This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: CAHA's biased leadership and AAA sham PART II  (Read 65087 times)

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
Re: CAHA's biased leadership and AAA sham PART II
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »
“You REALLY are good at slanting stuff to make yourself feel good about your opinion and convincing yourself there really is no other opinion or idea worth discussing aren't you? Enjoy it....I hope my kid ages out before your in house kids are handed their "participation awards" and allowed the "opportunity" to play wherever they feel they want to”

Those are your words. The system might be thought to be implied, but it is not mentioned in the post. I’ll be kind. Clarity is something you can work on as is coherence. I can see you are not good at adapting to new information or the point of views of others. Perhaps it is something you should master before joining in a discussion of peers.

Bliss and twinkies.

Listen, this was a back and forth over several pages...you are pulling a "your" out of context in such an exchange that in no way meant his kid--it even says "kids". Enough...this is stupid and a waste of time for all involved.

I REALLY do hope we all get some sort of improvement for ALL of our kids in the coming few years. I don't completely agree with you and Bender, but I agree with some of your observations and the fact that they need to be worked on. For the kids sake, I hope it does.

I am out...peace to you and have a good one...

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
You know… I’m beginning to wonder if the problem with Tier hockey in California doesn’t start in NorCal?

For whatever reason, CAHA is situated in NorCal.  A majority of the Board of Directors live in NorCal.  And the Progressive Resistance on CalHockey (Mac/Gas/Race) is from NorCal.

However… this weekend, the Tier I NorCal representative (Jr Sharks) for 11UAAA, 12UAAA,  and 13UAAA will descend upon SoCal for the State Finals, merely qualifying because, you know, there aren’t any other teams.  But it will be a miracle if the Jr Sharks win one game combined, let alone give up less than a half dozen goals in every game.

At Tier II, it’s actually worse.  While decently competitive throughout the year, not one NorCal team advanced to the State Finals for 12U or 14U.  Not one.

Yet, CAHA is run out of NorCal and a majority of the Board of Directors live in NorCal.  Stepping back, I can certainly now see why CAHA and the Progressive Resistance view AAA hockey as a barren wasteland void of talent, clutching their pearls in terror at the mere thought of more competition.

But, you know… that’s not the case down south.  From Bakersfield to Tijuana, we have more talent than highway interchanges.

For the record, it’s my opinion that clubs shouldn’t have to pass a CAHA vote to get a AAA team.  That opens the door to too much bias and shadiness.  Like AA, if a club can check the boxes for prerequisites, then they should be eligible.  That seems fair to me.
I'm your Huckleberry

PutYourFootOnTheGas

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-18
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »
You know… I’m beginning to wonder if the problem with Tier hockey in California doesn’t start in NorCal?

For whatever reason, CAHA is situated in NorCal.  A majority of the Board of Directors live in NorCal.  And the Progressive Resistance on CalHockey (Mac/Gas/Race) is from NorCal.

However… this weekend, the Tier I NorCal representative (Jr Sharks) for 11UAAA, 12UAAA,  and 13UAAA will descend upon SoCal for the State Finals, merely qualifying because, you know, there aren’t any other teams.  But it will be a miracle if the Jr Sharks win one game combined, let alone give up less than a half dozen goals in every game.

At Tier II, it’s actually worse.  While decently competitive throughout the year, not one NorCal team advanced to the State Finals for 12U or 14U.  Not one.

Yet, CAHA is run out of NorCal and a majority of the Board of Directors live in NorCal.  Stepping back, I can certainly now see why CAHA and the Progressive Resistance view AAA hockey as a barren wasteland void of talent, clutching their pearls in terror at the mere thought of more competition.

But, you know… that’s not the case down south.  From Bakersfield to Tijuana, we have more talent than highway interchanges.

For the record, it’s my opinion that clubs shouldn’t have to pass a CAHA vote to get a AAA team.  That opens the door to too much bias and shadiness.  Like AA, if a club can check the boxes for prerequisites, then they should be eligible.  That seems fair to me.

I'm not even a WWE fan but The Rock's words keep coming to mind. . . . ."Know Your Role and Shut Your Mouth!" Lol.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »
Yes, we're quite familiar with the CAHA slogan.  All too familiar actually... 

CAHA: Know Your Role and Shut Your Mouth.

It has a nice ring to it. You should make shirts for your fellow cohorts for next year's Tier II Jamboree.
I'm your Huckleberry

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:52 PM »
Jack-I usually agree with you, but when it comes to the Tier results... this is just one year. Norcal has been very competitive in previous years, especially at Tier II.
People need to start voicing their concerns and questions directly to CAHA. This is a great channel for developing ideas, accumulating information, and hearing different voices, but I doubt board members read much of it. Better yet - folks outside of the club management need to start running for Board positions.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
As the old saying goes: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

3 Years ago (the 2016 AA season aka, the season with no CAHA weekends experiment), the Wave(2) got caught in PWAA cooking their sheets to meet minimum players and for this reason, OC got a playoff berth from 9th place. 

GSE 1& 2 that year were considered to be elite teams and given their records had won the majority of their games boasting robust goal differentials.  Everyone expected GSE2, considered by many to be the stronger of the 2 teams, to wipe up 9th place OC.  Only, it didn't go that way, as OC upset them 4-3.  GSE rebounded with a 10-3 drubbing of Ducks2 (Huh, how can this happen that in the playdowns a team wins by 7 goals, something must be DONE!!!!!)
Then in the final game, they got bounced by the Wave in an elimination game.  Sorry, no states for you, GSE2.

Well, then spring rolls around, low and behold we get the 1st cut of the Flighting system, including a bizarre stipulation that the 1st place Flight1 team would get an automatic bye through playdowns and automatic entry into States.  WTF?

There was a hue and cry, and that rule got axed, but questions have always remained as to who came up with that ridiculous rule in the first place, and what was their reasoning and agenda?   The paranoid amongst the hockey community wondered aloud if it might have come from an organization that had just suffered an embarrassing and surprising upset?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:55:45 PM by lcadad »

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Kicksave... I was being sarcastic.  GSE is a great idea and a terrific program... and it's my opinion they should be striving to do more.  I don't think NorCal is as much of a mess as I might suggest, I just think the Jr Sharks could be a better run club.

Ideally, following the USA Hockey guidelines recently posted... CAHA should strive to have 2-3 AAA teams in NorCal.  Having one for every birth year might be too ambitious from year to year, but I certainly think striving for AAA at PW Major, Bantam Major, 16U and 18U are plausible. 

Jr Sharks and GSE could do this.  And if some other club were able to gather enough talent and wanted to try... then they should be able to as well.

As for SoCal, CAHA should strive to have 4-6 AAA teams.  Again, every birth year might be too ambitious from year to year, but I also think striving for AAA at PW Major, Bantam Major, 16U and 18U (these two divisions are especially important) are plausible.  There can be prerequisites to fulfill, but teams would NOT have to be voted upon by the CAHA Board of Directors to qualify.  There should be a AAA program in the Valley (Bears/Heat/Flyers/Titans?), San Diego (Gulls/Saints?), and somewhere between El Segundo and Anaheim (Ice Dogs/Wave/Red Wings?).  All these clubs have supported AAA hockey in the past.

In attempting to wrangle Tier I hockey three years ago, I think CAHA simply went too far in one direction.  They should course correct and attempt to make AAA more appealing and manageable for more kids on a statewide basis.  If there were more teams and more competition at the older divisions especially (16U/18U), I don't think as many kids would be looking to leave the state starting in Bantam.  This concept worked well in the past, and it can work again with adjustments.

AA hockey is great.  It requires less travel, less money and the teams are very competitive.  However, it's hard to get seen on a national level (no one scouts AA), and even for the best teams, it's hard to get into AAA tournaments.  AAA teams simply don't want to play AA teams.  They don't think they're good, and they don't want to risk losing to them.  So if CAHA really wants to help kids move on from California and play at the next level... they should be taking this all into consideration moving forward.
I'm your Huckleberry

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:58 PM »
Ahhhh we agree again

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:23 AM »
This might be a case that sets a precedent.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/hockeys-surge-popularity-pushes-sports-gatekeepers-court

Who knows... there might be hope for more AAA teams yet. 

Justabdad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
Darn URL blocking...

Just Google: Illinois lawsuit against AAA hockey.

This case might set a precedent.  Who knows...

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
That's interesting.  Anti-trust lawsuit.  To summarize, one of the Illinois clubs is suing the Illinois CAHA equivalent for suppressing AAA and allowing 4 teams to monopolize the market.  It even made the Chicago Tribune. 

Here are the fixed links:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/hockeys-surge-popularity-pushes-sports-gatekeepers-court

https://www.courthousenews.com/illinois-hockey-org-accused-of-antitrust-conspiracy/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-youth-hockey-lawsuit-20190227-story.html
I'm your Huckleberry