This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Nice article from a former NorCal hockey player  (Read 10310 times)

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
Nice article from a former NorCal hockey player
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
Found this article and the author (who's Dad I know) makes some good points:

https://seltytending.com/opinion/california-youth-hockey-is-a-step-in-the-wrong-direction/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:57:25 AM by JakesDad01 »

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
Re: Nice article from a former NorCal hockey player
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
Pretty much a fluff piece, with a ton of opinion and not many facts. Most of it is a weak re-hash of what had been hashed out on this forum ad-nauseam. Some of it is just plain wrong.

Not saying all is perfect in the world of California hockey, and I would LOVE to see a well thought out analysis and suggestions for improvement that could be presented as a roadmap to future success...but that article ain't it.

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
I don’t know. I think it’s pretty spot on. I don’t think CAHA is the problem, but the politics are.

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »
Pretty much a fluff piece, with a ton of opinion and not many facts. Most of it is a weak re-hash of what had been hashed out on this forum ad-nauseam. Some of it is just plain wrong.

Not saying all is perfect in the world of California hockey, and I would LOVE to see a well thought out analysis and suggestions for improvement that could be presented as a roadmap to future success...but that article ain't it.

Yes these has been posted and discussed before. Not sure I agree with the statement of it being a fluff piece though.  The author is now serving in the sports department of a college back east while in that school and does interact with their hockey department so he has some perspective too.

Agree that he does not provide a solution as the options here are limited due to the lack of players but IMO his analysis of the ovet all state in Calif is right on based on my experiences.

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »

Yes these has been posted and discussed before. Not sure I agree with the statement of it being a fluff piece though.  The author is now serving in the sports department of a college back east while in that school and does interact with their hockey department so he has some perspective too.

Agree that he does not provide a solution as the options here are limited due to the lack of players but IMO his analysis of the ovet all state in Calif is right on based on my experiences.

"Fluff piece" is probably the wrong description. However, it IS a watered down "recap" of all the vitriol that has gone on on this board for the last few years.

Besides not offering solutions, I am not quite sure it is very accurate either. What proof is offered that the Jr Sharks are imminently going to be kicked out of Tier 1 Elite? He also states that the flight system was a result of "A" hockey above bantam level going away--I doubt that is true either. Like the flight system or not, I am certain the reason for it was to attempt to tighten up the competition level differences of a wide variety of teams. We can certainly discuss whether or not the choices of CAHA has done more harm or more good, but I think his "reason" for the flight system is inaccurate.

In the end every person on this board has skin in this game...one way or another...and we all want it to succeed. But beating a dead horse with no suggestions and stating inaccuracies does not help much. JMHO
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:36:38 PM by rmackintosh »

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Well like the article or not that’s up to you. I was just putting it out there as another perspective.  It is much easier to criticize than to come up with solutions or act (as in the article).  It does re-iterate a lot of points that have been that have been brought up here too.
Until some group of people try to force change, it will be more of the same and in the end that will be to the detriment of most of the kids. But it is what it is unless change is forced upon the powers that be. I’m not a big fan of THA yet. However they at least are trying to change hockey here in California. Whether they are successful or not only time will tell.
My son’s time in California travel hockey is almost over and we have no illusions that he will be playing at any higher level. I definitely will be glad that I will be out of all the politics of it. I will miss most of the other parents and watching my son play though. I believe that he mostly had fun during this time – especially after I backed off from my sideline coaching a few years back.
Sorry for the long winded post – just my 2 cents worth – if it is even worth that much.

hockeybum

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
If any of you had kids that played Cal South soccer several years ago, that is the model for hockey. You definitely need to get rid of the politics and the the coaches that are about money only.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
Taking money out of so cal hockey is harder than taking water out of ice.

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
Well like the article or not that’s up to you. I was just putting it out there as another perspective.  It is much easier to criticize than to come up with solutions or act (as in the article).  It does re-iterate a lot of points that have been that have been brought up here too.
Until some group of people try to force change, it will be more of the same and in the end that will be to the detriment of most of the kids. But it is what it is unless change is forced upon the powers that be. I’m not a big fan of THA yet. However they at least are trying to change hockey here in California. Whether they are successful or not only time will tell.
My son’s time in California travel hockey is almost over and we have no illusions that he will be playing at any higher level. I definitely will be glad that I will be out of all the politics of it. I will miss most of the other parents and watching my son play though. I believe that he mostly had fun during this time – especially after I backed off from my sideline coaching a few years back.
Sorry for the long winded post – just my 2 cents worth – if it is even worth that much.

I feel you--and agree in many ways--I just don't think this article hits the spot for me.

I agree, teams like THA and the new St Mary's may not be "there" yet, but they ARE stepping out of the box and trying something new--for that I too salute them and hope they succeed! I have no answers to what ails CAHA--but I for one, thought the flight system worked great--at least in terms of my sons teams and experience. We can discuss the fairness of the Jamboree and the whole evaluation process--I don't like them either.

In the end it is going to take a strong hand to make meaningful change--that will most likely have to come WITHIN CAHA itself--so, people more dedicated than I will have to get on the board and make the right moves for California hockey. I truly hope that happens.

Like you, our time in California travel hockey is in its later stages--we have a few more days left than you, but I don't see too much changing in my sons time here. I just hope it continues to grow and get better--no matter the pace. It has been GREAT fun and the ride has been amazing!

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
If any of you had kids that played Cal South soccer several years ago, that is the model for hockey. You definitely need to get rid of the politics and the the coaches that are about money only.
Isn't it the parents that drive this craziness? They're the ones putting money in the coaches pockets. They're the one that forget this is a youth sport. Money makes politics dis-functional and where does that money come from?