This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: ADHSHL 2018 / 2019  (Read 36316 times)

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
Re: ADHSHL 2018 / 2019
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 07:43:04 AM »
I know one of the THA teams will be playing some 18 AA teams in SJ this coming weekend. We'll see how they do.

THA will one team in El Segundo and one in San Jose. They have some Goalies skating with the prep team with some other kids that might be on the bubble... Should be interesting to see how both teams play this weekend. Might have to head to LA to see Varsity team play Friday night before i head up to see my kid play in San Jose... ;D

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 09:07:09 PM »
Gotta admit that Tahoe did better than I thought they would in San Jose.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:08:03 PM by JakesDad01 »

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
Gotta admit that Tahoe did better than I thought they would in San Jose.

Why is that???? I’m not surprised at all and they were missing a couple players.

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
The THA Prep team is off to a great start. I'm so proud of the boys and how they really came together. It's gonna be a very exciting year for them!

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »
Congrats to the Teams making Championship appearances and those taking the cups at this weekend's IHE Tournament in the OC.

U18AA/Varsity Elite:   Santa Margarita D1 over CA Wave

Varsity D3:  Corona/Norco over Santa Margarita D3

HS Varsity:  Pacific Ridge over La Jolla Country Day

As usual, a very well run event.

Ten35enforcer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 08:03:49 AM »
IHE Tournament was a good kickoff for the ADHSHL 2018-19 season.

Looks like some teams need to get the kinks out before regular season.  SMHS looks like they haven't lost a step.  JS will be fine with a few tweaks.  DHS needs alot of work if they'll compete.  Some of the D2 schools have improved a ton...props to Pac Ridge and LJCD.  Capo did not perform as expected but will be very good in D2.

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »
IHE Tournament was a good kickoff for the ADHSHL 2018-19 season.

Looks like some teams need to get the kinks out before regular season.  SMHS looks like they haven't lost a step.  JS will be fine with a few tweaks.  DHS needs alot of work if they'll compete.  Some of the D2 schools have improved a ton...props to Pac Ridge and LJCD.  Capo did not perform as expected but will be very good in D2.

Agreed.  JSerra looked great in a heated and very close contest vs WR in the one game I saw on Saturday evening. If Capo can focus on hockey and mentally prepare they seem to have the athletes it would take to do well.  Glad to see SM handling business and maintaining the hockey power house mystique for SoCal high school hockey.  All in all the ADHSHL is a blossoming landscape for some fantastic hockey. Good luck to all the knuckleheads this season.

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 08:28:40 AM »
I hope that the ADHSHL looks for Balance of Schedule.

Opinion:

Take a look at the teams schedules.  Is there a team that stays "close to home".  Think about how many home games vs actual away games...  Why would anyone schedule all of their away games in the same county?  My answer is simple... 

I'm not saying favoritism, but rather how the travel budget is spent.  It also will give kids a competitive advantage if they don't have to travel as often.

Good luck to everyone this year.  Let the games begin...

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
I hope that the ADHSHL looks for Balance of Schedule.

Opinion:

Take a look at the teams schedules.  Is there a team that stays "close to home".  Think about how many home games vs actual away games...  Why would anyone schedule all of their away games in the same county?  My answer is simple... 

I'm not saying favoritism, but rather how the travel budget is spent.  It also will give kids a competitive advantage if they don't have to travel as often.

Good luck to everyone this year.  Let the games begin...
Not really sure what you're getting at here, but if I'm reading between the lines, you're complaining that a league that is based in Southern California with the intention of being an Orange County Only League "DUCKS" has graciously allowed teams from other areas to join its league and the teams that have been a part of the league from the start should now have a huge travel budget to meet the needs of these out of town teams?  Those teams that asked to join the league could certainly create their own league(s) or ask their Pro teams to support them in their venture and then we could have a system that would support multiple areas and have a good playoff format at the end of the season - all while keeping costs down.

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 03:46:05 PM »
Fair enough, One and Done...  You have a valid point.

True... everyone could be independent.  All of the "Out of town" teams should spend more for travel.  It's not about the cost, it is about the competitive competition level of the league.  Yes travel hockey is expensive, and no one wants to be forced to travel, but travel is a necessary component for hockey's growth. 
I for one support the ADHSHL.  I believe in the product, and the opportunities there in.  I would just like to see a mix of schedule for all teams to travel.  If a team doesn't want to spend the money or travel, so be it.  But I think by not traveling, you are selling the kids and programs involved short.  Just an opinion...   

Oh well... I'm rambling... Looking forward to some entertaining games. 
Thankful to be playing in the league.  Have fun and stay positive!!!  "Mic drop!"

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:30:48 PM by Justabdad »

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
Question:  In the ADHSL league, do teams rank themselves?  Forgive me I haven't had a chance to read the rulebook...  Can a D2 team declare D1 and visa versa?  I am just curious how the teams / league establish an appropriate division/ranking. 

Thanks for your input in advance!

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
Sorry for the novel in advance…

Teams are definitely traveling more but I do see your point that one particular team at D1 isn’t and hasn’t traveled anywhere in past few years. Maybe has something to do with a certain coach and his connection to the league or his obligations to his AAA team and/or job at the Jr. Ducks.  Olu, JSerra, and Damien are all traveling to San Jose this year and JSerra and Damien are going to Vegas.  A few games in San Diego and a team traveling to Tahoe.

In regard to the league and declarations, D1 schools are “pure” meaning all kids go to one school physically at a location and are considered to be more and sometimes less competitive than D2 schools.  D2 draw from a larger District area and you would think would have an advantage because it’s pulling from multiple high schools, but the fact is many of the better players have been scooped up by the more prestigious schools and some but not all get financial help regarding school or hockey or both.  D1 and D2 are similar to high end AA with a little bit of AAA talent mixed in. 

D3 is a combo of pure and non pure teams but just doesn’t have the talent to compete in the top leagues (lower end AA – higher end A).  JV is basically A/B hockey and is sometimes split up into a higher “flight” and lower if there is a large disparity in teams or a team that is crushing everyone at JV might get moved to D3 and vice versa.  The league usually evaluates the first 4 games of the season and then adjusts (yes, similar to the jamboree but real games spread over 4-5 weeks).

There has been talk of kids playing on D1 schools that do online schooling which supposedly isn’t allowed by USA hockey, nor is boarding schools but I guess the league is overlooking that part of the equation which would be a problem if Tahoe made Nationals. 

St. John Bosco who I believe was trying to play D1 and certainly has the talent but has issues because its foreign players are billeted, play Tier 1 or 2 and sometimes have lost Amateur status and they also just do online schooling in many cases.  Tahoe has similar issues and they really fall into the Prep Division, but they supposedly have a different team playing prep, so not sure where that leaves their high school team?

From 2018 Nationals Guidebook

High School Varsity and Prep School
Varsity Division (male and female teams): Pure teams that are community based public high schools, private schools drawing their students exclusively from a local metropolitan area (excluding any school that boards players) OR a combined team from a state that has NO pure teams.

Representation from each state will be determined by the state affiliate participating in the tournament. Billeted players competing on Youth Tier I, Youth Tier II or any junior teams are not eligible to compete in the High School Varsity national tournament. Participation is restricted to amateurs who are full-time students (grades 9-12), and 19 years old or under as of December 31 of the playing season. Eligibility is not to exceed eight (consecutive semesters starting with a player’s freshman year. Clarification: Those high school students graduating mid-year are no longer full-time students and therefore, are not eligible to play on a varsity high school hockey team, effective on their last day of attending classes full-time.

Prep School Division (male and female teams): Boarding schools, non-community based high schools and others. All teams, players and coaches must register with USA Hockey prior to application for participation. For districts only, these rules and regulations may be modified for local and state association competition and districts that are composed of a single state, as conditions may require. Player eligibility regulations may not be less restrictive than those governing national championships.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:50:30 AM by OneandDone »

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
Thank you for your insightful and intelligent post OneandDone!  It is most appreciated.

I didn't know that the coach was working at multiple teams.  That explains a lot about the travel preference for that one team.  In the end... we all have a "mountain" to climb to the top.   Have fun and good luck with your team this year. [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size]I[size=78%][/size]'m out...

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
This weeks ADHSL highlight reel.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1046785631920091136

Ten35enforcer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »
Looks like a bit more parody amongst the teams in D1 and D2.  It's good to see the divisional cross over play too.  D2 has some really good teams.  The standings aren't a good reflection as to how talented all of these teams are either.  Both divisions have been exciting to watch!

Could be anyone's game at both divisions.  Very exciting season so far!