This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Gulls  (Read 7102 times)

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
Gulls
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
I know very little about san diego hockey other than the locations of good diners near the rinks, so looking at the standings today I wonder what the heck happened to the Gulls? five years ago they had solid teams at most every age, including aa and aaa, were placing a couple kids a year into college hockey, new rinks were coming online and the ahl was coming to town.  things were looking up. now, they dont seem to have even a decent aa team, and even their squirt and peewwe teams are poor. what happened? are all the talented kids driving north on the 5 to play? curious.

jvreagan

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
Re: Gulls
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »
Are the Saints picking off the Gulls better players?  At Bantam Saints have two strong AA teams.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
Are the Saints picking off the Gulls better players?  At Bantam Saints have two strong AA teams.

At Bantam that is certainly part of it.  They had a pretty good PWAA team last season, and from what I heard from some parents, the team disbanded and some of the players ended up playing for the Saints '05 team that is doing well nationally and is one of a number of teams that could challenge the bottom Flight1 teams.

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
It is hard to play a sport from a perimeter area.  Time spent and cost of travel take their toll.  (Maybe that is why the SD High School teams are shaping up so well lately.)
SD management and coaching is subject to same/typical well cited problems of most club systems.  Those who venture North have found that out.  Though it is still the perimeter markets that benefit from being in CAHA - particularly Norcal.  LA/OC has become the place, in Cali.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
I know several families that have traveled north since PW's.