This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: jk suspends 3 coaches, 15 players for anti-semitic video  (Read 26538 times)

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
Re: jk suspends 3 coaches, 15 players for anti-semitic video
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »
It is truly a shame...at this age there are no teenage boys that are innocent of saying stupid things. If ANY team would be recorded and publicized then I am sure that at one point or another they would all be suspended.

However there seems to be more to this than what is being said and from my understanding the JK group is not being allowed to even defend themselves.

Truly a life lesson.

One should not cast stones while standing in a glass house.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:58:35 AM by InDZone »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
Lots of things went wrong there, although 14 year olds lacking in common sense and maturity should not be a surprise to anyone who has had a teenager under their roof. 

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »
I have a hard time believing the entire team was complicit, but it’s a good lesson about guilt by association.

Hockeycamper

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »
From what I understand per the article in The Athletic, the team was already on probation stemming from an early infraction violating social media policy (unclear if it was the clubs policy or USA Hockey).  Either way the team and coaches apparently were reminded and educated on proper social media behavior.  This was not the first time members of this team had been making poor decisions.  My question is where are the parents in all of this?  Yes, teenagers can do some pretty stupid and short sighted antics, but after the first issue you would think that everyone, including the parents would be extra cautious.  I hope we can all learn from this: adults need to supervise groups of teens, talk to them about hate speech, the dangers of social media and what it means to be guilty by association.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »

It is truly a shame...at this age there are no teenage boys that are innocent of saying stupid things. If ANY team would be recorded and publicized then I am sure that at one point or another they would all be suspended.

However there seems to be more to this than what is being said and from my understanding the JK group is not being allowed to even defend themselves.

Truly a life lesson.

Not sure what you mean, InDZone. What’s been reported is that JK took absolutely no action for three weeks before finally imposing “suspensions”  — after letting the players finish out their season with no consequences. CAHA still hasn’t done anything. It remains to be seen whether there will be any actual discipline.

It looks like the JK decided to impose these “post-season suspensions” (whatever that means) only after reporters started sniffing around and their affiliated NHL club became embarrassed abiut the bad publicity. Everyone talks a big game about “zero tolerance” for this kind of thing, but the reality is still usually “boys will be boys.”  The only life lesson here (apart from “it’s good to be a King”) is don’t be a hypocrite. Eventually somebody will call you on it, and then ... your feelings might get hurt.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-players-coaches-suspended-nazi-salute-20190401-story.html

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/nation/l-a-jr-kings-coaches-players-suspended-after-reported-anti/article_8e49a56b-2c08-507c-b74f-b8b269d53d90.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jewishjournal.com/news/los_angeles/296167/l-a-junior-hockey-team-suspended-for-anti-semitic-video/amp/

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 06:00:27 PM by Strawman »

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 06:14:13 PM »

Strawman while I agree with what you mostly say you cannot say that any locker room or any group of teenage boys do not say or do stupid things. Unless somehow you ended up with a perfect locker room.Many times they are not known of because they are not always displayed on social media.

While I understand that you have an "issue" with the Kings the fact that 15 kids were suspended till further evaluation seems a bit much since it seems to be that only a few of them said anything on the video.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I do hope that what is fair and just takes place.

Hypocrisy comes in many forms...whether its right in your face or you turn and run away from reality.

Truly a life lesson.

Not sure what you mean, InDZone. What’s been reported is that JK took absolutely no action for three weeks before finally imposing “suspensions”  — after letting the players finish out their season with no consequences. CAHA still hasn’t done anything. It remains to be seen whether there will be any actual discipline.

It looks like the JK decided to impose these “post-season suspensions” (whatever that means) only after reporters started sniffing around and their affiliated NHL club became embarrassed abiut the bad publicity. Everyone talks a big game about “zero tolerance” for this kind of thing, but the reality is still usually “boys will be boys.”  The only life lesson here (apart from “it’s good to be a King”) is don’t be a hypocrite. Eventually somebody will call you on it, and then ... your feelings might get hurt.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-players-coaches-suspended-nazi-salute-20190401-story.html

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/nation/l-a-jr-kings-coaches-players-suspended-after-reported-anti/article_8e49a56b-2c08-507c-b74f-b8b269d53d90.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jewishjournal.com/news/los_angeles/296167/l-a-junior-hockey-team-suspended-for-anti-semitic-video/amp/

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
My comment about hypocrisy wasn’t aimed at you, InDZone, and I’m sorry if it came across that way. I don’t dispute that everyone does things they regret. But we learned what’s right because the adults in our lives showed us that there are consequences for doing stupid things, and this whole situation just smacks of a bunch of adults praying it would all just go away before they had to do anything about it. Now they’re panicking by belatedly handing out random “suspensions,” which aren’t really suspensions at all, to limit the PR fallout from their having done nothing.  I fault the adults and the organization here at least as much as the kids, for failing to set a good example by just doing the right thing at the outset. You know you’ve taken a wrong turn somewhere when the Simon Wiesenthal center publicly condemns you.

We hear so much talk nowadays about “zero tolerance” for certain things, especially from CAHA and the big clubs, but usually it’s all hat and no cattle.

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
Nazi salutes and anti-Semitic statements are not normal locker room stupidity, and shouldn’t be minimized or excused as such.  This is the second high profile incident like this in SoCal in the past couple months.  Clearly, there are a lot of parents that didn’t recognize a teachable moment then, and probably still don’t.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
I am not condoning this behavior but, the "Nazi Salute" was the Roman Salute before the Nazi's adopted it.  The Roman were way worse than the Nazi's regarding human rights violations.  I have not seen the video but, maybe they were acting like Romans which still warrants corrective action.

These types of things and way worse happened in midwest high school football locker rooms.  Everyone was not a snowflake back then also, the media was not using things like this to divide the population. The major news organizations are using the stupidity of 14 year old boys as propaganda to further their agenda. The boys simply need to be thought that this is not acceptable behavior which comes from the parents.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
Whenever someone starts by saying “I’m not condoning Nazism but ...,” you know that what follows is going to be really special.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
Whenever someone starts by saying “I’m not condoning Nazism but ...,” you know that what follows is going to be really special.

It is for the snowflakes

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »
You don’t have to be a snowflake to take issue with minimizing fascism and anti-semitism.  And nothing destroys a team like racial, religious etc hatred.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »
You don’t have to be a snowflake to take issue with minimizing fascism and anti-semitism.  And nothing destroys a team like racial, religious etc hatred.

See, this is the problem with discussing this.  It is a no win situation as there is no way for someone to prove or disprove that they are prejudice against race, religion, etc.  The guilt by association of the boys who were innocent by standards is not right.