This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam AAA major  (Read 44305 times)

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
Re: Bantam AAA major
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
ok, so the consensus is that the kings will repeat again as state champs??

also, the 05 minor teams would struggle against the 04s due to the nature/puberty factor. 

since the AAA level seems to be somewhat thin with only 3 teams, would any AA bantam team be able to compete and beat the AAAs?

Da Bears Torsson AA should be able to give them a few good games. Kicked the piss outta a lotta AAA teams last year.

That was an 03 team so they would now be Midgets and the main goalie went to Kings AAA.

That team doesn't even exist any more, so I doubt they'll kick the piss out of anyone.

Right... but word around the rinks was that a ton of kids showed up to play for Torsson... AAA/AA caliber kids... so I'd imagine they'll be pretty tough, no?

...agree with the above...this years team will be a different animal....but you are probably correct....they will be formidable no doubt

They will be fine (and possibly the best of the bunch, who knows) but not in the same league as last year IMO.  AA generally looks pretty weak this year compared to last.

agree.....

Curious... where did all those 03 Bears go? Assuming some went to prep schools... but what about others?
I'm your Huckleberry

Rainman

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-4
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »
13 went back east prep/academy
1 aaa
2 aa
1 no longer playing focusing on another sport.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
1 aaa
2 aa

Wow. That's pretty impressive. Thanks.
I'm your Huckleberry

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
1 aaa
2 aa

....mission accomplished!

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 02:24:18 PM »
Two or three will have impressive hockey outcomes (I might be underestimating, but I might also be giving too much credit here).  The rest will just be living without their parents in a situation where they unequipped to advance meaningfully in the sport.  The education outcomes would be a more convincing argument if I saw more stress on it in the hockey parents that I've come across. 

I'm not saying that prep school is bad.  I'm just tired of seeing it advanced on the board as some kind of wonderful outcome, when really it is a step that can be forward, backwards or marching in place.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
So 13 Bears headed out of state.  How many '03's in total leaving California? 

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
I get it... and it's quite shameful on the part of CAHA, which should be expanding the game, not limiting options and driving kids out of state due to politics.  I wonder if they've ever taken a stance and explained why they thought limiting AAA was a good idea?
I'm your Huckleberry

Rainman

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-4
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
I totaled 25 so far.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
I get it... and it's quite shameful on the part of CAHA, which should be expanding the game, not limiting options and driving kids out of state due to politics.  I wonder if they've ever taken a stance and explained why they thought limiting AAA was a good idea?

The limiting of AAA was in response to the complaints that AAA was to watered down in CA.  Just like anything, if you let the politicians decide it for sure will be more messed up than it was.  The problem is that the people who were complaining are now mostly out of CA hockey and the rest of us are left to deal with the mess.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »

The limiting of AAA was in response to the complaints that AAA was to watered down in CA.  Just like anything, if you let the politicians decide it for sure will be more messed up than it was.  The problem is that the people who were complaining are now mostly out of CA hockey and the rest of us are left to deal with the mess.

Who was complaining? Short of USA Hockey complaining, shouldn't CAHA just stay out of it and try to be as impartial as possible? Like any free economy has proven, if you peddle a product people don't want, people won't buy it. I'm guessing excessive meddling is a theme with CAHA, hence the Flight system. 
I'm your Huckleberry

Rub One Out

• Mite
  • LR Justice +42/-2
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »

Who was complaining? Short of USA Hockey complaining, shouldn't CAHA just stay out of it and try to be as impartial as possible? Like any free economy has proven, if you peddle a product people don't want, people won't buy it. I'm guessing excessive meddling is a theme with CAHA, hence the Flight system.
Have you ever heard of the Jr. Reign, aka Wildcats? Ben Frank still owes Trans money...

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
Looking at the records on myHockeyRankings, last year the bears played the Sharks 03 AAA twice, losing once and tying once. They beat the Ducks, and there's no record (there at least) of them playing the Kings, who being ranked 4'th nationally would likely have murdered them. myHockeyRankings doesn't have all games of course, but it's usually pretty complete (apart from the occasional team that is rumored to actively delete or delay reporting games they don't like...)

You are what your record says you are. Despite the end of the season, the Bears were a GREAT team, and they sure seemed to be the best of the AA's in CA. Their star player was probably better than almost all the 02 AAA's. But they were almost all 03's and as a group didn't exactly stomp on the 03 AAA teams.

Just an opinion, but my kids have played AA and AAA in CA. AAA is a level above.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »

Have you ever heard of the Jr. Reign, aka Wildcats? Ben Frank still owes Trans money...

Yes, I've heard BF is a bit of a huckster. However, even if his teams were weak and mismanaged, why not just let the system work it out? Why penalize an entire state for one over ambitious program? Let them pay their money and ice teams and continue to get their butts kicked. Eventually people would just stop joining his teams, right? And even if they didn't, who cares? The Sharks AAA teams aren't competitive with the Kings/Ducks, so is more regulation the answer?
I'm your Huckleberry

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »

Yes, I've heard BF is a bit of a huckster. However, even if his teams were weak and mismanaged, why not just let the system work it out? Why penalize an entire state for one over ambitious program? Let them pay their money and ice teams and continue to get their butts kicked. Eventually people would just stop joining his teams, right? And even if they didn't, who cares? The Sharks AAA teams aren't competitive with the Kings/Ducks, so is more regulation the answer?

I don't know that "wanting" more AAA teams is the answer. Do you really think there is enough AAA kids to fill more teams? Sure the Bears were an exception, but from what I heard, they weren't interested in playing AAA even if they could.

So "draconion regulations" or not...I don't think more AAA teams would be a good thing...JMHO

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »
The issue is why kids feel the need to leave SoCal once they leave Bantams. HS is not very competitive, Tier II is only OK, and Tier I only offers two teams, despite the fact we're in a big market. It always behooves the customer to have more options, not to have a governing body manipulate the market. Meaning, CAHA should allow local teams to succeed and fail on their own merits, and let the market dictate their fate. Until USA Hockey intervenes, it seems the purge of kids out of SoCal seeking better options will continue, which is a shame.       
I'm your Huckleberry