This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What Bantam AA Teams for 2019-2020?  (Read 167781 times)

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
Re: What Bantam AA Teams for 2019-2020?
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »
i imagine it will be difficult to build a consistent aaa program as long as every year a club must beg "permission" from caha to continue the program, and such permission may be withheld at a whim by a committee comprised of employees of competing clubs. the process is ludicrous. anointing jd and jk as the only clubs worthy of aaa was ludicrous. the arrogance has driven the majority of the best talent out of the state.

this discussion completely lacks any historical perspective regarding aaa in socal over the past 10-15 years. jd didn't even have aaa until 2012, when it bought ochc; jk was the second banana to lahc, which it took over in that same year. just before those mergers, there were five other clubs in socal that offered aaa, most of which had a history of moving kids to juniors and college, and success at nationals that neither the jd or jk have yet to match. how is it that these two clubs are now the only ones left? because they (and sharks) controlled the caha board, changed the rules to their own competitive advantage, while pushing a fable that there is room for only two aaa teams to justify kneecapping the other clubs. before the mergers, there were more aaa teams, having more success, from a pool of 40% fewer kids. fact.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:04:57 PM by Knuckle Puck »

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »

If you are playing in AA and want to keep going you will need to make the jump to AAA. U15 is where they get drafted and invites to camps. U-16 is also important, By U18 its too late.

Good post but I question that U18 is too late. There was a local player drafted in a early round of the NAHL draft last year that played U18 AAA. I think a lot of to comes down to what the player wants to get out of it. 
I've seen parents and players slow play it for a variety of reasons.
There are different paths, I believe Jonathan Blum played one year of AAA and then left Southern California. 

Sometimes a player is nationally noticed at 14-15 and is written off by age 16. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:09:26 AM by Hockey05 »

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2019, 06:14:40 AM »
So...any actual Bantam AA stuff going on?  Anyone other than Dogs at a tournament this weekend?

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »

If you are playing in AA and want to keep going you will need to make the jump to AAA. U15 is where they get drafted and invites to camps. U-16 is also important, By U18 its too late.

Good post but I question that U18 is too late. There was a local player drafted in a early round of the NAHL draft last year that played U18 AAA. I think a lot of to comes down to what the player wants to get out of it. 
There are different paths, I believe Jonathan Blum played one year of AAA and then left Southern California. 

Kids who are born in the first 4 months of the year make up the majority of 12U-15U AAA teams.  It starts to level out at 16 where the kids with late birth months are not as handicapped by being younger. Hammacher has a good perspective on this as he was one of the yearly birth month kids and one of the anointed ones but, his kids were/are latter birth month kids. 18U AAA has its place for these talented kids that are "late bloomers"

Very few kids are 16 on a USHL or NAHL team.  Nobody really scouts 15U, 16U is the most predominate path to the next level, then 18U. You can argue that 15U prepare them for 16U but, 15U is mostly a money grab.  A lot of maturation (testosterone) happens between 15 and 16.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »

Kids who are born in the first 4 months of the year make up the majority of 12U-15U AAA teams.  It starts to level out at 16 where the kids with late birth months are not as handicapped by being younger. Hammacher has a good perspective on this as he was one of the yearly birth month kids and one of the anointed ones but, his kids were/are latter birth month kids. 18U AAA has its place for these talented kids that are "late bloomers"

Very few kids are 16 on a USHL or NAHL team.  Nobody really scouts 15U, 16U is the most predominate path to the next level, then 18U. You can argue that 15U prepare them for 16U but, 15U is mostly a money grab.  A lot of maturation (testosterone) happens between 15 and 16.

Agree except with the point about lack of scouting at 15U.  True in California but top 15U AAA teams are well-scouted in the NE. 

(I also don't know where the idea comes from that it's "too late" at 18U.  Significant numbers of players continue to be drafted at that level, though again not in California.)

DEFENDERS

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »
Let's get back to the Bantam AA Team talk boys and girls. 8)

DEFENDERS

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »

CCM Denver - 2005 AA/AAA

Ice Dogs 0 and 2????

Ice Dogs, CA 2 - 4 Arvada, CO
Hyland Hills Jaguars, CO 4 - 1 Ice Dogs, CA

GSE 0 and 1????

Golden State Elite, CA 1 - 4 DU Jr. Pioneers, CO

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
IcaDad, a few of questions.  First, exactly how deep do you think AA is in AAA quality players and AAA quality teams? Second, what in your view is an AAA quality player and team? Third, what is the harm and who is being harmed by what you see as the artificially imposed scarcity of AAA

For all of the animus towards CAHA and frustrations with flighting, the system seems to be producing teams capable of producing teams capable of competing as elite teams on the national level, producing players capable of and making nationally recognized teams, and shown some willingness to expand AAA past the Big 3.

The AA system is not designed for stability.  AAA is, because it's a birth year system.  Coaches essentially make a decision each year as to the kids they want to take, and not surprisingly, if you can have a team that is primarily major year players, you tend to have better results.  So what you tend to get at the regional clubs is a team that has a mix of major/minor year players.   With all the focus on flighting, a coach is incentivized to take a major year player over a minor year player to boost the overall competitiveness of the team. 

I've said a bunch of times, that if they just made AA a scaled down version of AAA, you would have a lot more migration up and down, and it would be easier to have apples to apples comparisons.  Depending on the year, you probably have anywhere from 2-3 or as many as 5-8 players on a AA team that could in the right circumstances be playing AAA.   

It's clear to everyone other than a few delusional individuals that AAA is a commitment to travel and expense that many families can't afford or are unwilling to entertain, so that fact, compounded by the limitations to AAA opportunities means that California AA has a higher number of kids who could play AAA than most other locales. 

As for damages, if the system was healthy you wouldn't see an exodus of kids out of state in order to pursue their development goals and seek exposure to the higher levels of hockey competition. 

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the Gulls and GSE were both approved to have AAA 05 over the past few years.  Neither felt they ended up with enough talent to field a team.
I cannot speak to the GSE decision but my son participated in the Gulls '05 AAA clinics.

The GSE 04 AAA attempt had multiple 05's on the proposed roster. That was the only way they could collect enough players that were arguably at the AAA level.  It would have been a very poor team, they were given approval, and they themselves pulled out of it.

There are on average 10 AA teams for every AAA team in the USA. Just look at myhockeyrankings and count. Norcal does not have enough AAA talent to support an additional AAA team. Two AAA teams for Socal seems to at least follow that ratio. I wish it were not the case, as more competition would be great for all the clubs. But it's just math.

rmackintosh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2019, 09:07:13 AM »
If I am not mistaken, the Gulls and GSE were both approved to have AAA 05 over the past few years.  Neither felt they ended up with enough talent to field a team.
I cannot speak to the GSE decision but my son participated in the Gulls '05 AAA clinics.

The GSE 04 AAA attempt had multiple 05's on the proposed roster. That was the only way they could collect enough players that were arguably at the AAA level.  It would have been a very poor team, they were given approval, and they themselves pulled out of it.

I don't know about a GSE North team being a "very poor team" that year...they are strong year in and year out...they finished a strong 4th in AA Flight 1 despite losing a kid or two to AAA and NOT combining the stronger AAA 05 kids who would have improved the team. That said, it would have likely finished in 4th place in AAA in CAHA...but been in some games. If you think there should be MORE AAA teams in CAHA that team would have surely fit in with your philosophy of more opportunity...

As far as why the team was not formed....lack of interest was more the reason. Most parents on that team were not interested in the greater travel and commitment of AAA. That killed any momentum of forming a team...

TopCornzzz

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-9
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2019, 06:55:20 PM »
CAHA has outdone themselves....they have taken their level of ignorance, stupidity, and incompetence to new record highs while putting kids at risk of injury at the same time!!

CAHA IS SCHEDULING Bantam AA games on KHS RINK B!!!   

Can't make it up!!

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »
CAHA has outdone themselves....they have taken their level of ignorance, stupidity, and incompetence to new record highs while putting kids at risk of injury at the same time!!

Can't make it up!!

they’ve done this for years...

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »

Can't make it up!!

they’ve done this for years...

My kid's major bantam AA year we played 3 caha games on B.  Its rediculous.  Nothing higher than squirts should play there.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »

Can't make it up!!

Rink C is the small rink at KHS, Rink B is NHL sized or very close to it. Probably bigger than the old Boston Garden (and colder too)

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2019, 09:57:10 PM »

Can't make it up!!

Rink C is the small rink at KHS, Rink B is NHL sized or very close to it. Probably bigger than the old Boston Garden (and colder too)

No. No it’s not. There are only two sheets at KHS, you are probably thinking of Lakewood. Figure it out.