This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: ADHSHL 2018 / 2019  (Read 36229 times)

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
Re: ADHSHL 2018 / 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
O.k. Lets see... Div 1. As of right now I see Santa Margarita playing Tahoe in the Championship game again.  This year, unlike prior years, SM looks vulnerable... My take... Tahoe wins it all!

Div 2: Pacific Ridge and Capistrano will play for the Div 2 championship.  It's a shame that they don't take the Div 2 champ and make them play the Div 1 champ for the ADHSHL unified championship.  This year, it looks like a Div 2 team could win it all... 

Thoughts?

Ten35enforcer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »
I agree with the D2 picks for that final with Capo winning it.

D1...Sorry, if SM is at full strength they will not be beaten by anyone in ADHSHL.  But I can see Tahoe meeting up with them in the D1 finals.  (My kid doesn't attend any of these schools, but does play in D1)  SM is a machine, well coached!  Teams better come prepared, they trap the neutral zone well.

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Congratulations to JSerra for winning the CAHA High School 1A championship.  It's a shame that Tahoe is not able to complete for this championship. 

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 09:41:06 AM »
Congratulations to JSerra for winning the CAHA High School 1A championship.  It's a shame that Tahoe is not able to complete for this championship.

might've missed this (and too lazy to look), but why can't tahoe compete?

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
IMO... Unfortunately the rules are written in a way that Caha requires the teams to only have local CA students.  This is problematic for any program that has a student that transfers there from out of state.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:52 PM »
IMO... Unfortunately the rules are written in a way that Caha requires the teams to only have local CA students.  This is problematic for any program that has a student that transfers there from out of state.
"Too much of an advantage" they say? What's really unfortunate is that CAHA rules and regs are written by clowns...

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
It's a USA Hockey Rule not a CAHA Rule.  USA Hockey are Clowns!!!!

High School Varsity
Varsity Division (male and female teams): Pure teams that are community-based public high schools, private schools drawing their students exclusively from a local metropolitan area (excluding any school that boards players)

Hockeykid

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »
So why couldn't THA play in the CAHA High School 2A championship?
Also, why is there a CAHA HS State Playoff & also a ADHSHL Playoff? Seems like 1 HS championship playoff tournament would be enough?

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
Because THA is a Prep School that boards players.  Tahoe is in US Independent Prep and a part of the NAHP Prep School Division http://naphl.com/game-center/team-stats?season=175&league_code=5

In the USA Independent Prep Rankings they are 17th out of 21 teams https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2018&a=4&v=495

D2 teams are combined schools with kids who are supposedly living with their parents* in a particular District or Area
*St. John Bosco

The obvious advantages of a prep school are that they can draw and board or billet players from anywhere and place them directly on their campus (In the case of THA their makeshift campus).  They do not live with their parents.  Even in Minnesota (which is the best high school hockey in my opinion) kids have to be living with their parents to play high school hockey.  If parents want to go a different direction and send their kids off to a prep school, they likely end up in the New England Prep Division or US Independent Prep.  Even Shattuck in MN is in the US Independent Prep.  Note that they do not play in the MN High School Hockey League they play mostly 18AAA teams and other prep schools.  They also have access to more ice time than any other team in a SoCal High School League, so yes it is an unfair advantage.

From what I was told, the ADHSHL wasn’t even going to allow THA to play this year but some strings were pulled and they were back in.  I don’t know why the ADHSHL playoffs come after the State playoffs but it is what it is… IMO the ADHSHL playoff (which includes all teams) should be done first and then the top 4 CAHA teams can battle it out for the RR State championship.

Hockeykid

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
OneandDone Cool, Thanks for the info! Very informative.

So Saint Mary's Stockton should fall into the same category as THA since they billet players from out of the area. Then if THA gets bounced from ADHSHL, then Saint Mary's should as well. That would ruin both programs!

Any idea what HS teams are playing in the CAHA High School Div 1B & 2B tournaments over the March 22nd weekend in Valencia?

RW

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-2
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2019, 03:59:56 PM »
"IMO the ADHSHL playoff (which includes all teams) should be done first and then the top 4 CAHA teams can battle it out for the RR State championship."

I'm guessing CAHA playoffs were held last weekend in part because the AAA Pacific Districts are this weekend and several kids on JSerra, SM and OLu would have had conflicts if the CAHA playoffs were held this weekend (I believe those teams consider the CAHA playoffs more valuable).  Unfortunately, those three teams will be shorthanded this weekend in the ADHSHL playoffs.  It wouldn't be a surprise to see THA take advantage of that.