect.

https://cgbhockey.sportngin.com/register/form/333584681?_ga=2.122390155.184579699.1512521968-21598511.1424928989

MO - I checked the link. Thanks for posting. Quick question:  The grade levels posted - is that this academic year?  So current 8th graders would be the first year to participate?
Hey M@! It's for what grade they are currently in right now, so you are correct. I heard that it's filling up pretty quickly, and they have more signups this year vs last year! Best of luck and I hope your kids has a great time!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:10:18 PM by MO-ICETIME »

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »

Hey M@! It's for what grade they are currently in right now, so you are correct. I heard that it's filling up pretty quickly, and they have more signups this year vs last year! Best of luck and I hope your kids has a great time!

Thanks MO. My son's in 7th - so we'll see about next year.

For what it's worth to the group - I was a Massachusetts public high school hockey transition to prep player. Albeit a while ago - like 25 years ago. In my experience back then, the transition occurs best after sophomore year, and most transfers repeat a year - with the benefit of playing longer, growing, and gaining experience. "PG's" - or post graduate year players are common too. They come for one year following high school - basically repeating senior year. They are kind of a wild card that can bolster the team for a year but also swoop on a position that maybe a younger player was hoping for. 

Preps and Private Catholics were the hockey powerhouses in Mass in the 90's - and I don't think too much has changed.  Academically you can't beat it.  And academics is important - because 25 years later - beer league doesn't pay the bills...

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »
Moving back east is starting to sound pretty tempting

D Lemieux

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »
As mentioned previously, Tahoe Hockey is a new institution and this year/season, they have made changes for the positive. This year the student athletes attend brick and mortar school and also have online courses. It's the student athlete's choice of brick and mortar or online or both. As we all know some students excel in the physical classroom while others do better with online courses. Their online program is NCAA compliant with the main focus of every player qualifying academically. It's also a benefit to have players stay in California and not have to go back East. Have you seen their facility? It's pretty nice.