This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Junior Futures / Prospect Camps  (Read 19974 times)

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
Re: Junior Futures / Prospect Camps
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »
I enjoyed your post, Thanks Brad.  I've made some mistakes.  I am going to make some course corrections.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
It's a great question, and the flippant responses don't well reflect the actual struggle parents find themselves in. These are hard choices.

Most organizations (teams) will try to convince you to go to no camps apart from their camps. There is a (valid) concern on their parts that hockey is too expensive, and they all have experience with parents complaining about that, and in some cases going way overboard, spending too much money on camps, and just funding a false dream. They also all realize (whether conciously or not) that a dollar spent on someone else's camp is not a dollar spent on theirs.

I see two 'camps' as 'above and beyond' the rest for Californians. The California WHL prospects combine, and the USHL national combine (in Chicago). Both are high value, with excellent competition, plenty of games, and good lectures. They will do the complete on and off ice combine, and you will get a readout of how your player did on each event and whether they were above or below average. Good information. Bring a camera and video them and others going through the combine events as a coaching tool for later. They are also both scouted by people that actually matter. I do know of players that have been drafted right out of the WHL camp, and I'm sure it happens occasionally with the USHL combine, but of course that's not what usually happens - the scouts have a list of people they are going to watch. Set your expectations accordingly.

You will be told they are invite only. Neither of them is. Though both start by inviting 'known' players (I'm guessing largely based on who attended in any way the year before, and some scouting input), in both cases you can submit information on your player online and you may or may not get an invite. My guess - if you are a AAA player on a reputable team, there is a good chance that you will get an invite. Anything else, and I don't know. Nobody is going to tell you how many kids are pre-invited versus submitting. Of course it will also depend on openings. They are big camps - the USHL camp in particular will have 12-16 teams at any year. The competition is STIFF - there are no bad players. If your kid is playing AA because they could not make a AAA team for any reason (speed, athleticism, hockey sense), they will likely be overwhelmed, and the money will not be well spent.

If you do go to those camps, you will then be absolutely flooded with invitations to other camps (most USHL teams, some BCHL teams, many others). We get probably 30+ invites a year. I have no experience with them specifically, but if you are interested in a particular team, it may be ok, particularly if the travel is not too bad (like, if you had another reason to actually be in a city apart from a camp, why not?). Note that USHL teams are mostly midwest, and BCHL teams are in BC of course, so it's not cheap.

Beyond that, I would look VERY carefully at the content of any camp. Don't worry about scouts and exposure. They don't really matter at these other camps. But the camps can be useful for experience. How many ice hours? Are they doing combine style measurements? Are there good presenters from well known teams or programs? It can be an incredible experience for your player to attend the right camp, and if in their draft years they plan on going to the combines, having attended a combine previously will definitely give them a leg up in terms of performing well. There are definitely 'tricks' to doing well in the tests.

Beyond the major combines, I would bias my camp selection to skill/training camps versus showcases. Look in Canada in particular, as they can be very reasonably priced, but it depends somewhat on how much time you have. There is also nothing wrong with 'treating' your player at the end of the season to a fun weekend where they get to feel like a bit of a 'big shot'. IF THEY WANT TO. Don't force it.

We were very interested in one camp this year at a college my son is interested in, but when we looked at it, it was for 2006-2004's. In one camp. That's nuts. I wouldn't even let a 2006 on the ice with 2004's for safety reasons, and 2006 way too early for a camp that advertised itself as an exposure camp. That's a joke.

But regardless, don't go overboard. One camp, that has good development or experience potential? Ok. Two camps? Pushing it. Anything more and you have to ask if you should be spending the money on on or off ice training instead.

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
It's a great question, and the flippant responses don't well reflect the actual struggle parents find themselves in. These are hard choices.

Most organizations (teams) will try to convince you to go to no camps apart from their camps. There is a (valid) concern on their parts that hockey is too expensive, and they all have experience with parents complaining about that, and in some cases going way overboard, spending too much money on camps, and just funding a false dream. They also all realize (whether conciously or not) that a dollar spent on someone else's camp is not a dollar spent on theirs.

I see two 'camps' as 'above and beyond' the rest for Californians. The California WHL prospects combine, and the USHL national combine (in Chicago). Both are high value, with excellent competition, plenty of games, and good lectures. They will do the complete on and off ice combine, and you will get a readout of how your player did on each event and whether they were above or below average. Good information. Bring a camera and video them and others going through the combine events as a coaching tool for later. They are also both scouted by people that actually matter. I do know of players that have been drafted right out of the WHL camp, and I'm sure it happens occasionally with the USHL combine, but of course that's not what usually happens - the scouts have a list of people they are going to watch. Set your expectations accordingly.

You will be told they are invite only. Neither of them is. Though both start by inviting 'known' players (I'm guessing largely based on who attended in any way the year before, and some scouting input), in both cases you can submit information on your player online and you may or may not get an invite. My guess - if you are a AAA player on a reputable team, there is a good chance that you will get an invite. Anything else, and I don't know. Nobody is going to tell you how many kids are pre-invited versus submitting. Of course it will also depend on openings. They are big camps - the USHL camp in particular will have 12-16 teams at any year. The competition is STIFF - there are no bad players. If your kid is playing AA because they could not make a AAA team for any reason (speed, athleticism, hockey sense), they will likely be overwhelmed, and the money will not be well spent.

If you do go to those camps, you will then be absolutely flooded with invitations to other camps (most USHL teams, some BCHL teams, many others). We get probably 30+ invites a year. I have no experience with them specifically, but if you are interested in a particular team, it may be ok, particularly if the travel is not too bad (like, if you had another reason to actually be in a city apart from a camp, why not?). Note that USHL teams are mostly midwest, and BCHL teams are in BC of course, so it's not cheap.

Beyond that, I would look VERY carefully at the content of any camp. Don't worry about scouts and exposure. They don't really matter at these other camps. But the camps can be useful for experience. How many ice hours? Are they doing combine style measurements? Are there good presenters from well known teams or programs? It can be an incredible experience for your player to attend the right camp, and if in their draft years they plan on going to the combines, having attended a combine previously will definitely give them a leg up in terms of performing well. There are definitely 'tricks' to doing well in the tests.

Beyond the major combines, I would bias my camp selection to skill/training camps versus showcases. Look in Canada in particular, as they can be very reasonably priced, but it depends somewhat on how much time you have. There is also nothing wrong with 'treating' your player at the end of the season to a fun weekend where they get to feel like a bit of a 'big shot'. IF THEY WANT TO. Don't force it.

We were very interested in one camp this year at a college my son is interested in, but when we looked at it, it was for 2006-2004's. In one camp. That's nuts. I wouldn't even let a 2006 on the ice with 2004's for safety reasons, and 2006 way too early for a camp that advertised itself as an exposure camp. That's a joke.

But regardless, don't go overboard. One camp, that has good development or experience potential? Ok. Two camps? Pushing it. Anything more and you have to ask if you should be spending the money on on or off ice training instead.

...spot on....