This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What Bantam AA Teams for 2019-2020?  (Read 170907 times)

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
Re: What Bantam AA Teams for 2019-2020?
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »
Is there any truth that some current California AA teams are either beating or at least competitive with California AAA teams at the bantam level? If this is the case I am not sure why AAA parents would be surprised by the skill level, toughness, or competitiveness of AA kids.

Most AAA parents literally never watch a AA game after their little McDavid turns 10 and becomes one of the anointed, so it's inconceivable to them that there could be any good AA players. That said, every year there’s talk among AA parents about this or that AA team “really” being a AAA team and the hype is rarely true. The last one I can remember that was a legit AAA team was Bears 03.

Guess rarely is every other year because Bears(1) beat Ducks 06AAA 8-2 two weeks ago and then beat Ducks 05AAA 4-2 this past weekend. Oh, and they're not even the best AA team in the state as the Saints tied Bears(1) at the Jamboree 2-2 and then beat them in the first preseason game 4-1. Both teams are loaded with AAA talent and will make a serious run at Nationals.
Another factor in addition to the talent on the BNAA Bears I and Saints is the high quality of the coaching.    Like their players, the coaches are as good or better than their AAA counterparts.

Forget if they should, could either the bears or saints meet the CAHA requirements for a AAA team? I dont think so. Regarding the Ducks losing to Bears1...have you seen the Bears1 roster? How many AAA kids are now on that team? Plus, the Ducks AAA lost a ton of kids...and their best players. So, why is that score surprising? Saints have been together for years - have great coaching and a plan to get their kids exposure. These 2 teams are the exception, not the rule when comparing AAA to AA.

Would be curious to see how many kids of people on here who bash AAA actually played AAA...or even are currently playing AAA. As a parent of a kid who actually did play AAA for a year, then didnt make the team. I can tell you the biggest difference is how serious all of the kids / parents take it compared to AA. In California hockey is stupid - way too expensive, way too much driving...I am fine with both if my son is getting the most out of his experience and is taking it serious. I am not interested in play time with his buddies, if that is what he wants then he can go play in the shithole rink 50 minutes closer to home. Is AAA perfect - hell no, ton of issues. But at least 99% of the parents are on the same page about the commitment vs AA where its 50% if you are lucky. 

It all goes back to do what is best or your kids (AAA, AA, A, B, tennis) and f*ck what anyone else thinks.

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
Wow!  Many Broad Brush Strokes in that post!  I am sure you will receive many replies on all that you touched on.  Commitment level is important.  Not all AA teams are alike.  One of my sons teams allows 1 excused absence per month.  That's it.  Miss any more than that and there will be consequences.  The other has been problematic.  I can certainly appreciate all the other team mates buying in on a high commit level.  If one is spending AAA cash, then I would hope the commitment, at the very least, is higher.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
Wow!  Many Broad Brush Strokes in that post!  I am sure you will receive many replies on all that you touched on.  Commitment level is important.  Not all AA teams are alike.  One of my sons teams allows 1 excused absence per month.  That's it.  Miss any more than that and there will be consequences.  The other has been problematic.  I can certainly appreciate all the other team mates buying in on a high commit level.  If one is spending AAA cash, then I would hope the commitment, at the very least, is higher.

Let me add the "from my own experience" disclaimer.

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
Anyone know of a local tournament hosting Bantam AA for Thanksgiving?

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
Is there any truth that some current California AA teams are either beating or at least competitive with California AAA teams at the bantam level? If this is the case I am not sure why AAA parents would be surprised by the skill level, toughness, or competitiveness of AA kids.

Most AAA parents literally never watch a AA game after their little McDavid turns 10 and becomes one of the anointed, so it's inconceivable to them that there could be any good AA players. That said, every year there’s talk among AA parents about this or that AA team “really” being a AAA team and the hype is rarely true. The last one I can remember that was a legit AAA team was Bears 03.

Guess rarely is every other year because Bears(1) beat Ducks 06AAA 8-2 two weeks ago and then beat Ducks 05AAA 4-2 this past weekend. Oh, and they're not even the best AA team in the state as the Saints tied Bears(1) at the Jamboree 2-2 and then beat them in the first preseason game 4-1. Both teams are loaded with AAA talent and will make a serious run at Nationals.

Let's see how those CA AA teams fare at AAA tournaments outside California.  And before anyone's head explodes, I'm not criticizing the Bears.  They do a great job every year of giving AAA caliber kids an alternative path for escaping the AAA industrial complex here in California and pursuing opportunities elsewhere.

Major year AA teams have always been able to beat up on minor year AAA teams.  That happens every year and wasn't my point.  And I personally don't consider Ducks 06 as proof of anything except the willingness of many parents to pay for the extra A.  But if that's your data set then you are self-evidently right that AA > AAA.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:43:25 AM by Strawman »

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »
I am not talking about one observation.  I am talking about several observations, as in a trend.  I don't have an issue with checking at all.  It is the consistency with which ckecking is done not to take the puck at all and if a check can be administered with the opposition in a vulnerable position, then all the more it seems to be done.  The AA player you mentioned probably plays high school hockey too.
Agree Fowlmood on the issue of consistency with which checking is done and called by officials.  In the incident I referred to, the player delivery the check plays for a top AA team and has had well deserved offers to play at prep schools and does not play high school hockey.   

My son who has opted out of CAHA does play D-1 high school as a 9th grader and went through the last two AA seasons with just 2 minutes in penalties each season.   He used to get a lot more penalties and used to check when it was inappropriate.   Somewhat to my dismay, when checking is legal he has become more of a finesse player.   It reflects his evolving maturity in other areas of life; hurting someone intentionally is bad.   He may become the "hurtee" not the "hurter".

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
......or maybe it's that now, they can hit back ? :P

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »
......or maybe it's that now, they can hit back ? :P
Good line.  It gave me an honest laugh.  But no, that is not the reason.   He has the size and strength to take a hit and deliver one.   

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »

Let's see how those CA AA teams fare at AAA tournaments outside California.  And before anyone's head explodes, I'm not criticizing the Bears.  They do a great job every year of giving AAA caliber kids an alternative path for escaping the AAA industrial complex here in California and pursuing opportunities elsewhere.

Major year AA teams have always been able to beat up on minor year AAA teams.  That happens every year and wasn't my point.  And I personally don't consider Ducks 06 as proof of anything except the willingness of many parents to pay for the extra A.  But if that's your data set then you are self-evidently right that AA > AAA.

Bears beat Ducks 05. You seem to have skipped over that detail. Your point was "every year there's talk among AA parents about this or that AA team "really" being a AAA team and the hype is rarely true. The last one I can remember that was a legit AAA team was Bears 03."

We'll see how they do against the rest of the country, but if they're already beating Bantam Major AAA teams, it ain't hype.
I'm your Huckleberry

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
The Ducks 05 is a little thin to use as an example.  Many left the team after last year.  Bad example.
Bears took AAA players from the 06 Ducks.  Some 06 Ducks are arguably more talented than the 05's.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »
The Ducks 05 is a little thin to use as an example.  Many left the team after last year.  Bad example.
Bears took AAA players from the 06 Ducks.  Some 06 Ducks are arguably more talented than the 05's.

Well put.  If the claim is that there are AA teams in California that can win games against some team at some age level that calls itself a AAA team then that is irrefutably true, and it is true every year.  And if it makes people feel good to remind themselves of that fact, then far be it from me to rain on their parade. 

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »
You flippantly said AA teams are rarely as good as their hype, Bears 03 being the exception.  I pointed out that a AA team already beat a AAA Major team.  But you keep redefining your qualifications for a AAA team.

If you haven't watched Bears(1) and the Saints play, you shouldn't be so dismissive. And don't be surprised if they beat the Kings 05 and Sharks 05 as well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:48:09 PM by JackBender »
I'm your Huckleberry

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »
Agree Jack Bender.   I have seen them play in the Spring along with Kings 1.   Kings would be right there, too, except they lost their coach who had the ability to push his players to play at a peak level.   My money would be on the Saints who have maybe a little more talented roster but if Bears and Saints go to Nationals, luck of the draw will be critical as the '04 Bears learned.   Both coaches have an ability to teach creativity in play and that alone separates them from nearly all others.  It is not just about winning but winning with style and creativity, which means with player development.   

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2019, 07:23:47 PM »
You flippantly said AA teams are rarely as good as their hype, Bears 03 being the exception.  I pointed out that a AA team already beat a AAA Major team.  But you keep redefining your qualifications for a AAA team.

If you haven't watched Bears(1) and the Saints play, you shouldn't be so dismissive. And don't be surprised if they beat the Kings 05 and Sharks 05 as well.

Bender, unlike you I couldn’t care less about the particular teams as I have no dog in the fight, but I envy your enthusiasm. I wish the Bears and Saints the best of luck and I hope they all live the dream. I also truly hope there are loads of future NHL stars among them no matter how much I doubt it. I was merely making a comment about the annual “AA is better than AAA” debate, which is the same every year and always without substance, and the lack of perspective that I have seen (and continue to see every year) from parents on both sides of the divide.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
Strawman, I have to give you credit.  You certainly live up to your chosen Handle on the forum.

I don't remember ever seeing a single post where anyone made the claim that AA is better than AAA.  Where are all the people making that claim?

What many people have said, is that there are numerous players in AA who could play AAA if they so chose.  The same could be said for A players playing AA.

This isn't conjecture, it's fact.  Just looking at the teams my kid played on in the last 2 seasons, he has 4 former teammates who are now playing AAA.  They are all talented players, but none of them were generally considered to be the best player on the team nor were any of the 4 statistically the top scorers.   

In my opinion, the CAHA system has artificially limited AAA opportunity, so there are likely more players who would be playing AAA in other markets, that are playing AA in California.  One of the reasons I've been hearing recently for the level of churn in the Ducks is the move to Irvine that has made it untenable for some families who can't justify the commute.  This reinforces the simple fact that in a state as large as California, with only 3 teams, there are going to be many families who just can't get to one of the 3 AAA rinks. 

This isn't a knock against the quality or capabilities of kids playing AAA. 

As for Bantam AA this year, the writing was on the wall in the spring when the Saints got to the finals of the AAA division and as I recall were beaten by a Patriots team comprised of AAA Ducks and Kings only after a coming behind late in the 3rd.   The Bears is pretty much a new team this season, but the Saints played AAA tournaments last year after CAHA ended and beat a number of mid level AAA teams in the process.   It also says something about the level of AA, that this same Saints team, was put in Flight2 last year, and were tied or beaten by other Flight2 teams, which says a lot about the Flighting process in terms of teams that have been denied a chance to play in Flight1 in the 2 years of flighting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:13:21 PM by lcadad »