This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Elimination of checking?  (Read 24943 times)

Pop

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-9
Re: Elimination of checking?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
CA has just under 40 kids playing D1. That’s means just under 10 kids a year from CA will move to D1.  All of those kids had to play legitimate jrs first(USHL,NAHL,BCHL).  Im guessing a few of the kids went from CA AAA to jrs to D1. My question is if 60-90 kids from 1-2 birth year are leaving CA for hockey where are they ending up when only 4-5 will make D1. And it’s not D3 because only about 20 kids a year from CA make D3.  And some of those are coming from CA AAA.

jvreagan

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
My question is if 60-90 kids from 1-2 birth year are leaving CA for hockey where are they ending up when only 4-5 will make D1. And it’s not D3 because only about 20 kids a year from CA make D3.  And some of those are coming from CA AAA.

Perhaps they are doing prep not for hockey but rather for prep school education and on to college.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »
My question is if 60-90 kids from 1-2 birth year are leaving CA for hockey where are they ending up when only 4-5 will make D1. And it’s not D3 because only about 20 kids a year from CA make D3.  And some of those are coming from CA AAA.

Perhaps they are doing prep not for hockey but rather for prep school education and on to college.

Most kids going the prep school route don't pursue hockey afterwards. Apart from a handful of hockey factories, prep school isn't the best platform for that.  They are mostly going to get a good education at a school where they can also play hockey, rather than vice versa, though in some cases their hockey ability will get them the $$ needed to make the education affordable.

Pop

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-9
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
So even though a previous poster said 60-90 CA hockey players went to east cost prep for development, reality is that they don’t go for the hockey but for schooling.  That makes more sense because it doesn’t look like any CA move to D1 from eastern prep. Shattuck looks like the only prep school that moves CA kids on.  Just confused me because prep school is always brought up here as a option for hockey development. So I was just wondering when the last time a CA kid made it to D1 by leaving CA for east coast prep.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
So even though a previous poster said 60-90 CA hockey players went to east cost prep for development, reality is that they don’t go for the hockey but for schooling.  That makes more sense because it doesn’t look like any CA move to D1 from eastern prep. Shattuck looks like the only prep school that moves CA kids on.  Just confused me because prep school is always brought up here as a option for hockey development. So I was just wondering when the last time a CA kid made it to D1 by leaving CA for east coast prep.

It's a fantasy.  The numbers don't lie.

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »

its true, the numbers don't lie. here they are: over 150 midget-aged kids socal kids (2000-2003) are playing hockey elsewhere this season.  about 2/3rds of the departed kids are playing at prep schools in new england, canada or the midwest, with the other third playing at aaa clubs. currently a dozen at shattuck.

about two dozen kids in recent years have taken the california-->prep school -->ncaa division 1 route, and are playing right now in division 1 (including boys and girls). approx half of that group attended shattuck. here are some of them: becker, o'donnell, weyrick, gavin nieto, tait, kozlowski, mcmanus, mcelhaney, mehr, demey, lown, johnson, bailey bennett, england, humphrey, cayla barnes (olympic gold medal, too). also are many now playing d3, and over a dozen playing junior who might eventually get to d1 or d3. 

"
just wondering when the last time a CA kid made it to D1 by leaving CA for east coast prep."  about six weeks ago when a  former jk currently at loomis chaffee committed to dartmouth.

new england prep obviously is not a guaranteed path to ncaa d1 hockey. duh. but in the past four years a LOT of families have decided the overall value proposition is better than staying here. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:58:21 PM by Knuckle Puck »

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
CA has just under 40 kids playing D1. That’s means just under 10 kids a year from CA will move to D1.  All of those kids had to play legitimate jrs first(USHL,NAHL,BCHL).  Im guessing a few of the kids went from CA AAA to jrs to D1. My question is if 60-90 kids from 1-2 birth year are leaving CA for hockey where are they ending up when only 4-5 will make D1. And it’s not D3 because only about 20 kids a year from CA make D3.  And some of those are coming from CA AAA.

excellent question actually. the answer is still being written. the number of kids leaving the state didn't really ramp up until about five years ago with the classes of 1999 and 2000. the majority of kids who left for prep school in recent years actually are still there or just graduated a year or two ago. quite a few are playing junior (nahl and bchl), so too early to say whether they make it to ncaa hockey. majority will not, but some will. we'll see. 

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »

its true, the numbers don't lie. here they are: over 150 midget-aged kids socal kids (2000-2003) are playing hockey elsewhere this season.  about 2/3rds of the departed kids are playing at prep schools in new england, canada or the midwest, with the other third playing at aaa clubs. currently a dozen at shattuck.

about two dozen kids in recent years have taken the california-->prep school -->ncaa division 1 route, and are playing right now in division 1 (including boys and girls). approx half of that group attended shattuck. here are some of them: becker, o'donnell, weyrick, gavin nieto, tait, kozlowski, mcmanus, mcelhaney, mehr, demey, lown, johnson, bailey bennett, england, humphrey, cayla barnes (olympic gold medal, too). also are many now playing d3, and over a dozen playing junior who might eventually get to d1 or d3. 

"
just wondering when the last time a CA kid made it to D1 by leaving CA for east coast prep."  about six weeks ago when a  former jk currently at loomis chaffee committed to dartmouth.

new england prep obviously is not a guaranteed path to ncaa d1 hockey. duh. but in the past four years a LOT of families have decided the overall value proposition is better than staying here. 

Of course the JK player identified at the end of your post made a detour through one of the Canadian hockey factories, and plays east coast AAA at a high level in addition to playing for his prep school.  Similar comments could be made about most of your examples (and by the way, Shattuck is not "east coast prep"), but it would take too long.  Like I said, "making D1 by leaving CA for east coast prep" is a fantasy, but but that's not to say east coast prep schools aren't a great choice for lots of other reasons.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 08:40:28 PM »
someone asked for names and numbers. i gave them. here's the college hockey commit list: http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php. anyone can compare commits from prep school to t1elite and decide for themselves who lives in fantasyland. reality is that its really really hard to earn a d1 scholarship regardless of which route your kid takes. cheers.

But they were asking for different numbers than the ones you gave, and different ones from those you are giving here. Everything is what it is, and not another thing. 

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
someone asked for names and numbers. i gave them. here's the college hockey commit list: http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php. anyone can compare commits from prep school to t1elite and decide for themselves who lives in fantasyland. reality is that its really really hard to earn a d1 scholarship regardless of which route your kid takes. cheers.

But they were asking for different numbers than the ones you gave, and different ones from those you are giving here. Everything is what it is, and not another thing.

Prep schools produce far more D1 players than T1Elite. Not sure what you're talking about. Sounds like Jr Kings/Jr Duck Midget propaganda. 
I'm your Huckleberry

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »

Prep schools produce far more D1 players than T1Elite. Not sure what you're talking about. Sounds like Jr Kings/Jr Duck Midget propaganda.

Why would anybody expect to go from T1Elite to D1?  That's just more magical thinking.

If you think the avenues to D1 are moving to new england prep or playing T1Elite, you've really lost the thread.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 08:53:52 AM »
You're being evasive for some reason, acting like prep isn't good route for hockey. Not sure what your argument is at this point. Juniors are good. Prep is good. T1 is okay, but not the path most traveled. Regardless, if you're good, they'll find you. 
I'm your Huckleberry

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
You're being evasive for some reason, acting like prep isn't good route for hockey. Not sure what your argument is at this point. Juniors are good. Prep is good. T1 is okay, but not the path most traveled. Regardless, if you're good, they'll find you.

I don't have an "argument," just data about which paths work and which ones don't.  Lots of good players are never found, but everyone should pursue their dream.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:52 AM »

I don't have an "argument," just data about which paths work and which ones don't.  Lots of good players are never found, but everyone should pursue their dream.

Any movement to then next level after youth goes through Juniors. Which path your player takes prep, AAA, AAA league, AA really does not matter. If your player is good enough for Juniors they will find him or your player will try out and make a Junior team and then he will be found, it is as simple as that...

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
Agreed. Man of Straw is strangely grumpy these days. "Lots of good players are not found?" On what planet? Sure, there's a lot of luck involved in anything, but good is good. The best SoCal talent is obvious... and they move onto other places to get more recognition, better training, and more consistent competition.

But scouts/recruiters are still around through 18U to find ones that fell through the cracks or were late bloomers. Conspiracy theories are just that.
I'm your Huckleberry