This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Squirts 2019-2020  (Read 38781 times)

MiteyMom

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
Re: Squirts 2019-2020
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
Thank you!

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
From what I understand - Coach decides, Club then agrees or disagrees with coach(ultimately gets the final say) and submits to SCAHA.  SCAHA expects the coach and club to be realistic at the Squirt level.   

I believe this process changes and SCAHA gets involved at the peewee AA level, then they start making decisions.

SCAHA gets involved in A/BB/B   CAHA handles Tier AAA/AA

Coaches and clubs have a say but the Parents can also have a big say because if a team moves levels (up or down) all players are released and must be resigned at the new level.  It only takes a few key kids to bail and it can all fall apart.  I think that is part of the reason not as many teams move down as maybe should

MiteyMom

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »
From what I understand - Coach decides, Club then agrees or disagrees with coach(ultimately gets the final say) and submits to SCAHA.  SCAHA expects the coach and club to be realistic at the Squirt level.   

I believe this process changes and SCAHA gets involved at the peewee AA level, then they start making decisions.

SCAHA gets involved in A/BB/B   CAHA handles Tier AAA/AA

Coaches and clubs have a say but the Parents can also have a big say because if a team moves levels (up or down) all players are released and must be resigned at the new level.  It only takes a few key kids to bail and it can all fall apart.  I think that is part of the reason not as many teams move down as maybe should

Thank you!
*figuring out how to post on here. :)

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
Congratulations to the OCHC Squirt B team for winning the Silver Stick Pacific District US Regional in San Jose. Good luck in Canada!

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »
Stick taps to the OCHC team for going a combined 9-1-1 in tournament play and taking 3rd place and being the last American team standing in Tier 1 play at Silver Stick.  They were the top seed of their pool with no losses in pool play of the International Finals in Pelham, Ontario. After a great win in the quarter finals they were knocked out in the semis.
Great showing for California hockey in Canada!

MiteyMom

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
Does anyone know how many teams qualify for the sacha playoffs?

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 01:27:18 PM »
Does anyone know how many teams qualify for the sacha playoffs?

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 09:06:46 AM »
Nothing too exciting out of the squirt thread.  Everyone is losing their minds in the PeeWee and Bantam thread and nothing crazy at this age group?  I guess if you don't have an older kid you don't know about this board yet.  lol

Any cool spring programs out there?  What's the buzz?   

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 12:57:13 PM »
Nothing too exciting out of the squirt thread.  Everyone is losing their minds in the PeeWee and Bantam thread and nothing crazy at this age group?  I guess if you don't have an older kid you don't know about this board yet.  lol

Squirt is the last sane year you'll participate in.  The CAHA Tier (AAA, AA) system is insane. 

Over the last 5 years or so I've noticed a transition from club spring programs to independent programs.  I think this has to do with the fact that most of the coaches want to make some money if they are coaching spring, so they are loathe to work for a club and the typical pay share they might get. The exceptions are where there is a coach who is essentially the owner/operator of the club.  Some examples:

CA Patriots (Lots of Kings and Ducks coaches & players)
Angry Eskimos  (Wave & Other kids)
Maxwell Hockey Camp.

The best thing you could do is have your kid play another sport in the spring (baseball, lax, tennis, swimming etc) and talk to the other parents about their plans.  Get some realistic guidance from your coach(es) about your kid's strengths and weaknesses.   10-11 year olds don't have a high tolerance for an NHL style off season.  Things have to be fun for them, or you risk burning em out and turning them off from the sport.  There are some in house leagues that can keep your kid on the ice, while still making it enjoyable for them.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:43 PM »

Wait till you get to Midgets, where the board is dead because everyone has either quit or left the state.  Enjoy the peace while you can!