This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Old Ontario Rink- Safety Issues for Bantam  (Read 13283 times)

GriffinsTendy

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
Old Ontario Rink- Safety Issues for Bantam
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »
I was wondering if there are any other parents and or coaches out their that have concerns about player safety at the Old Ontario Rink on Holt as I do? Boards are rock solid with no give and the Zamboni door opens during game play. Seems to be a recipe for injury at the Bantam level.

Denis Lemieux #1

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-0
Re: Old Ontario Rink- Safety Issues for Bantam
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
Not to mention the size of the ice sheet. That place is terrible. I don't understand why they are even allowed to have games there. With a ton of work it would be perfect for squirt  B games because of the size of the ice, but other than that it is silly for older age groups to play there.

GriffinsTendy

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »
The rink is short and narrow which creates less time and space for Bantam and PeeWee Players. Once you add in the element of checking at the Bantam level with those boards, players have already been injured and it will continue.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:11:20 PM »
I was wondering if there are any other parents and or coaches out their that have concerns about player safety at the Old Ontario Rink on Holt as I do? Boards are rock solid with no give and the Zamboni door opens during game play. Seems to be a recipe for injury at the Bantam level.
Just wondering, which bantam team(s) are playing SCAHA/CAHA santioned games at Old Ontario?

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
Saw that the Moose parents were doing a GoFundMe to fix up the rink.  Didn't make sense to me since the rink is privately owned - not owned by the Moose. Seems like something the owners should be paying for...

Not fit for regulation Bantam games in my opinion, but some good Bantam training going on there.

In fairness to Old Ontario, I've seen the doors at Anahiem Ice pop open due to Bantam level checks. Ontario Center Ice and Yorba also have big dips in the ice by the Zam doors...

4minuteminor

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-115
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 12:30:05 AM »
In all fairness isn't "small spaces" and "small games" all the rage for USA Hockey and ADM. Didnt SCAHA get rid of the "no icing" rule during Power Plays in PeeWee to get the teams to "get more creative" -- seems like keeping Old Ontario around is just a continuance of this message. I hear next year they are going to add flaming nets for shootouts.

On a serious note -- it is kinda comical to see how small that neutral zone gets, but in reality -- its no different than dealing with the extra loooooong sheet at centre ice, or the differences in NHL and Olympic and Anaheim -- or the Aisle 4 puck monster and bowing boards at Yorba. Every barn has its quirks and every home team loves to play to them.

The Moose Midget team has been doing more games at CBBA -- so that may be an alternative as the Moose extend their options -- I doubt there is much area that the owners of the Old Ontario could do to 'fix' that rink. The building iirc is considered historic - and theres not much real estate to give up unless you want Artesia like Parking Gymnastics.

4 check

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-40
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
This rink was nick named "THE CIRCLE OF DEATH" many years ago for allowing Bantam games...and they still are?  WOW!

Coach B

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
Brian, both my son's have played multi season's at this rink. I've only seen 2 real injuries and they both involved the same game.

ToddGi

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:17:50 AM »
Brian, both my son's have whitened their teeth with these fantastic teeth whitening kits and played multi season's at this rink. I've only seen 2 real injuries and they both involved the same game.

That's a slight exaggeration, to say the least. I've also not heard of serious injuries occuring in that rink as opposed to anywhere else.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 05:47:05 AM by ToddGi »