This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?  (Read 286188 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Just wait till they move checking up to 16's next year. Then eveeryone will forget about flights.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »

I think an end of season tourney all depends on how many teams you have.  If you have 9 teams then why not have the top 4 in a playoff to see who represents to play the 8th place team?  Otherwise you have coaches that aren't as motivated at the end of the season or perhaps all season long once they know their team isn't finishing in first. 

To those who have been around youth hockey a long time have there ever been this many players leaving California?  It is amazing to me how many people we know with their son saying goodbye to pursue hockey elsewhere. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:39:19 PM by Hockey05 »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2018, 02:12:50 AM »
Yup, leaving the state in droves. 

Now let's talk about the Flight 2 playoffs.  The problem last season is that the Flight2 playoffs were announced half way through the season.  CAHA pulled the entire Flighting system out of their ass between AA tryouts and the jamboree -- Crappy planning and seat of the pants execution. 

At PW (oops sorry, I mean U12!) it's the apex of socal youth hockey:.  AAA(6), AA(16), A(22), BB(11), B(18) = 73 Teams!  (Not including Norcal non tier)

With that said, by the end of the season, given that the Flight2 playoffs were an afterthought, there were some teams that were simply ready for the season to be over, and others that saw them as an opportunity to focus on an end season goal.

From what I've heard, this season, CAHA plans to do away with the Flight 2 playoffs.  Bravo!  God forbid that Flight2 teams should actually have a pre-arranged playoff to motivate them throughout the season.    It seems to me, that CAHA is just lost.  There are only a handful of Norcal teams in the divisions across age groups, and one of them is essentially a multi-club all star team that weakens all of its member clubs.  I know that's an oversimplification, but it's more true than not.  Last season 2 out of the 3 Flight2 divisions didn't have a single Norcal team in it.

CAHA exists in order to objectively sanction competition between teams throughout the state.  When it did that, it had value, but then it got into the business of picking winners and losers, in a secretive process that is full of bias and politics.  The supporters of the Flight system will claim how it kept the competition level high for the Flight1 teams, and I'm sorry to call bullshit on that, but it's nonsense.  CAHA has no business enforcing "standards" when it sanctions AAA divisions that routinely have teams that get blown out by a 5+ goal avg. through the entire season. 

Here's some scores for you:

7-0, 4-1, 10-2. 

State championship 1st place team vs. 2nd place team.  2nd place team 0-3.  OMG, how can this travesty of non-competitiveness be allowed to go on! 

They force us all into an essentially meaningless jamboree on the weekend that used to be an opportunity for teams to start the season off with a tournament of their choice. 

The message to teams that would for the most part clean up and face little competition in the A division, but are realistically not capable of contending with the top 4-5 teams in the division, is that they don't deserve the opportunity to face any Flight1 teams in games that mean anything, even though you will probably end up playing them a few times in meaningless SCAHA games. 

What's guaranteed is that you won't play any of the Norcal teams due to the fact that there's only 3 of them anyways, and it doesn't matter that one or more might finish at the bottom of Flight2.  So what does CAHA do again?

Now in year 3 of this revolving door of rule changes, lack of transparency, and head scratching reasoning, I can't understand what benefit CAHA provides to Socal teams other than to provide a hopelessly 2nd tier AAA franchise, and 1 or maybe 2 top 8 AA teams.  In the flighting system, they have simply limited the top teams to playing a smaller pool of teams, which at the end of the day changes very little.  Clubs see less variation.  You play the same teams over and over until you are sick of them.  In general, the better team wins more often than not, and "blowouts" still occur on the regular between teams at the top and bottom of the flights. 

Last season, and again this season, the Bears have shown just how ridiculous and dysfunctional the CAHA system is.  What a surprise that people are looking for an escape from the system.  New trend this year?  Bantam age kids, many who have played years of travel hockey opting to play High school JV!  Yes, that's right, people thinking it would be better to put their 8th or 9th grader on the ice against kids they can literally skate rings around, with full checking that involves often unpredictable 15-18 year olds rather than have them continue in the california travel hockey system.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »
A lot of what you say is agreeable... even though I have to make a coffee and set aside 30 minutes to get through the whole thing (brevity!).  ;)

Anyone opting for HS JV (it's terrible) is not serious about hockey, and they'll probably be out totally a year from now. Sadly, if they were serious... they'd be heading east if they didn't like the politics, etc. Flight system isn't perfect... while well intended, you're probably right in CAHA getting LESS involved and allowing the chips fall where they may. We got here because the Wildcats caused trouble years ago, icing inferior teams for selfish purposes. Too much regulation is never a good thing. I've said this before, let teams do what they want in terms of icing teams, but enforce age limits in divisions and boundaries and the entire state would benefit. 
I'm your Huckleberry

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
New trend this year?  Bantam age kids, many who have played years of travel hockey opting to play High school JV!  Yes, that's right, people thinking it would be better to put their 8th or 9th grader on the ice against kids they can literally skate rings around, with full checking that involves often unpredictable 15-18 year olds rather than have them continue in the california travel hockey system.
[/size]
[/size]Bantam age kids and their parents now (thanks to the Ducks connections) have a viable option to keep in the sport without all the craziness.  Kids can play mostly locally with classmates they see everyday at school and without impacting the grades which in the long run is far more important unless you really think you're going to an NHL star (in which case you are already gone).   And for multi-sport kids, the less conflicting HS is pretty much the way you want to go.

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
kids, many who have played years of travel hockey opting to play High school JV!  Yes, that's right, people thinking it would be better to put their 8th or 9th grader on the ice against kids they can literally skate rings around, with full checking that involves often unpredictable 15-18 year olds rather than have them continue in the california travel hockey system.Bantam age kids and their parents now (thanks to the Ducks connections) have a viable option to keep in the sport without all the craziness.  Kids can play mostly locally with classmates they see everyday at school and without impacting the grades which in the long run is far more important unless you really think you're going to an NHL star (in which case you are already gone).   And for multi-sport kids, the less conflicting HS is pretty much the way you want to go.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »

Anyone opting for HS JV (it's terrible) is not serious about hockey, and they'll probably be out totally a year from now. Sadly, if they were serious... they'd be heading east if they didn't like the politics, etc. Flight system isn't perfect... while well intended, you're probably right in CAHA getting LESS involved and allowing the chips fall where they may. We got here because the Wildcats caused trouble years ago, icing inferior teams for selfish purposes. Too much regulation is never a good thing. I've said this before, let teams do what they want in terms of icing teams, but enforce age limits in divisions and boundaries and the entire state would benefit.

Gotta agree with you here.  Wildcats are part of it, and play up is another part.  In neither case did the situation warrant what they have turned AA into.

I do have to commend them for putting a halt on playup, but then again, they helped create the crisis when they agreed to let entire teams to play up in Squirt and PW(rules? what rules?) in the first place. The teams that everyone pointed to as validating playup have seen high turnover and came back to the field as many predicted they would.   There is no institutional memory.  Apparently, Flighting was tried years ago and abandoned.     

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

Gotta agree with you here.  Wildcats are part of it, and play up is another part.  In neither case did the situation warrant what they have turned AA into.

I do have to commend them for putting a halt on playup, but then again, they helped create the crisis when they agreed to let entire teams to play up in Squirt and PW(rules? what rules?) in the first place. The teams that everyone pointed to as validating playup have seen high turnover and came back to the field as many predicted they would.   There is no institutional memory.  Apparently, Flighting was tried years ago and abandoned.   

HOW DARE YOU FOOLS !!!!!

My buddy Benny  errrr.....Wildcats....eeerrrrrr...Jr Reign is one of only a handful of USA MODEL HOCKEY CLUBS.

On their first line of statement is....
"We don't cut kids from our teams."
.........i.e..WE WILL NOT LEAVE $$$ ON THE TABLE !!!

Btw
He still owes me $$  !!

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
Okay so for Bantam AA, instead of calling it flight 1and 2, why not major and minor? Makes more sense.

Major and Minor are already used to separate ages within Divisions. I don't mind the flight system, there will always be arguments, but it worked out pretty well for PW and Bantam last year, I think.
Kind of agree with Mr Bend(over).
The way the flights were chosen were a joke thought.
Also having a Flight 2 champion (with a banner) was more a joke.

That is just because you did not win the banner :)
That is true.
But a participation trophy is not something our boys strive for.
I guess someone that hasn't experienced winning anything  would not understsnd.  :)

I guess they would not...

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2018, 01:34:12 PM »
Okay so for Bantam AA, instead of calling it flight 1and 2, why not major and minor? Makes more sense.

Major and Minor are already used to separate ages within Divisions. I don't mind the flight system, there will always be arguments, but it worked out pretty well for PW and Bantam last year, I think.

That is true.
I guess someone that hasn't experienced winning anything  would not understsnd.  :)

Hilarious! My understanding was that several clubs thought it was dumb and a waste of time...coaches, parents, players, etc...

The Flight 2 playoff should have been for the right to be the 8th place team in Flight 1.  Flight 1 should have 7 spots and the 8th spot for the winner of Flight 2. In fact, it would even make more since for Flight 1 to have 6 spots and then take the top two out of Flight 2 for 7th and 8th spot.  The top two Flight 2 teams are most likely better than the 7th & 8th place team in Flight 1 anyway...

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »

That is true.

Hilarious! My understanding was that several clubs thought it was dumb and a waste of time...coaches, parents, players, etc...

The Flight 2 playoff should have been for the right to be the 8th place team in Flight 1.  Flight 1 should have 7 spots and the 8th spot for the winner of Flight 2. In fact, it would even make more since for Flight 1 to have 6 spots and then take the top two out of Flight 2 for 7th and 8th spot.  The top two Flight 2 teams are most likely better than the 7th & 8th place team in Flight 1 anyway...

Or.....combine the flights to one division and let them battle it out for top 8.  Oh, wait they used to do that...

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

That is true.

Or.....combine the flights to one division and let them battle it out for top 8.  Oh, wait they used to do that...

The obvious answer is to do just that but, I do not see that happening with our brain trust...

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »

The obvious answer is to do just that but, I do not see that happening with our brain trust...
In my opinion, the best case scenario for Bantams would be to split up in two groups, Major and Minor. But I understand that for many teams, it's almost impossible to form a pure birth year team. Therefore, you have 95% of bantam AA teams consist of mostly 04's, with a few 05's mixed in... In a perfect world, let all the major yr bantams duke it out with other major teams and let minors play only minors, just like how the AAA's are set up.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any pure birth year team this upcoming Bantam AA season (last year there were two)...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:18:41 PM by justanotherhockeydad »

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:51 PM »
[/quote]

Well that wasn't the case in Midget 16 last year.  The 8th place flight 1 team beat the 1st place flight 2 team.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »

That is true.

Wasn't the complaint that teams weren't playing all the teams... so certain teams with easier schedules slipped into the playoffs? The obvious response to that is, of course, just win your games. But in this day and age when everyone gets a trophy and their own "special" playoffs (looking at you Flight 2), that would be too cruel. 
I'm your Huckleberry