This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Elite program in Connecticut  (Read 10775 times)

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
Elite program in Connecticut
« on: March 12, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Elite program in Connecticut?
Any thoughts?

SDHockeyDad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +15/-9
Re: Elite program in Connecticut
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
Are you referring to CCYHA?

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:27:38 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Elite program in Connecticut?
Any thoughts?
Met them at the prep camp. seem to have a solid program. the development I hear is really good. i've herd theres a few kids going there for the upcoming season.... you'll hear more soon, tryouts are happening now as we speak. Price is good although they're not a brick and mortar school. You definitely play more games than most of the prep schools and Im pretty sure its all birth year teams as well. Definitely worth a look

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
I should have stated my question differently.

The program is great and the development is amazing.
I should have asked, what's your take on your kid living with a billet family and not attending traditional school?

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
I think you really have to ponder the pros and cons.  It is very hard to replace regular school.  So many fond memories are attached to those that go to regular schools...girlfriends, dances, proms, a variety of friends (outside of hockey), strong relationships with teachers, and of course, another few years of being with your parents. 

With prep school, you lose the latter, but probably better academics.

One of the problems of playing birth year hockey is that you compete with kids your own age.  Going to juniors and prep, you are playing boys much older...the game is much faster and the hitting much harder. 

With a billet family, you have good stories and bad.  Your boy will certainly grow up quicker, but you have to decide for yourself if he is responsible enough for billet life.  Can he stand up to peer pressure and not make bad decisions?  He will not have the supervision that a loving parent will provide, nor the restrictions place on them by school.  The memories formed there will be much different than high school so you should strongly consider, when they get older, which will they miss more?  Also keep in mind that so many kids are now heavily involved in vaping, smoking, and drinking...far easier to do without strong supervision.  Also, consider the lifestyle and trades to another team are a possibly.

You should also look LONG TERM.  Does your kid have a chance at going to the NHL or getting a D1 scholarship?  You should have a pretty good idea by the Midget year if they have made all those select camps and maybe even drafted by the OHL or WHL.  Are they dominating at their position playing birth year?  Are they going to have SIZE, speed and puck handling?  Juniors and Prep will probably give you a far better idea by the junior year, but not playing birth year hockey here. 

Keep in mind, somewhere in the mid to high 90% is where all the boys will wind up in the same place....Adult beer league so do you want you want your kid to start college as a true freshman or a couple of years later when they junior career is over?  There is Club DII hockey and NCAA DIII hockey...many of which would like the kid to play juniors a couple of years first, but you will be paying for those.  Also...keep in mind that grades are extremely important to get into any college, so do not sacrifice grades unless you don't care if you kid goes to a decent college.

Hard decision to be sure but make sure you make it for them...not you. 

Tough decision to be sure, but really be honest with yourself and look to the future. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:28:27 PM by Pulsarhockey »

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
I should have stated my question differently.

The program is great and the development is amazing.
I should have asked, what's your take on your kid living with a billet family and not attending traditional school?

That was the sticking point with us on sending our 14 year old off to Billet.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:32:23 PM by Pistonkev »

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:29:32 PM »
That was our sticking point and my kid is older than yours.
Just wanted to hear what other people think

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
That was our sticking point and my kid is older than yours.
Just wanted to hear what other people think

My son has been recruited by 3 teams back east.  For us, we realized that our son at 15 wasn't really a kid ready to go billet.  It is a very tough, and personal decision