This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PeeWee A 2018/2019  (Read 100111 times)

FrozenInSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
PeeWee A 2018/2019
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
How is this division looking for 2018/2019? Thoughts/predictions? Lots of talk about AA and AAA on here, but nothing about A.

Laking2018

Re: PeeWee A 2018/2019
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:15:26 AM »
Bakersfeild, Burbank, Ca heat, and mariners will all have pw A teams. Plus all the bigger clubs like kings and ducks.maple leafs and flyers have AA not sure about A.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
Kings PeeWee A1 team haf about 45 kids at tryouts. Roster looks pretty strong.

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »
Gulls will have 3 Peewee A teams.

Two teams of mostly 06 with a few 07 (coached by Moy and Gartland, repectively)
A mostly 08 (SqBB team from last season) with the 07 from the SqA last season that missed AA cut (coached by Carlyle)

KNRFMLY

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »
OCHC will have two Peewee A teams.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 07:15:04 AM »
Ice Dogs have a PWA team

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »

A mostly 08 (SqBB team from last season) with the 07 from the SqA last season that missed AA cut (coached by Carlyle)
3 PWA teams from one club seems like a lot...

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 08:55:12 PM »
21 PWA teams,that's a shitload.

Safe to say a third of the teams will be out of contention by December.  :(

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »
21 PWA teams,that's a shitload.

Safe to say a third of the teams will be out of contention by December.  :(
by the end of October

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »

It is.  But we also have a HUGE 06 group along with a good-sized 07 group.  Plus one of those PWA teams is mostly made up of 08's that would have been squirt A.

Who knows, maybe by the end of pre-season, one of them may drop to BB. Hopefully a few others from the division drop as well.  Or at least separate the 22 teams into two conferences by geography to save us from driving to friggin Bakersfield.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »

It is.  But we also have a HUGE 06 group along with a good-sized 07 group.  Plus one of those PWA teams is mostly made up of 08's that would have been squirt A.

Who knows, maybe by the end of pre-season, one of them may drop to BB. Hopefully a few others from the division drop as well.  Or at least separate the 22 teams into two conferences by geography to save us from driving to friggin Bakersfield.
I don't pretend to know the kids (or the club) by any stretch, but what's wrong with playing Squirt A.  Why the rush to jump from Squirt BB to PWA?  I guess playing up into PW is the new normal....

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
The last few years the Gulls have been giving the club formerly known as the wildcats a run for their money in terms of icing teams extra teams that aren't up to the level of competition.  Anyone who thinks that their kid is going to make more progress playing PWA instead of Squirt A hasn't been following socal hockey.  The Squirt A division has been one of the most sensible and competitive going on 4-5 years now.  PWA has way too many teams. 

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »

I don't pretend to know the kids (or the club) by any stretch, but what's wrong with playing Squirt A.  Why the rush to jump from Squirt BB to PWA?  I guess playing up into PW is the new normal....

Shrug.  Gulls SqA team last year wasn't "challenged enough" at Squirt A, and the HC felt that the team probably should have played PWA.  While the top 4 teams were all really close, teams 5-9 were a pretty big drop down, and the bottom 3 or 4 probably would have been better off in BB... but then again the Gulls BB team that went 14-1 would get shelled anytime our SQA team scrimmaged with them, so who knows what could have happened. 

Regardless, it's pretty much the same as any other division, it's just more pronounced in a 22 team conference as opposed to a 12 team conference.  This 08 team is very similar, if smaller. The belief amongst the coaches is that at least in PWA, those 08's will at least be challenged every game by bigger, stronger kids. And that extra challenge will better prepare them as a PWAA team for next season. At least that's the reasoning I've been told...

But I get it.  I personally support no playing up at all, for a whole host of reasons, but it is what it is, and the coaches are doing their best to put the kids on a team and in a division in which they belong.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
I realize that my comment could be misinterpreted.  In my experience, the Gulls #1 team in divisions have been solid and competitive.   It's really the 2-n teams that often begin the season punching way too high. 

I also can understand that it's not always possible to really gauge where a team is at when the season starts, but by the same token most of the Gulls teams that I took issue with were playing up.

For just about every division, there are going to 2-3 teams that are better than most everyone else, 4-8 teams that will compete in the end of year playoffs, and maybe 10-11 that are in the hunt for an 8 playoff race.  Everyone else is category #4 (playing out the string).

Having a PWA division where there are many more teams in category 3 and a lot of teams that are in category 4, just means that your chances of playing games against those teams is much higher, and the overall percentage of playing those games is higher.

If your team is truly capable of playing up and being a category 1 & 2 team in a PWA 20+ division, then PWA makes sense.  I just haven't seen it.  Case in point, Gulls 2 PWAA last season, dropped to PWA and didn't even make the playoffs.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
I realize that my comment could be misinterpreted.  In my experience, the Gulls #1 team in divisions have been solid and competitive.   It's really the 2-n teams that often begin the season punching way too high. 

I also can understand that it's not always possible to really gauge where a team is at when the season starts, but by the same token most of the Gulls teams that I took issue with were playing up.

For just about every division, there are going to 2-3 teams that are better than most everyone else, 4-8 teams that will compete in the end of year playoffs, and maybe 10-11 that are in the hunt for an 8 playoff race.  Everyone else is category #4 (playing out the string).

Having a PWA division where there are many more teams in category 3 and a lot of teams that are in category 4, just means that your chances of playing games against those teams is much higher, and the overall percentage of playing those games is higher.

If your team is truly capable of playing up and being a category 1 & 2 team in a PWA 20+ division, then PWA makes sense.  I just haven't seen it.  Case in point, Gulls 2 PWAA last season, dropped to PWA and didn't even make the playoffs.
ID, I already read your Gone With The Wind lllloooonnnnngggg opinions on the bantan side.  Please dont have me waste all morning reading your long ass rants on the PWA side also, ( i have an 07 and an 04).
Write your novel.....eeerrrrr opinions down, take it to the edit
room snd cut that shit by 2/3rds.  You hsve decent points, but fffuuuuck !!
Im going to the DMV later, ill read your above novel in line.