This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Squirt A 2018-2019  (Read 18015 times)

hockeydad21

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
Squirt A 2018-2019
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »
As tryouts are just around the corner, time to get next year's thread going. Who looks to be the top teams? I am hearing Ducks are down and Kings are pretty solid.

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
Re: Squirt A 2018-2019
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
Best 08's for the Gulls are playing Peewee AA/A... doubt they'll repeat as 10U-A state champs, but you never know!

RonSwanson1

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
Gold Rush will be good, they have 2 A Teams an 08 and 09.

Duck apparently convinced four kids that were 08s and going to play pee wee A to stay down and play for Vasilevsky (sp). Heard they were good players so it will be interesting to see how they do

Kings will be solid as well as Gulls

Should be a competitive season

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
Update: Gulls aren't fielding a SqA team.  That team is going to play Peewee A.

Area 51

• Mite
  • LR Justice +78/-9
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
Since SCAHA doesn't have Squirt AA, strong 08s should be playing Peewee AA or at least Peewee A.

Hockeyking

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »
Or even PW AAA Just keep chasing the A’s

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
Since SCAHA doesn't have Squirt AA, strong 08s should be playing Peewee AA or at least Peewee A.
You can always have them play in the next JK tournament.
They should have an '14 SUPER DOOPER AAA division.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:15:22 PM by trans4761 »

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »

The number of A's matter little when comparing different states.  The Gulls squirt A team went to Chicago in February and entered a AA tourney that had couple AAA teams in it, they did ok as the only Squirt A team in it.  The AA/AAA teams there were comparable to the top teams in Squirt A here in CA. Only one team was really noticeably better (Rockford, IL - AA) and one team noticeably worse (Atlanta Fire AA).

Since other good 08's are playing up into Peewee (A and AA), and good '10's are probably playing up into Squirt somewhere (whole teams in B and BB and a few players sprinkled into A teams) it leaves Squirt A, and arguably the entire Squirt age bracket, watered down. It's no wonder there are multiple Peewee teams that have multiple 08's.

If they kept Squirts from playing up, and they added a AA division (and even a AAA), it might help alleviate the glut of teams at Squirt B/BB and the huge talent disparity between the tops and bottoms of those divisions.  It might even make the divisions more competitive as a whole... in theory at least.

RonSwanson1

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
The only disagreement I would have with that is the fact that the pee wee As are watered down as well with kids whose parents are chasing the A and the glory. I know of a bunch of kids that are playing up that will struggle (size and speed) and those teams will be mediocre at best. The fact that there are 20+ pee wee A teams is nuts

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »

and good '10's are probably playing up into Squirt somewhere (whole teams in B and BB and a few players sprinkled into A teams).

Are they back to allowing mites to play up into squirts?

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
The only disagreement I would have with that is the fact that the pee wee As are watered down as well with kids whose parents are chasing the A and the glory. I know of a bunch of kids that are playing up that will struggle (size and speed) and those teams will be mediocre at best. The fact that there are 20+ pee wee A teams is nuts

this...

wait until the little squirt guys run into the big 2nd year PWs, literally.  Mommy and Daddy gonna be screaming for penalties, but in reality they should be playing squirt.  Everybody wants they're kid to play up until they get knocked on their ass by a 5'4"  120 pound PW.  Remember, this is still a contact sport, that's why they got pads on.  see ya in PWA...

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »

and good '10's are probably playing up into Squirt somewhere (whole teams in B and BB and a few players sprinkled into A teams).

Are they back to allowing mites to play up into squirts?

Nope. And CAHA should put Squirts back in their proper division as well, if they had any concern for the overall growth of the sport in California. I thought there was talk of a C division, to essentially make that a true beginner level? 
I'm your Huckleberry

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:13:10 AM »

this...

wait until the little squirt guys run into the big 2nd year PWs, literally.  Mommy and Daddy gonna be screaming for penalties, but in reality they should be playing squirt.  Everybody wants they're kid to play up until they get knocked on their ass by a 5'4"  120 pound PW.  Remember, this is still a contact sport, that's why they got pads on.  see ya in PWA...
No, the ref would have called the penalty. Anytime a Squirt age team playing up (assumed smaller kids), the refs seem to take their side. If a bigger Pee Wee even looks crossed eyed at one of them, he draws the penalty. Meanwhile, these smaller kids are constantly taking cheap shots because they know that they can get away with it. 

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »
And yet, the parents of those kids will tell you how that doesn't happen, and they don't get the protective calls.  Meanwhile the refs, many of whom struggle to skate down the ice competently, are given the instruction that the most important thing is the "safety" of the kids, so whenever there's a big kid bumping into a little kid in a 50/50 puck, and the little kid bounces off, the refs are going to make a call 80% of the time.  Most of the larger kids figure this out, and you see a whole different brand of hockey.  It can be eye opening to play a tournament in Boston or Minnesota and see how those games are reffed.

I really don't blame the refs.  They are barely paid enough per game to cover their investment in their uniforms and gas.  The experienced refs do beer league because they are paid more, and the games aren't at 7am on a saturday morning.  If the leagues actually cared to fix this issue they would raise the pay and invest in more mentoring and evaluations.  As it stands, even at Peewee you can and do get refs who have only passed their level 1 test, and may have been skating for 6 months.  It's sad to watch a game where 10 year olds are skating circles around an adult, but that is the reality you face at least until Bantams.

The best you can do is see it for the broken comedic circus it is, and keep reminding yourself that if things go well your son or daughter will still be playing the sport when they are 14 and 15, and you start to see what level of the sport they might be capable of.

hockeydad21

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
Any score updates from this weekend? I am curious how this division is going to pan out.