This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The CAHA AA Flight system sucks again (2019 Bantam AA Edition)  (Read 101597 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: The CAHA AA Flight system sucks again (2019 Bantam AA Edition)
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
Is it one AA flight for all ages next season?

This really will depend on how many teams actually form at the tryout date in a few weeks.  As there are more AAA teams this season, there may be a trickle down effect where less AA teams form.  The flood of kids out of california continues, so that is also a factor that won't be well understood until tryouts in the next few weeks.

Not sure about Norcal, but you can get an idea of how many teams are likely by looking at the Scaha list, and assuming there might be 2 or 3 Norcal AA teams.  http://www.scaha.com/scaha/viewalltryouts.xhtml

As not all teams have listings, you can go off the individual club websites and come up with a "Declared team" list of something like this:

Ducks1
Ducks2
Kings1
Wave1
Wave2
Reign
Rose City Pats
Jr Gulls
Ice Dogs
Jr Flyers 1
Jr Flyers 2
SDIA
Saints
Bears
OCHC
Empire
GoldRush
GSE1
GSE2
Sharks

If all these teams form, there might be Flighting, but that is a big if.  I'm sure CAHA won't tip their hand until the last minute, but the coaches usually know what's going to happen well in advance, as to whether there's going to be a jamboree or not.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:01:22 AM by lcadad »

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »

This really will depend on how many teams actually form at the tryout date in a few weeks.  As there are more AAA teams this season, there may be a trickle down effect where less AA teams form.  The flood of kids out of california continues, so that is also a factor that won't be well understood until tryouts in the next few weeks.

Not sure about Norcal, but you can get an idea of how many teams are likely by looking at the Scaha list, and assuming there might be 2 or 3 Norcal AA teams.  http://www.scaha.com/scaha/viewalltryouts.xhtml

As not all teams have listings, you can go off the individual club websites and come up with a "Declared team" list of something like this:

Ducks1
Ducks2
Kings1
Wave1
Wave2
Reign
Rose City Pats
Jr Gulls
Ice Dogs
Jr Flyers 1
Jr Flyers 2
SDIA
Saints
Bears
OCHC
Empire
GoldRush
GSE1
GSE2
Sharks

If all these teams form, there might be Flighting, but that is a big if.  I'm sure CAHA won't tip their hand until the last minute, but the coaches usually know what's going to happen well in advance, as to whether there's going to be a jamboree or not.

If I am not mistaken going into last year's season CAHA had cooked up some sort of CAHA weekend preseason format to accomplish flighting that would replace the Jamboree weekend.

disergio

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
I can count a few more team from NorCal:
GSE North
GSE South
Santa Clara Blackhawks
Tri Valley Blue Devils
Jr Sharks AA-1
Jr Sharks AA-2

Last season was a different format due to Covid.
The season before was only one flight. Even there were a lot of AA teams and they played in A division.

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »

Ducks1
Ducks2
Kings1
Wave1
Wave2
Reign
Rose City Pats
Jr Gulls
Ice Dogs
Jr Flyers 1
Jr Flyers 2
SDIA
Saints
Bears
OCHC
Empire
GoldRush
GSE1
GSE2
Sharks

If I am not mistaken going into last year's season CAHA had cooked up some sort of CAHA weekend preseason format to accomplish flighting that would replace the Jamboree weekend.

You are not mistaken.

The AA CAHA format will include 2 portions. August-December which will include all teams. These teams will compete for a spot in the top 12. The top 12 teams will continue onto the CAHA league for the remainder of the season. All other teams will have their CAHA season come to an end. Those teams will become a tournament/scrimmage team.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2021, 06:57:45 AM »

Ducks1
Ducks2
Kings1
Wave1
Wave2
Reign
Rose City Pats
Jr Gulls
Ice Dogs
Jr Flyers 1
Jr Flyers 2
SDIA
Saints
Bears
OCHC
Empire
GoldRush
GSE1
GSE2
Sharks

You are not mistaken.

The AA CAHA format will include 2 portions. August-December which will include all teams. These teams will compete for a spot in the top 12. The top 12 teams will continue onto the CAHA league for the remainder of the season. All other teams will have their CAHA season come to an end. Those teams will become a tournament/scrimmage team.

Someone told me teams that don’t make the top 12 will drop to “A.”  I have a hard time seeing how that is possible mixing in with teams that have presumably started their SCAHA schedule already  :o

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
after successfully wrecking midget hockey in cali, the caha braintrust is now working on bantam. peewees next.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2021, 11:40:11 PM »
after successfully wrecking midget hockey in cali, the caha braintrust is now working on bantam. peewees next.

You have it all wrong.  CAHA is focused on finding a way to reduce the oversubscription of california hockey programs wherever they may be, in much the same way that the great Ebeneezer Scrooge suggested certain people should die and decrease the surplus population.  Once enough kids have fled the California youth hockey scene, there will be more than enough open roster spots, so that all californians can enjoy the perfection of a system where every game ends in a tie borne of penultimate competitive equality. 

In the perfect future, all California AAA teams will boast rosters anointed as future NTDP shoe-ins at 10u, and will never leave the top 5 national rankings, as it was in the olden days of California hockey supremacy.  Those who are not satisfied with their assigned place, will be free to seek out stick time on their way to beer league valhalla. 

The problem is the suckers unsophisticated letter chasing parents who just continue to fail to understand how damaging it is when your son or daughter plays on a team that loses.  It's not CAHA's fault that you don't understand that if your kid was actually good at hockey, they would be on a team that always WINS.  CAHA knows in advance which teams will win and which will lose, so there is really no reason to waste time playing games when we all know the outcome of the season weeks before tryouts even occur.  You are all wasting time and resources that could be better spent by the really good kids kicking ass in Phoenix or Dallas.

Far too many people seem to think that just because they PAY for their kids to play hockey, that means they might want some choice as to what club or coach appeals to them or even just wanting to play for a team that is a practicality for their location.  This is all wrong headed thinking.  All kids peak at 10u.  If your kid isn't dominating 12 year olds by that age, then face the facts --  they will never be good.  Stay in your lane.  Stop joining teams that lose games to other teams that might be better.

Until such time, as all of you idiots keep wanting choice in the marketplace of california youth hockey, CAHA will have no choice but to continue to come up with new and increasingly outlandish systems to punish LOSING HOCKEY and decrease competition accordingly.  Sure this year, they may just unilaterally dump teams from AA to A, but clearly this is a half measure.   After all, Tier 2 isn't a path to Tier 1, or a pragmatic alternative to Tier 1, despite what some of you may mistakenly think it to be, but it in actuality really only exists because some idiot hit the "I" key twice, many years ago, fat fingered the copy and paste into the CAHA rule book, and published the rules before anyone noticed that somewhere between sixteen and twenty teams had formed.  Since they're now stuck with it, you can't blame the CAHA board from trying to have some fun and experiment on kids.

I did manage to get a transcript from the latest CAHA board meeting, and I thought this discussion was interesting:

"Why do we have so many shitty AA teams, I mean, C'mon?  Can't we do something about this travesty?"

"I have a thought.  Perhaps demoting a team to A isn't enough.  Just spit balling here, but what if we came up with a more meaningful -- I don't know, punishment doesn't really capture it, I mean this is youth hockey and the eyes of the world are upon us here..."

"I think we all know where this is going, and it can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned."

"People we discussed this at the last six meetings, and we keep getting stuck on the details of who exactly is going to pay for the branding and maintenance of the branding equipment, as well as the specific terminology to be used."

"But I thought we agreed that 'Losers' was vague and just to open to interpretation, and for that reason, the brand should say 'BAD AT HOCKEY'"

Now I know this might be a concern to you Bantam parents, and perhaps even outrageous that AA demotion might also involve a painful permanent branding of your child, but you can rest easy knowing that this discussion only pertains to how the Bantam system could be adapted to work at the U12 level. 

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »
pay no attention to the 2000 goalie who didn’t even play travel hockey until 13, played for heat and titans, and committed to quinnipiac last week. only jk and jd can develop kids.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:13:55 PM by Knuckle Puck »

vrspartak

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
21 bantam AA teams declared for scaha...CA must have alot of great talent at the bantam level.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »
we may have a few teams with nothing much to do after Nov..

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2021, 03:44:29 PM »
I just read the worst post filled with absolute lies and falsehoods.  I mean, literally saying the opposite of truth and reality in paragraph after paragraph.  That rant had to be sarcasm, right?   :o   Just wow. 

Parents should not be on here spreading such nonsense and misinformation by presenting opinion as fact. 

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »
You're a parent presenting opinion as fact, correct?

vrspartak

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2021, 04:56:54 PM »
Just so I am clear about this year's CAHA plan, after the Nov.12-14 weekend, only 12 teams will be left to play in the CAHA season and playoffs....with the rest relegated to scrimmages and tournaments?  If so, there will be plenty of broken hearts this season, as I'm looking at over 20+ teams at bantams alone (including norcal teams)....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:57:45 PM by vrspartak »

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2021, 12:50:00 PM »
Yes.  I think you are correct.  Back in the day, I think teams had to make their own games at AA and once you played everyone once, and you were not in the hunt.  You ended up only playing in tournaments as there was a crazy point system and if you made it to the top level with points, you would never risk playing anyone again for fear of playing yourselves out of a spot

Hopefully CAHA will provide something for the teams that get the boot in Dec.  This will be an interesting reset year.   Everyone plays everyone once I think, then a line is drawn. 

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
Everyone plays everyone once I think, then a line is drawn.

I don't know how that is possible with 20+ teams