This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam AAA major  (Read 44331 times)

HM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-2
Re: Bantam AAA major
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
There is definitely a lot of misinformation out there. Nothatdad thank you for the refresher on Tier1 Elite but I wasn’t talking about their tournaments in my post. Some teams do other tournaments in addition to meeting their obligations to Tier 1 . The 4-5 days off school concerned Districts and Nationals.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
There are plenty of top notch schools in California but for many, including myself, it's about trying to balance education with the travel demands of hockey. Some  AAA Bantam players can expect to travel every month from September to February.  If the player is Bantam major this doesn't  include districts or possibly Nationals. A kid could miss 4-5 days of school for each of those events. That is a lot of time away especially so for players carrying a heavy academic load.

So much misinformation out there... particularly about AAA.

Tier1Elite sets up tournaments to be 2 nights maximum (plus travel) - it's one of the advantages they have over some of the other outfits, who are clearly trying to maximize hotel stays and thus their kickbacks by having 3-4 night tournaments. No idea how you'd be missing 4-5 days for each event.  You can usually leave late Thursday, miss one day, and be back Sunday night. Last year my kid missed maybe 5-6 days total playing AAA.

Staying on topic, the question remains how affective Midget Tier hockey can be for kids taking that next step to college or Juniors.  So, of the kids on your team, where have they gone post Midget?
I'm your Huckleberry

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »
There is definitely a lot of misinformation out there. Nothatdad thank you for the refresher on Tier1 Elite but I wasn’t talking about their tournaments in my post. Some teams do other tournaments in addition to meeting their obligations to Tier 1 . The 4-5 days off school concerned Districts and Nationals.

I think all of the teams do tournaments apart from T1EHL, but my point remains about 5-6 days during the season.

Good point about districts and nationals being longer - I misread your post.

With the game load in other areas though (look at myHockeyRankings - you will see teams with 70-80+ games) i don't think we are that hard off out here. As i mentioned in another post, in Ontario, even though they don't travel nearly as much, each playoff round is 5 or 7 games. That eats into study time too.

If you want to play at a high level, one of the talents you have to develop as a player is how to stay organized and keep your studies up. Which is another aspect of the east coast prep schools. You typically have to have pretty good grades.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:01:30 PM by notTHATdad »

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
There are plenty of top notch schools in California but for many, including myself, it's about trying to balance education with the travel demands of hockey. Some  AAA Bantam players can expect to travel every month from September to February.  If the player is Bantam major this doesn't  include districts or possibly Nationals. A kid could miss 4-5 days of school for each of those events. That is a lot of time away especially so for players carrying a heavy academic load.

So much misinformation out there... particularly about AAA.

Tier1Elite sets up tournaments to be 2 nights maximum (plus travel) - it's one of the advantages they have over some of the other outfits, who are clearly trying to maximize hotel stays and thus their kickbacks by having 3-4 night tournaments. No idea how you'd be missing 4-5 days for each event.  You can usually leave late Thursday, miss one day, and be back Sunday night. Last year my kid missed maybe 5-6 days total playing AAA.

Staying on topic, the question remains how affective Midget Tier hockey can be for kids taking that next step to college or Juniors.  So, of the kids on your team, where have they gone post Midget?

All the teams tweet about or post where their players are going to their web sites. Easy enough to look. I think about 10 Jr Sharks moved on to college or various jr leagues this year (many from the girls 19AA team), plus a number go to prep schools every year, but that's not tracked anywhere. It varies from year to year though.

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »

With all do respect, if a good education is the real goal, there are PLENTY of top quality schools much closer, some even in So Cal.
I'm sure prep school is the answer to some, I just don't get it.
Now if the goal is to show off to co-workers or to the hockey snobs, so be it.  But call it what it is.
Agree that there are plenty of good schools here. My take is that the ADHSHL is on the right path to hopefully keep kids here and get noticed at Nationals or other showcases.  Last year, I hear that there were scouts from many colleges at the HS nationals and many got offers - mostly D3 colleges but it's a start. 

Compared to Prep costs, there are a range of excellent D1 schools with costs of 8K to 18K here. You have JSerra (18.5K), Santa Margarita (17K), Olu (17K), Damien (8K), Bellermine (San Jose -16K), Tahoe, and St. Marys (new). You also have D2 and D3 teams who could step up to D1 in the coming years including Servite, Mater Dei, Central Cathedral (San Diego), La Jolla Country Day (34K - ouch), St John Bosco.  Most of these programs play a minimum of 40 game seasons and are more competitive than 16AA aside from maybe the top 2 AA teams in the state (I know OLu a few years back was beating 16AAA teams and pretty sure SM could or may have last year).  It's a shame the Kings can't get more going with private schools in LA county, but the good thing is that the ADHSHL seems to take on other teams regardless of location.

If the league can continue to build it's reputation of producing good hockey players, there will eventually be more national recognition and potential for movement onto bigger and better things.  My 2 cents... 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:49:01 PM by OneandDone »

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »
Not that familar with the SoCal HS teams. However I know THA was in Chicago tournament last year and was getting beat by 16AA teams.  So I do not know that it is any more competitive or not. That being said they may not have brought their best players either.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
ADHSHL is really built well and the top end D-1 shows well nationaly as well.

The Kings HS is a whole different story.

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »
Not that familar with the SoCal HS teams. However I know THA was in Chicago tournament last year and was getting beat by 16AA teams.  So I do not know that it is any more competitive or not. That being said they may not have brought their best players either.
They went 4-12 last year in the ADHSHL and were in second to last place and lost to SM 12-0 and Damien 7-0 but at other times seemed to be competitive so maybe they do/did have different lineups?

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
There needs to be a non-parochial school option.  I don't want to send my kid to private school... I just want to give him a fun competitive hockey team to play on... the public school hockey in d2 and d3 is a joke...AAA is too expensive... and AA is dying... WTF do I do??

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
There needs to be a non-parochial school option.  I don't want to send my kid to private school... I just want to give him a fun competitive hockey team to play on... the public school hockey in d2 and d3 is a joke...AAA is too expensive... and AA is dying... WTF do I do??
Minnesota?  Baseball?

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
The correct answer is Canada.

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »
So the answer is nothing... just stop playing

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
I think you will find more of the HS D3 programs looking quite better this year.  Many real AA players have transfered for 18/19. 

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
I think you will find more of the HS D3 programs looking quite better this year.  Many real AA players have transfered for 18/19.

I hope so... my kid is playing both D3 and AA so I hope it goes well.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
They went 4-12 last year in the ADHSHL and were in second to last place and lost to SM 12-0 and Damien 7-0 but at other times seemed to be competitive so maybe they do/did have different lineups?

Actully their Varsity team was young and just got better as the year went. in the playoffs went 2-1 losing to Margarita 2-7 who went on to win nationals with a senior based team https://www.adhshl.com/schedule/team_instance/2763388?subseason=491559

Finished second https://www.adhshl.com/bracket/show/4007886?subseason=491559

Trust the process! lol
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:13:33 PM by Pistonkev »