This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The CAHA AA Flight system sucks again (2019 Bantam AA Edition)  (Read 101705 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: The CAHA AA Flight system sucks again (2019 Bantam AA Edition)
« Reply #300 on: November 16, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »
So ... 9 of 12 teams are from SoCal, but you are going to have 2 of 3 CAHA weekends in NorCal + States in Norcal?  🤑

dmbfan32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2021, 10:08:50 AM »

Pretty much what this forum projected.  I think it would have worked out better for the Jr. Sharks if they lost that first game to Jr. Ducks 1.   Jr. Ducks 1 took that route to making the CAHA cut.  Hopefully, the lower ranks improve to make it a competitive season.

Aside from Flyers 1 (clearly the best team), Kings 1 and Wave 1, all of the other teams are roughly equal. Guess now the biggest question will be who will get that 4th spot in the finals. I would probably give a slight nod to GSE but all of these teams have shown to be inconsistent at times. Ducks1 finally found the net but blew a 4-0 lead vs the Sharks in their first game and lost in the shootout, Wave2 just did not look like themselves vs the Ice Dogs but did well in their remaining games, Blackhawks played well but even they had a scare early on vs the Gulls and went down 3-0 to start their game, etc. The one thing you can count on for 13 and 14 yr olds = consistently inconsistent.

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #302 on: November 17, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »

Pretty much what this forum projected.  I think it would have worked out better for the Jr. Sharks if they lost that first game to Jr. Ducks 1.   Jr. Ducks 1 took that route to making the CAHA cut.  Hopefully, the lower ranks improve to make it a competitive season.

Aside from Flyers 1 (clearly the best team), Kings 1 and Wave 1, all of the other teams are roughly equal. Guess now the biggest question will be who will get that 4th spot in the finals. I would probably give a slight nod to GSE but all of these teams have shown to be inconsistent at times. Ducks1 finally found the net but blew a 4-0 lead vs the Sharks in their first game and lost in the shootout, Wave2 just did not look like themselves vs the Ice Dogs but did well in their remaining games, Blackhawks played well but even they had a scare early on vs the Gulls and went down 3-0 to start their game, etc. The one thing you can count on for 13 and 14 yr olds = consistently inconsistent.

Pretty accurate assessment IMO and I was going to post something similar about the Sharks also.  The results might have been better for them if they lost that first game.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2021, 09:48:32 AM »
With only 4 teams advsncing to next round makes it tough for lower level  still not peaked teams advance.  Really, 3 lost games and your pretty much out.  Like plsydown format, always a few surprises. Let the games begin !! VERY small margin for error  !!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:52:41 AM by trans4761 »

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2021, 01:19:55 PM »
With only 4 teams advsncing to next round makes it tough for lower level  still not peaked teams advance.  Really, 3 lost games and your pretty much out.  Like plsydown format, always a few surprises. Let the games begin !! VERY small margin for error  !!

Seems like it ended up being a trade off of more play-in opportunity to sort out bottom bubble teams and less opportunity for solid but maybe 2nd tier teams to play-in to States

Not sure why they couldn't keep both.

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #305 on: December 01, 2021, 04:24:44 PM »
Awfully quiet here lately.  Clean slate with the regular season kicking off this Friday.  With only 11 games to advance from here, any takers for season-ending top 4? Lots of injuries this year affecting multiple, if not all teams, and some "upsets" during this preseason play could make for an interesting outcome.

Flyers 1, Wave 1 and Kings 1 all seem to be a solid top 3 IMO still.  Toss up for the 4th spot, thinking either GSE team, Bears, Kings 2?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:54:44 PM by JagrBomb »

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2021, 12:57:26 PM »
The top 3 you have appear to be pretty solid.  I'm not clear on the injuries, so I'm not sure if any of them would be impacted by that.  My 4th spot would be Kings 2 or GSE 1.  Do you have any darkhorse pick or would that 4th spot be it?  We might have a better indication after this weekend's CAHA.  Best of luck to all the teams.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2021, 02:18:22 PM »
The top 3 you have appear to be pretty solid.  I'm not clear on the injuries, so I'm not sure if any of them would be impacted by that.  My 4th spot would be Kings 2 or GSE 1.  Do you have any darkhorse pick or would that 4th spot be it?  We might have a better indication after this weekend's CAHA.  Best of luck to all the teams.
Like JK2 for the 4th spot.  BUT they are 08 and a bit on the small side.  That and that GSE has nor cal home ice advantage ( not that the refs are partial...cough...cough) will make ir difficult

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2021, 02:23:25 PM »
WRATH OF CAHN LIVES !!!!

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2021, 04:28:52 PM »
That and that GSE has nor cal home ice advantage ( not that the refs are partial...cough...cough) will make ir difficult

The scheduling is pretty bad when you compare across all 4 AA age groups for the CAHA weekends.  I get that it comes down to which rinks put bids to host in, but come on...
12U - 2 of the 12 teams are NorCal but not 1 of their 3 league weekends is up north with Riverside, Riverside and Valencia penciled in.  SoCal teams lucked out for sure.  ???
14U - 3 of the 12 teams are NorCal, yet 3 of the 4 weekends (if you count States) are up north with Vacaville, Valencia, San Jose and then Vacaville (States) all schedule.  SoCal got screwed here.  >:(
16U - 2 of the 12 teams are NorCal.  They drew Irvine, Anaheim, Vacaville and then Vacaville (States).  ::)
18U - 4 of the 12 teams are NorCal but they drew no Norcal regular season weekends with the schedule showing Anaheim, Irvine and then Vacaville (States).  :o

CAHA needs to do better here.  Why not balance this out a bit more between the divisions? 1 NorCal trip in the reg season per age group instead of 12U getting none and 14U getting 2. Hell, swap Vacaville with Irvine and send 18U up to Vacaville once in the reg season and use Irvine for States.  The vast majority of teams are from down here anyways.

dmbfan32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #310 on: December 04, 2021, 05:05:10 AM »
Looks to be a little more even competition after day 1 with some unexpected wins & a tie. Here were the resukts;

Bears tied Flyers1
JrDucks 1 beat Kings1
Blackhawks beat Kings2
Saints over Wave2
GSE1 beat GSE2
Wave1 beat Goldrush

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2021, 08:38:15 AM »
Lots of interesting outcomes and results for sure.  When you look across all games comparatively, some don't make sense but I guess that is 13-14 year old hockey for ya.  With over a third of the season now completed, some teams are sitting pretty already with other having major holes to try and dig out of.

Wave 1 - 7 pts
Kings 1 - 6 pts
Bears - 6 pts
Flyers 1 - 5 pts
GSE 1 - 5 pts
Goldrush - 5 pts
Saints - 4 pts
Ducks 1 - 3 pts
GSE 2 - 3 pts
Blackhawks - 2 pts
Kings 2 - 2 pts
Wave 2 - 0 pts

xilven

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2021, 10:30:05 AM »
That and that GSE has nor cal home ice advantage ( not that the refs are partial...cough...cough) will make ir difficult

The scheduling is pretty bad when you compare across all 4 AA age groups for the CAHA weekends.  I get that it comes down to which rinks put bids to host in, but come on...
12U - 2 of the 12 teams are NorCal but not 1 of their 3 league weekends is up north with Riverside, Riverside and Valencia penciled in.  SoCal teams lucked out for sure.  ???
14U - 3 of the 12 teams are NorCal, yet 3 of the 4 weekends (if you count States) are up north with Vacaville, Valencia, San Jose and then Vacaville (States) all schedule.  SoCal got screwed here.  >:(
16U - 2 of the 12 teams are NorCal.  They drew Irvine, Anaheim, Vacaville and then Vacaville (States).  ::)
18U - 4 of the 12 teams are NorCal but they drew no Norcal regular season weekends with the schedule showing Anaheim, Irvine and then Vacaville (States).  :o

CAHA needs to do better here.  Why not balance this out a bit more between the divisions? 1 NorCal trip in the reg season per age group instead of 12U getting none and 14U getting 2. Hell, swap Vacaville with Irvine and send 18U up to Vacaville once in the reg season and use Irvine for States.  The vast majority of teams are from down here anyways.

There should really be a minimum standard also with the rinks.  The Vacaville one is in disarray with glass that's broken, cloudy/dirty, and covered in holiday paintings. 

Triple Crown

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
Completely agree, inside 4 minutes of the game, there were piles of ice around the blue lines impacting the puck the entire game

dmbfan32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
The ice conditions were horrendous. How they have games of importance at this rink is laughable; especially considering the fees we pay for CAHA.

The Mason Rink (I believe) had ice so thick that you could not even see a blue crease near the nets and not much of the dasher was visible above the ice. And the nets on that rink came off with any little push or contact with the goalies. I saw at least 3 goals disallowed in different games since the net was off. And with just 2 officials, they were not looking for that until after it was too late. And then to hear that the finals will be in Vacaville......ridiculous. They need a much better venue with preferably 3 officials per game. The ref shortage was very apparent this past weekend.