This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The CAHA AA Flight system sucks again (2019 Bantam AA Edition)  (Read 101628 times)

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
Re: The CAHA AA Flight system sucks again (2019 Bantam AA Edition)
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2021, 10:27:28 AM »
Six undefeated teams leaving eval weekend 1...Kings 1 Kings 2 Wave 1 Saints Bears and Flyers 1.

Thoughts?

Many scores were very lopsided.

Overall lopsided competition matchups for some of the teams that went undefeated. Won't start to level out until weekend #2.

Surprised on
Sharks win over GSE (1)
Blackhawks overall competitiveness
Kings (2) wins
Jr. Ice Dogs losses

After the scores - I'm confident that CAHA made the right decision with this experiment. The top 4 of each will separate themselves during the next CAHA weekend. The ones to battle it out for the remaining spots will all be even and is a toss-up of how the 13/14-year-old decides to play that specific weekend.

Not one team this weekend will look anything like they will in December. Some just have more of a gap to narrow.

Good analysis and I agree with it.

• The Shark's win was a surprise.
  • I didn't know much about the Blackhawks and counted them out, but they're a contender.
  • Kings (2) I wasn't too surprised since I've heard they have a lot of talent for an 08 squad.
  • I didn't think the Jr. Ice Dogs losses were a surprise.  Their other team had to drop to A. That A team did look impressive at the A level at first then lost in the finals to the Wave team they beat previously.
My updated top 8 projections:

Pool A: 1) Wave1, 2) Kings1, 3&4)Toss up battle for last 2 slots (Blackhawks, Wave2, Goldrush, GSE2)
Pool B: 1) Flyers 1, 2) GSE 1, 3&4) Close battle between Kings 2 vs. Bears and possibly Saints.

With growth, suspensions, and injuries that could all change.  So far I think this "experiment" is going well and it's been interesting.

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2021, 07:45:04 AM »

I had some free time.  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:37:43 PM by xilven »

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #272 on: September 30, 2021, 01:43:43 PM »
Agree with all of the above.  I think weekend #2 will show who will survive the cut for 2 reasons:
1) match-ups will have evened out after 4 more games obviously.
2) This next weekend could be the nail in the coffin for a lot of teams, especially to the teams who dropped all or most games off the bat on weekend #1.  This is essentially the last weekend to secure a spot as the way I understand it, only game #1 from the 3rd weekend counts towards this qualifying preseason format.  The other 3 games from this 3rd weekend are inter-bracket games that will not have a bearing on preseason standings.

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »
Interesting outcomes from this weekend in some games and most spots for the top 4 are locked up. 

Bracket 1 sees Wave 1, Kings 1, Goldrush and GSE 2 all advancing as the top 4 teams.  Pats and OCHC are out. 

Bracket 2 has Flyers 1, Kings 2 and GSE 1 locked in and the Bears/ Saints will be shooting for the last spot depending on the outcome of each of their first games in Valencia in 2 weeks.  As luck would have it, they play each other at the first game in Valencia.  Ducks 2 and Reign are bounced.

All of the remaining teams (Blackhawks, Ducks 1, Wave 2, Flyers 2, Sharks, Gulls, Ice Dogs and the loser of the Bears/ Saints game) will have to duke it out in November for the final weekend to secure the last 4 spots.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:35:38 PM by JagrBomb »

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2021, 09:35:03 PM »
Interesting outcomes but nothing too unexpected. Previous guesses have been fairly accurate. The battle for the remaining spots is going to be exciting. I do wish more of the games in weekend #3 had seeding implications.

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2021, 11:51:19 AM »
I heard it's going to be a double elimination tourney for the last 4 slots.  It should be interesting.  I'm guessing they'll be seeded for this tourney base on where they land after CAHA week 3.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
I heard it's going to be a double elimination tourney for the last 4 slots.  It should be interesting.  I'm guessing they'll be seeded for this tourney base on where they land after CAHA week 3.

Like the normal playdowns?  Win 2 or lose 2 and you are done?

glorifieduberdriver

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
Newbie on the site. Thanks for providing a place for additional info and insights into California youth hockey. 

This preseason "tournament" feels way better than having an evaluation weekend and then human discussions about putting teams into flights.  It has made for some spirited games because there's something meaningful to play for.  The only down side is that some teams might be done with their season before they were given a chance to improve. 

Maybe for the future, keep this same tournament format but to decide the flights (not to decide who's CAHA season ends before it started.)  In any case, it's a fun time. Can't wait to see the next CAHA weekend results.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:08:06 PM by glorifieduberdriver »

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #278 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »
Newbie on the site. Thanks for providing a place for additional info and insights into California youth hockey. 

This preseason "tournament" feels way better than having an evaluation weekend and then human discussions about putting teams into flights.  It has made for some spirited games because there's something meaningful to play for.  The only down side is that some teams might be done with their season before they were given a chance to improve. 

Maybe for the future, keep this same tournament format but to decide the flights (not to decide who's CAHA season ends before it started.)  In any case, it's a fun time. Can't wait to see the next CAHA weekend results.
The CAHA season would be over, however, the hockey season shod not be. If teams were serious about development they would continue to work with the kids on the teams and have a develop plans and path forward through the remainder of the season. This should including playing teams they are competitive with locally and planning some tournaments.

Will SCAHA/NorCal work with these teams to schedule?

There are, without a doubt, kids with individual AA or AAA skill on teams that do not end in the AA CAHA league. It'll be interesting to see drops/signings that happen as part of this.

If you're with a club that doesn't make it and that club doesn't provide a development path moving forward I'd stay clear from them in the future.

Looking forward to see the do-or-die tournament style play-in.

Midgeteh

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:56 PM »
I know we all poke fun at CAHA but...

I think this system works much better than an eval weekend.  Let teams play 9 full games and work out the bugs.  Maybe add a flight II for the teams that do not make top 12. 

I know SCAHA is going to schedule scrimmages for those who do not make the cut, not sure about NorCal.

Anyone want to pick top 12 in order after weekend 4?

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2021, 07:58:12 AM »
I know we all poke fun at CAHA but...

I think this system works much better than an eval weekend.  Let teams play 9 full games and work out the bugs.  Maybe add a flight II for the teams that do not make top 12. 

I know SCAHA is going to schedule scrimmages for those who do not make the cut, not sure about NorCal.

Anyone want to pick top 12 in order after weekend 4?

I agree, I would like to see the kids/ teams that don't make it not get punished and be able to play some type of meaningful hockey.

Since the top 4 teams from each bracket are done with the preseason after the Valencia weekend, the records will be skewed, but I think AA will look something like:

Wave 1
Flyers 1
Kings 1
GSE 1
Kings 2
GSE 2
Goldrush
Bears
Saints
Sharks
Blackhawks
Wave 2

dmbfan32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »
JagrBomb's assessment seems pretty close to what I would think. I would probably just change out the Sharks with Ducks 1. I think the Kings1/Wave 1 bracket was a little more competitive. Plus, Ducks 1 really depends on if they can score. They have one of the lowest goals against for the two weekends but have had some trouble finding the net. In a prior SCAHA game, they beat Goldrush 5-0 and they hung in there with Wave1 last weekend and lost 2-0. So definitely inconsistent. Got a feeling the lower teams on the Kings2/Flyers 1 side will lose to the other bracket teams except for the Bears.

The upcoming Silver Sticks Vegas tournament should give a little more insight since it will have Kings 1, Flyers 1 and 2, Ducks 1, and SD Saints.

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2021, 11:44:55 AM »
I agree with what you stated dmbfan, but I'm still siding with Jagr's picks having Jr. Sharks edge out Jr. Ducks 1.  This double-elimination tourney should be an exciting one since any team could have a great or off game.  This is a "make it or break it" event, so everyone should be bringing their A-game.

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2021, 10:47:45 AM »
Hmm..  Based on the seeding and how I think it's going to go, it looks like dmbfan32 might be right with Ducks 1 edging out the Jr. Sharks.  Their seed schedule looks to be harder.

KNRFMLY

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2021, 09:49:55 AM »
Here is the seeding for the top 8 teams based on the two conferences:

Conference 1
Wave 1
Jr. Kings 1
Goldrush
GSE 2

Conference 2
Flyers 1
GSE 1
Jr. Kings 2
Saints