This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PeeWee A 2018/2019  (Read 104189 times)

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
Re: PeeWee A 2018/2019
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
And you be "noble" and just enjoy it without trashing others.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Another week results finally posted in full - and we have 2 "surprise" outcomes - Ducks 1 victory over Gulls 2 -  and now I am "officially" downgrading Gulls 2 to third tier leaving only 4 teams at 1st.
Secondly, Ducks 2 (remember, toughest schedule among top-tier teams) after first 2 wins got 2nd loss in a row - now vs Condors (third tier team, winless prior to that game).
Ducks 2 stay at tier 1 but on a "watch list" right now.

Flyers games mysteriously do not count in standings so they are hidden with 0 points close to the bottom.

And games vs Lady Ducks are finally counted as exhibition ones and do not effect the standings. 

[/size][size=78%]    [/size]

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »
Another week results finally posted in full - and we have 2 "surprise" outcomes - Ducks 1 victory over Gulls 2 -  and now I am "officially" downgrading Gulls 2 to third tier leaving only 4 teams at 1st.
Secondly, Ducks 2 (remember, toughest schedule among top-tier teams) after first 2 wins got 2nd loss in a row - now vs Condors (third tier team, winless prior to that game).
Ducks 2 stay at tier 1 but on a "watch list" right now.

Flyers games mysteriously do not count in standings so they are hidden with 0 points close to the bottom.

I told you earlier that Gulls 1 was definitely better than Gulls 2.  Gulls 3 is better than Gulls 2 for that matter too.  The Gulls 1 result against Oilers surprised me (only won 4-3 in a game I expected to be a blowout).  Honestly, I think there is a little more parity that exists in the top half of the table than many here believe.  That's a good thing. The Flyers look tough with their blowout wins, but their tie game with OCHC2 is a head-scratcher.

Regarding the Flyers website issues, an email to the SCAHA statistician can usually straighten out stuff like this (games/records not showing up, forfeits not being tallied correctly, etc).  They happen every year, and SCAHA is blissfully unaware of any of them until they are pointed out by users.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:18:28 AM by SDhockeydad07 »

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
Alfirst, After week 4, no surprises in the standings.  Kings 1, Wave 1 and Flyers (2-0-1) will be battling it out for 1st in the division ALL year.   Gulls 1, Mariner's, Heat and Ducks 2 will do their best to stay up with the BIG BOYS.  The rest of PWA is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:46:13 PM by 2 Cups in LA »

Hockeydad30

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
Alfirst, After week 4, no surprises in the standings.  Kings 1, Wave 1 and Flyers (2-0-1) will be battling it out for 1st in the division ALL year.   Gulls 1, Mariner's, Heat and Ducks 2 will do their best to stay up with the BIG BOYS.   The rest of PWA is irrelevant.

You guys are sure giving the Flyers alot of credit considering they tied one of the worst teams in the league OCHC 2.  And that tie came after playing jamboree and 3 preseason games at AA level.  After seeing the OCHC team and how slow they are I dont see how any team that is a contender would tie them. 

I dont disagree Wave 1 and Kings 1 are going to be in the top of the division at end of season However I would put the top 8 as follows

1, Wave 1
2. Kings 1
3. Gulls 1
4. Mariners
5. Bears (we will see this weekend they have the test of Wave 1)
6. Flyers (havent played any highly ranked team yet)
7. Heat
8. Goldrush 1

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »
I already countered on "irrelevance" of the rest of division beyond Wave 1 and Kings 1. Heard btw that Wave 1 has some 06 players that just chose not play AA and "stay low" - so be it. Still, other teams and players have their own tasks at hand and a year to better their game and develop.
Kings 1 will be meeting two Goldrush team in a row - so we will see how that goes. GR2 tied Heat, so they are pretty solid team.

Agree on Gulls 1 vs Gulls 2.

Flyers - as last guy pointed out - are yet to play anybody in tier 1-2.

Mariners and Bears will have some tough games - so I would not put them in play-off picture just yet.

Wave 1, Kings 1 (most likely) and Heat (very easy schedule) can cruise through the regular season - but rest 5 places are wide open right now - for 2-3 tier teams.

Should be interesting (but for the one who calls it "irrelevant")

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Alfirst & Hockeydad30 you both make some valid points "BUT"   Lets not give Gulls 1 too much credit just yet (short bench)?   Yes, the Flyers dropped out of that PWA+ flight II division and have played some irrelevant PWA teams so far.    So has Kings 1, Wave 1 and Mariners.   

Living in the South Bay and only watch games at TSC.   I watched some of those PWA teams play this year.  Yea, some of those kids could play on a PWAA team?   Maybe their parents see through PWAA nonsense and realize its still only PWA quality hockey for flight I & II with a few team exceptions who are true PWAA teams?

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
Alfirst, After week 4, no surprises in the standings.  Kings 1, Wave 1 and Flyers (2-0-1) will be battling it out for 1st in the division ALL year.   Gulls 1, Mariner's, Heat and Ducks 2 will do their best to stay up with the BIG BOYS.   The rest of PWA is irrelevant.

Cracks me up with the PWA analysis...  who plays what level means shit til next year.  Cant count on both hands the kids i've seen quit thru bantam and midget.  All it means in the end is what level beer league they end up in...gold or silver.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
Maverick "You Nailed it"  You see the reality of SCAHA/CAHA and the future of ALL the little Gretzky's! 

DEFENDERS

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2018, 03:45:31 PM »
Alfirst & Hockeydad30 you both make some valid points "BUT"   Lets not give Gulls 1 too much credit just yet (short bench)?   Yes, the Flyers dropped out of that PWA+ flight II division and have played some irrelevant PWA teams so far.    So has Kings 1, Wave 1 and Mariners.   

Living in the South Bay and only watch games at TSC.   I watched some of those PWA teams play this year.  Yea, some of those kids could play on a PWAA team?   Maybe their parents see through PWAA nonsense and realize its still only PWA quality hockey for flight I & II with a few team exceptions who are true PWAA teams?

You hit the puck in the net and why would any parent want to pay $20k-$25k for PWAA hockey is beyond me.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
Hockey is an expensive proposition regardless of the program.  Different people are looking for different things out of the sport.  Even on the same team you can have a family who is all in on the sport and another one that looks at it as just one of many activities.  There are also a lot of differences between the programs in terms of the amount of ice time and off ice training the program involves, as well as the amount of travel and associated costs.  20-25k is more like AAA costs.

There is a lot of fluidity between the divisions, but in general, AA is a faster brand of hockey than A, which is faster than BB, which is faster than B.  There are all sorts of circumstances involved in whether or not an individual kid could easily play in a higher division.  There are kids who would do well in AAA playing in AA and A most likely. 

But there is no doubt in my mind that the average skill level of kids in AA is far higher than the average in A.  All you have to do is watch some games back to back to see the difference.   As to whether in the long term that difference means much is hard to say, but in general the kids that play in AA stay in that division or move up to AAA, or go to Prep school, while the kids in A often move to High school as soon as they can.   LAKSHL JV from what I've seen borders on in house level.

Kid who played AA are better prepared for the speed of the game as they continue on to higher age groups, but certainly it is true that kids who never played AA before Bantam are able to acclimate to AA as time goes on. 

I watched a period or so of a Bantam A game last weekend just prior to an AA game.  In both games, one team trounced the other.  In the A game you could see that some of the players on the better team were talented -- in fact it was quite obvious because they had lots of time to deek around kids and make moves around the net that showed off their skill.    In the AA game there was also some skilled plays, but very often the defensive players reacted and the goaltending was substantially better.
Even the losing team would probably have beaten either of the A teams soundly, which is the problem that a lot of teams face when they are a bit too good for A, but not really good enough to be competitive in AA. 

In A you can stay competitive with one really good line just by pouring in goals.  In AA team depth is far greater, and opportunities to handle the puck along with goals are much harder to come by.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:17:06 AM by lcadad »

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
Great last post!

And for guys bored with "PWA analysis" - it is a simple cure - just do not read it/pay attention. I would think there is an audience on this forum who are interested in what's happening regardless of "miserable" future.
You know, I can lose or quit my job, even relocate to a different country in a couple of years - does it mean my current qualification and pay does not matter? Heck, no. My family is living off that.
So we do have PWA division here where our kids are playing. We have a league (for better or worse), standings, scores etc. And we deal with what we have. Some parents are hands off, some "really into it", majority are somewhere in between.
I think it is OK to concentrate on a current situation without thinking - "oh, 3/4 of the team is done by the age of 14" - as it leads nowhere.
In this particular case - I would deal with tomorrow when it comes.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
"Icedad & Alfirst"  Both posts well done and pretty much on point!   But lets NOT give AA & AAA too much credit?   Yes, the speed is there but not everyone has the true skating, stick handling & shooting ability they should have at that level, especially PW level.    Just parents having the ability to throw $25 to $35k a year at it & the free time to get their little wannabe Gretzky's across the US & Canada to play in tournaments.

Once you age out of Bantam, you know if you got the ability for the next level or its back to A division/high school league?   Then taking your skills to the adult BEER league!  "Nothing like dragging a 12 pack to your 11 pm game".

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2018, 10:52:12 PM »
To you ivory tower a-holes coming in this thread to take a piss on PW-A hockey, when your kid plays AA or whatever.... F you. Maybe let us have our fun without you crapping all over our enjoyment of the sport.  No one here is claiming their kid is the second coming of Wayne.  We're just having fun watching our kids play a sport we love too.

Alfirst, I love that you give an effort into breaking down some Power Rankings for PWA, even if you sell my kid's team short every week, I still appreciate the effort.

This thread isn't about which kid is going to disappear once full checking is allowed next year (or two, or three years for some!). It's about THIS season of PWA. 

So if you're not interested, go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut.  This thread ain't for you.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
SD - I knew I have an audience!

And that's exactly to the point - PWA thread is about THIS year PWA. And let the trolls be trolls.