This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: T1E showcase at TSC  (Read 36894 times)

Pulsarhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +13/-1
Re: T1E showcase at TSC
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Just a few things to mull over.
1. California AAA hockey = tons of travel and missing a lot of school
2. Missing a lot of school at the high school level will impact your kid's ability to get into a good college. Prep school = NO missed school and a great education. Cost could comparable to Ca AAA hockey when you add travel expenses and extra coaching. Many prep schools give decent scholarships to make costs very comparable. You'll just be missing your kid, but the same would happen in juniors.  I don't know much about the education programs offered in juniors but I don't think it could compare to a good prep school education.
3. If a top notch college isn't in your plans or your kid is going to the NHL, it doesn't matter.
4. With only around 60 D1 college teams and limited scholarships, your kids chances are very low unless they are a "star". Remember, you are competing with kids around the world.
5. California AAA hockey means competing pretty much with your age group.  That is where Juniors and Prep is far superior.  Your kid will play kids 2-3 years older. Fast and bigger hitting. If they excel there, your kid will have a much better shot.
6. Many college club hockey programs are great, very competitive but will impact studies much less. Some of those kids who excel there could make the jump to varsity and many come from juniors
7. There is much less supervision in Juniors while alcohol, smoking, vaping and drug use is much higher than Prep...your kid will need to handle extreme peer pressure.
8. Trades in Juniors happens all the time...
9. AA hockey means much less missed school and college club hockey is still a real possibility in many college...probably just not the big hockey colleges.
10. Lastly.....California AAA hockey and juniors means missing out on a great high school experience...clubs, proms -- a part of life that many look back upon with fond memories. Do you really want your kid to miss out on a great high school year if they aren't going to the NHL or a D1 college hockey program? 

Lots to think about to be sure.  Wishing you all a great season! 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:46:11 PM by Pulsarhockey »

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
2. Missing a lot of school at the high school level will impact your kid's ability to get into a good college. Prep school = NO missed school and a great education. Cost could comparable to Ca AAA hockey when you add travel expenses and extra coaching. Many prep schools give decent scholarships to make costs very comparable. You'll just be missing your kid, but the same would happen in juniors.  I don't know much about the education programs offered in juniors but I don't think it could compare to a good prep school education.
3. If a top notch college isn't in your plans or your kid is going to the NHL, it doesn't matter.
4. With only around 60 D1 college teams and limited scholarships, your kids chances are very low unless they are a "star". Remember, you are competing with kids around the world.
5. California AAA hockey means competing pretty much with your age group.  That is where Juniors and Prep is far superior.  Your kid will play kids 2-3 years older. Fast and bigger hitting. If they excel there, your kid will have a much better shot.
6. Many college club hockey programs are great, very competitive but will impact studies much less. Some of those kids who excel there could make the jump to varsity and many come from juniors
7. There is much less supervision in Juniors while alcohol, smoking, vaping and drug use is much higher than Prep...your kid will need to handle extreme peer pressure.
9. AA hockey means much less missed school and college club hockey is still a real possibility in many college...probably just not the big hockey colleges.
10. Lastly.....California AAA hockey and juniors means missing out on a great high school experience...clubs, proms -- a part of life that many look back upon with fond memories. Do you really want your kid to miss out on a great high school year if they aren't going to the NHL or a D1 college hockey program? 

^^^ What he said. ^^^

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »

^^^ What he said. ^^^

This is a very good post.   The other option kids may have in AAA and AA. the the CHL( WHL)  this does give kids a option to play Jrs and get funds for school.  You sign with the team,  you get 15k USA or CDN. Depends on Where you live.  You play 1 Ex game another 15k.  But if you get hurt on ice and are done, you get 4 yrs of school 60k.   For every year of playing another 15k for school.  So your son could play in the WHL then go to school at CSUN, UNLV,CSLB,San Jose State, etc   You get the idea.

While this does take out the NCAA hockey playing option.   You do play hockey at Jrs. then go to school after.  Yes it is hard for kids who have not gone to school for a year or two to get back into it. 

The post written above is very good. I would say traveling with the teams as a U15 and U16 you do get to see the country. You also see your child learn to grow on his own and they figure quickly what happens when you dont air out your bag or forget under armor, etc.   

Who ever wrote that ... kudos

Pop

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-9
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
A kid from THA last year is playing in USHL this year?  What team?   Saying kids are going AAA out east doesn’t mean much, there are more bad/pretend AAA teams then there are good one out east.  WSHL is a pretend jr league that a average MN high school hockey player could make any team.  And why go to MN and play 4 games against teamsnot from MN?  Your in MN why not challenge yourself and play a MN team?  Would it ruin the illusion?  Seems like a lot of money for development to maybe WSHL.  And look how many kids they move on.

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
A kid from THA last year is playing in USHL this year?  What team?   Saying kids are going AAA out east doesn’t mean much, there are more bad/pretend AAA teams then there are good one out east.  WSHL is a pretend jr league that a average MN high school hockey player could make any team.  And why go to MN and play 4 games against teamsnot from MN?  Your in MN why not challenge yourself and play a MN team?  Would it ruin the illusion?  Seems like a lot of money for development to maybe WSHL.  And look how many kids they move on.

I apologize he isnt in that league as I thought he was.... We dont make the schedule for NAHL.... And im pretty the most of the teams are not snot... Put it this way its not as much as AAA kids from Cali are paying for there season. My son will play somewhere between 50-60 games this year on the ice 5 days a week top of the line off ice training facility with top level trainers. My sons last year in Cali playing AA for the wave and HS hockey I spent well over 20,000.00 just for dues extra ice time which would only make 3 days a week and traveling no off ice trainers and no top notch facility, and not to say that the average cost per day to provide for kid is roughly 30.00 a day, so take that in consideration over 9 month while he is at THA thats another 9500.00. The fact is THA hasn't even completed there third year but have doubled there family from 17 the first year to 37 this year.... Not to bad. Give them 5 years and come back and ask that question and see what kind of answer you will get. This years Prep Team is BY FAR the most skilled the most tenacious group of boys they have had. Watching them play is a joy and this year is the haapiest my kid has ever had since his mite and squirts days.... So right there makes it worth it for my wife and I.

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »

I apologize he isnt in that league as I thought he was.... We dont make the schedule for NAHL.... And im pretty the most of the teams are not snot... Put it this way its not as much as AAA kids from Cali are paying for there season. My son will play somewhere between 50-60 games this year on the ice 5 days a week top of the line off ice training facility with top level trainers. My sons last year in Cali playing AA for the wave and HS hockey I spent well over 20,000.00 just for dues extra ice time which would only make 3 days a week and traveling no off ice trainers and no top notch facility, and not to say that the average cost per day to provide for kid is roughly 30.00 a day, so take that in consideration over 9 month while he is at THA thats another 9500.00. The fact is THA hasn't even completed there third year but have doubled there family from 17 the first year to 37 this year.... Not to bad. Give them 5 years and come back and ask that question and see what kind of answer you will get. This years Prep Team is BY FAR the most skilled the most tenacious group of boys they have had. Watching them play is a joy and this year is the haapiest my kid has ever had since his mite and squirts days.... So right there makes it worth it for my wife and I.

hopefully the education at THA is better than the spelling and grammar in this post.

boy was that difficult to read...

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »

hopefully the education at THA is better than the spelling and grammar in this post.

boy was that difficult to read...

Lol it’s all good. I’m ok where I’m at and both my kids are at. Daughter at a D1 full ride and a son I couldn’t be more proud of where he is at and where he is going. Enjoy your year gentleman.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »
Nobody was questioning your kids.

BRAZZERS

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-92
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:41 AM »
THA=Hot Garbage 🗑.  Nice “online” education.  Do they pass out Walmart applications when your punk asz  kid doesn’t go anywhere after that poor excuse of an Academy?   

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2018, 05:04:24 AM »
THA=Hot Garbage 🗑.  Nice “online” education.  Do they pass out Walmart applications when your punk asz  kid doesn’t go anywhere after that poor excuse of an Academy?

😂😂😂😂
To bad kids are taking AP classes at SLTHS. I take it your Walmart application got denied???

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 06:21:27 AM »

😂😂😂😂
To bad kids are taking AP classes at SLTHS. I take it your Walmart application got denied???

you can get a masters “online” too - doesn’t mean a legitimate corporation puts any value on it...

Pop

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-9
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 06:23:26 AM »
Don’t make NAHL schedule? ???  How many kids that played at THA last year are playing in the NAHL?  You would think with having a daughter with a D1 full ride you would be able to see how low quality the hockey played at THA is.  Again why go to MN and not play a team from MN?  Can’t THA compete with even a bad MN team?   It’s not for exposure.  D1/D3 coaches and USHL and NAHL scouts aren’t going to showcases that are lower level hockey then MN high school.  It’s a waste of their time.  Pay to play jrs scouts will be there because if parents will pay for bad hockey now, they will pay for their kid to play jrs.  You don’t have to pay for legitimate jr hockey.  So if you kids are having fun at THA that’s great.  But to think kids are playing high quality hockey and moving kids to a real jr league isn’t happening. 

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2018, 07:40:02 AM »
Awesome man thanks for your input.....^^^^^

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »
Don’t make NAHL schedule? ???  How many kids that played at THA last year are playing in the NAHL?  You would think with having a daughter with a D1 full ride you would be able to see how low quality the hockey played at THA is.  Again why go to MN and not play a team from MN?  Can’t THA compete with even a bad MN team? 

I have no problem with the legitimate questioning of THA hyperbole, but at least we should straighten out a few things.  Their prep team is playing in the NAPHL.  THA did play in an NAPHL tournament in the Prep School division, which is a new thing for the NAPHL this season.  They are not going to play against AAA caliber teams unless they were to move to a higher division.  Playing in a tournament no matter where it is, is not the same as going to a state and setting up scrimmages.  You play who you draw, and there are only a few teams from Minny that play in the NAPHL. 

With that said, any program has to start somewhere, and while the Prep division is new and undoubtably weaker than the AAA/AA divisions, THA did well at least in the tournament.  In the next few years we will see whether players move onto NAHL teams from THA, but there is no debating that you can move from the NAHL to College hockey (Div1 & Div3).

Overall, I would have to say that THA has come a long way in a short amount of time, and if anything, are farther along at this point than I would have expected them to be.  From an educational standpoint, I don't see much difference between what they are doing, and the gazillion people these days who home school their kids.  THA is billed as a hockey academy, not a Prep school that happens to have hockey, so it's not like they are projecting themselves to be something that they aren't.

4 Days a Week

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »
NAPHL Teams: http://naphl.com/teams/

NAHLPrep Teams: http://nahlprep.com/teams/

Very different League.