This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PeeWee A 2018/2019  (Read 100338 times)

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
Re: PeeWee A 2018/2019
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »
In my modest estimation to qualify for play-offs a team would need 20-22 points. So 5 wins won't be enough.

In addition to the teams you mentioned I consider Gulls 2 and Heat top tier + there are some other teams that definitely would make a run. As for the play-offs - it's 6 months away so we will see - though Wave 1 is a team to beat for sure.

2 Flight in AA would make A division stronger but we have 24 teams without it - so then bottom 5-10 need to be sent down B etc.etc.
Guess it is what it is...

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2018, 09:04:41 AM »
Alfirst, Your RIGHT about the Heat.  They could be #5 in the PWA division?   Your giving the Gulls 2 "Too much Credit"  They didn't do well in the Early Bird Tournament, played a WEAK pre-season schedule and LOST to JD 2 last Sunday 3 to 2. 

PWAA Flights 1 & 2 have 17 teams combined.  Based off the talent they should have only one flight of maybe 8 teams?  Not allow 08 teams to be in the division and only play up in PWA.   This would create a trickle down effect and make all the PW divisions stronger and better quality hockey at that level.  Its screwing up the true development of 10,11 & 12 yrs old's.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »
I tend to agree on the latter - division building and play-up.

As for the Heat - they have the weakest schedule on paper for the top teams so could end higher than 5.
Gulls 2 - losing 2-3 to similar team is not that bad, isn't it? And I am not sure what team participated in that Early Bird, Gulls have a tendency to mix up teams during those     

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »
Alfirst,  "I love the optimism"  I suggest checking the Early Bird tournament Roster with the SCAHA roster.  Its the same team!   Its okay for the Heat to ride the weak schedule into the playoffs.  Then they will eventually face the REAL teams in the division (Kings 1, Wave 1 & Flyers) = early exit in the SCAHA playoffs.

The reality of the Gulls (a very good youth hockey organization).  They should only have 2 PWA teams, 06 & 07's and a 08's that can play at the A level?   I watched the Gulls 1 team at TSC and they had some good players but a short bench.   If they had a few more players on the roster, they would be stronger in the 3rd period?

Oldman Hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
2 Cups in LA, I suspect you're a Flyers parent because your statement that the Flyers are one of the REAL teams is a little illogical since they ties OC(2), a team that Alfirst rated as one of the tier 3 teams.

Laking2018

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Flyers a real team? Why are they a real team?

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »
"Old Man Hockey"  Not a Flyer parent, just observer.   I could be wrong about the Flyers?   They tried to play in the PWAA division and decided to play were they belong.  Then again Flight II shouldn't exist.   Have you watched any of those games?   "Its PWA hockey with an ego"

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »
Then again Flight II shouldn't exist.   Have you watched any of those games?   "Its PWA hockey with an ego"

I like to call it A+

The bottom half of flight II teams in every division should drop to A

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2018, 09:06:45 AM »
Admittedly I haven't watch any PW games this year but I think PWA/AA has always had that level of variance.  Look in past year's A & AA standings there is typically a clump of teams at the top and a clump at the bottom.   

IMO teams being in the wrong division is on the Clubs, coaches and parents.  You should have a pretty good idea of what level of roster you have.  CAHA just started trying to police this with the flight system and have had mixed results at best.  It's easy to say but "move teams down" but in reality I think it's hard because it only takes a few families who have kids who can or think the can play at the higher level to make it all go south fast.

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
Alfirst,  "I love the optimism"  I suggest checking the Early Bird tournament Roster with the SCAHA roster.  Its the same team!   Its okay for the Heat to ride the weak schedule into the playoffs.  Then they will eventually face the REAL teams in the division (Kings 1, Wave 1 & Flyers) = early exit in the SCAHA playoffs.

The reality of the Gulls (a very good youth hockey organization).  They should only have 2 PWA teams, 06 & 07's and a 08's that can play at the A level?   I watched the Gulls 1 team at TSC and they had some good players but a short bench.   If they had a few more players on the roster, they would be stronger in the 3rd period?

Gulls 1 had a short bench because they had a few injuries, and those injuries included some strong players.  Gulls 1 is definitely the class of the 3. And Gulls 3 (the mostly 08 team, playing up) will play Gulls 2 this weekend, so we'll know more about where they each stand by Sunday (we haven't even had an informal scrimmage with them so far, which is not the norm).

And for the record, I agree that kids shouldn't be playing up an age group, and would be perfectly happy if those 08's went back to SQ-A and they took the five 07 kids from Gulls 3 and sprinkled them into the other two Gulls teams. But that's not what the reality is this year.  We've got 3 teams (that I'm aware of) that are predominantly 08s in a 24 team PWA division... meanwhile SQA has 7 teams.  And you think it's PWA that's watered down?

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
Admittedly I haven't watch any PW games this year but I think PWA/AA has always had that level of variance.  Look in past year's A & AA standings there is typically a clump of teams at the top and a clump at the bottom.   

IMO teams being in the wrong division is on the Clubs, coaches and parents.  You should have a pretty good idea of what level of roster you have.  CAHA just started trying to police this with the flight system and have had mixed results at best.  It's easy to say but "move teams down" but in reality I think it's hard because it only takes a few families who have kids who can or think the can play at the higher level to make it all go south fast.

The problem is as a parent and a player you join a team from a reputable club with the expectation that they will field a competitive team.  With the way that the tryout and LOI system is set up in California, you have little ability to make that determination yourself and then you are stuck with the LOI. You have to buy yourself out of the contract to move clubs.  If a club fields a AA team that is an A team and it drops and true AA players from that team go elsewhere, then that is on the club.  It really is not fair to the kids who are higher level players to be stuck on a team that is not at their level. If teams imploded more because the clubs field uncompetitive teams, then clubs would be more careful to field competitive teams at the appropriate level.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:24:23 AM by SkatingDad »

give it a rip

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »
Then again Flight II shouldn't exist.   Have you watched any of those games?   "Its PWA hockey with an ego"

I like to call it A+

The bottom half of flight II teams in every division should drop to A

I don't disagree, the Flight II and some of the Flight I PWAA teams would have their hands full playing the top PWA teams. 

The problem is that in a 24 team PWA division, there would be (and currently are) at least 10-12 teams that routinely get smoked.  If you are not going to have a true preseason/evaluation period to assign the teams to the correct divisions, then you end up with 1/3 of your games against teams that can't compete.

I'll take the PWAA Flight II schedule knowing the extra $$ is at least providing a full slate of competitive games (and more importantly additional practice time).  Then hopefully we add in a few scrimmage games against the top PWA teams so we can get properly schooled.

Oldman Hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »
2 Cups in LA, I've watched Pee Wee games for many years, all across the country. Unfortunately in California, and many other places as well, the push for AA & AAA teams is entirely led by the parents. In the Southern California area there are maybe two true AA teams, the rest should be playing A, BB & B. The clubs are more than happy to placate the parents by putting together teams with the double and triple letters, as it means more money for the clubs and coaches that can make a living coaching amateur hockey. Do you realize that in Canada there is no such thing as paying coaches to coach? Coaching, even at the AA and AAA level is purely on a volunteer basis. There is a big raucous in Canada right now because a Midget coach told the parents they had to each pay him $300 to coach their kids for the season. He told them it was because the coaching was taking away from his job. The parents complained to the amateur association of Hockey Canada and he had to withdraw his request or quit. The statement that Hockey Canada made is that they did not want to start a precedence of parents paying for coaching. Hence the reason why the season fees to pay travel hockey in Canada are about $700.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
Give it a rip, the flight II PWAA teams are afraid to play a PWA team in a scrimmage in fear they will lose and face the reality they're really a PWA team. 

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
Give it a rip, the flight II PWAA teams are afraid to play a PWA team in a scrimmage in fear they will lose and face the reality they're really a PWA team.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^