This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Making the jump to Midget AA  (Read 8368 times)

mom2five

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-0
Making the jump to Midget AA
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
My son had a great experience playing Bantam A even though it was just half the season. Coaches, parents, and players were all so great. He was super sad that the team had to break up due to the mix of 04s and 03s.

Not knowing what will happen next season (in terms of what teams will be available and whether or not he will make a team at all) is a little nerve wracking. So far he has attended a clinic with our high school team, an OC Midget clinic, and has signed up for Midget clinics at Empire and Wave. He's also continuing private skating lessons to get him up to speed. He has improved a ton for only ice skating for 10 months or so, but he still has some work to do for sure.

Any advice or encouragement? Or discouragement? lol

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
Re: Making the jump to Midget AA
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
My son had a great experience playing Bantam A even though it was just half the season. Coaches, parents, and players were all so great. He was super sad that the team had to break up due to the mix of 04s and 03s.

Not knowing what will happen next season (in terms of what teams will be available and whether or not he will make a team at all) is a little nerve wracking. So far he has attended a clinic with our high school team, an OC Midget clinic, and has signed up for Midget clinics at Empire and Wave. He's also continuing private skating lessons to get him up to speed. He has improved a ton for only ice skating for 10 months or so, but he still has some work to do for sure.

Any advice or encouragement? Or discouragement? lol

Keep doing what you're doing. When it comes time for tryouts ask your player which team is their first choice and attend that tryout. If he gets selected then you're good. If he doesn't get selected then attend the tryout for his second choice on Saturday. If he still doesn't get picked then search the SCAHA website and this website for openings on a 16U AA team. I hope this helps. Good luck!

mom2five

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
Thanks! Yes, that helps. So every team will have two days of tryouts? And they will let us know right away?

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
Thanks! Yes, that helps. So every team will have two days of tryouts? And they will let us know right away?

Yes you find out right after tryouts. However, you should know before tryouts if your son will make the team. If the coach isn't coming to you asking what your plans are for tryouts then he might not be on his radar. I sent you a direct message.