This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: THA looking strong going into 4th year!!!  (Read 16545 times)

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
THA looking strong going into 4th year!!!
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »
Cant wait to watch this program play this year. Alot of talent on the prep team this year and the exposure this program is bringing these boys. Good luck to all of the THA players, coaches and Faculty.

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
Re: THA looking strong going into 4th year!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »
THA doing this right. So proud that my kid was part of this program for 3 years..

http://naphl.com/news/story.cfm?id=27361&fbclid=IwAR0L0MuZezun-EZknXN-h1Hc6cVhW2KwMVofTu4FQcb7FZhlm9OpcQabjbw

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Looking Strong!!??

TeamGPWLOTWOTLPTSGFGADIFFSODivision
Orange Lutheran
7-0-0-0-0
Capistrano Coyotes
4-2-0-0-0
Pacific Ridge
5-2-0-0-0
Santa Margarita
6-2-0-0-0
Saint Mary's
4-4-1-1-0
JSerra
2-5-1-0-0
Bellarmine
1-5-2-0-0
Tahoe Prep
1-5-0-0-0

PutYourFootOnTheGas

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-18
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »
I don’t think that’s their top team. Sadly their top prep team is having an even harder time at 1-17-1 according to myhockey.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »
Very few kids seem to be staying at THA.  Of the 4 that I know of that went there in the last 2 years, all 4 left after a year or less. 

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »
the kool-aid has spoiled...

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »
I would like to see them succeed, and keep west coast options open for kids to stay in or near CA.  But with all of ADHSL especially D2/D3 in San Diego schools, I see the levels decreasing.  This season the league just re-booted a lot of D3 teams to D2 and threw La Jolla into D1, which lasted half the season then dropped them back to D2.  It seems to be the trend, and I predict an increase in 16/18 AA and decrease in ADHSL numbers over the next couple years.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:36:49 PM by Maverick »

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
I believe a lot of these D2 schools were put there due to the number of AA/AAA kids on the team. However, these kids usually prioritize AA/AAA instead of HS and rarely are these teams full strength. D2 seems to be between A and AA. D1 seems to be around AA, some are between AA and AAA.  It is much more laid back than club and really more fun.  I do not expect AA to grow. 18 AA kids are probably not playing the next level so why not go the cheaper and less stressful route.

ohnonotagain

• Mite
  • LR Justice +16/-5
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »
I don’t think that’s their top team. Sadly their top prep team is having an even harder time at 1-17-1 according to myhockey.

I know a couple of parents of THA players, and from what they say their kids play on both teams and that the ADHSHL team is mostly players pulled in from their prep team.  Which I guess makes it worse that it means their prep team is last in ADHSHL.

I wonder if they would be better off if they set up in San Diego which was their original plan instead of Tahoe.

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »
Hi. I’ll chime in here. My son plays on the prep team as well as the varsity team.
I’ll keep this short and to the point.
When we decided on THA it was strictly a decision on where he could Play and develop the most.
And it was an easy answer. Tahoe won out in all categories. On the ice 5 days a week for about 2 hours a day and in the gym for an hour.
There’s plenty of places you could go and win
We went to play specifically on the prep team and to be on the ice daily
( he benefits from varsity play as well)
The prep is mostly 03s playing 18u
Most coaches (and scouts ) will tell you that it’s about development and most importantly grades
And the school and where they live is amazing

Tahoe is a great choice and we are glad we’re there

What’s our record???
I don’t care 🤷🏽‍♂️😃
My kids at 35 games at this point and is a better player and a better kid from the experience

Sorry this was long 😂😆

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
I’ll add a bit more here. Teams like Capo and SM and olu.... these kids have all played together
In one way or another for years and most have taken private’s from the coaches for years as well. Tahoe is mostly all newer kids ( kids that haven’t played together ever) that’s especially true on their Prep team and I’m pretty sure it’s true for varsity as well.
Believe it or not, Losing isn’t as bad as you might think. Most players have played on teams with losing records. When you’re winning it can hide a lot of little things. Losing exposes everything and gives kids a chance to work through adversity which actually makes kids ( and us ) stronger.
What’s the end goal
I ask my son this all the time
He says juniors and college
Well, if that’s the case, then you need to develop. Work out more. Get more sleep. Play against better teams.... I’ll repeat that. Play against better teams and Get bigger faster and stronger. All of what i just stated, he’s done because of the prep school environment and the coaching.
( he’s 6’1 180 and is currently at a 4.0 gpa and has traveled East a lot)
I guarantee he’s not be at a 4.0 if he was on so cal playing on the jr ducks or kings
Last year w the 15u AAA ducks he missed over 20 days of school
Tahoe is brick and mortar. Meaning they live there. Not with. A billet family.
Living amongst your teammates is great when you’re young. They feed them there and the facility is top notch. The coaches making these kids better men and they do a lot of volunteering as well.

I’ll also add that we have had quite a few scouts watching and speaking with the coaches about boys and the way they are holding their own against top 18 year old teams.

It’s easy to look at wins and losses and say it’s awful by there’s a lot more to life then being on a winning team.
Hockey teaches kids a lot of life skills and if the kids are willing, they will become better players and more importantly, mature young  men

School and grades first
And play where you are getting better
That’s what you should be asking yourself when considering a team and coach.
✌🏼

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
Hearty stick taps to you Orangecone! My son is there this year and it's been a bit of a roller coaster for me. He's had better seasons that's for sure. But he's sticking it out and actually embracing the adversity. He's a better person than I am. Tahoe is still a new program and there are plenty of issues to work out. Orangecone does a great job of pointing out many advantages. This is our second (and final) year and then it's onwards and upwards. If we knew then what we know now, I think we would do it all over again :)

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
Let’s be real... we ALL want to win. Nobody says “ um... ( cough) id like to lose a bunch of games so i can dig deep and be challenged to overcome adversity)
But we have to accept what it is.
Great coaching
Great school
Prep league and a East coast tier 1 league
And Training

I can’t speak for every one there but i know my kids a lot better skill wise
His grade are good. He’s learning to work hard and not get discouraged

Paul Kariya played on a new team his first year away from home
They won like 2 or 3 games. That year and had similar results the following year

He said those two seasons were monumental in his development. He didn’t care so much about wins and losses. He was playing where he was getting a lot of ice time and was getting better
He dominated at Maine and won the mvp  for college hockey.
Btw... he struggled his first year w team Canada
His first few seasons w the ducks were a joke
And he went on to be very successful. He’s now in the HOF

He’s also the one that told me that wins and losses don’t matter as much as grades and development

Question

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
Does THA now have a school? I thought the players did the NCAA approved online program. What do you think of the THA teachers? I agree that it should be education first. The benefit of a traditional school like JSerra or OLu is the quality of the teachers. Online school programs are not a good match for all students.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
Last year w the 15u AAA ducks he missed over 20 days of school
Tahoe is brick and mortar. Meaning they live there. Not with. A billet family.
Living amongst your teammates is great when you’re young. They feed them there and the facility is top notch. The coaches making these kids better men and they do a lot of volunteering as well.

I’ll also add that we have had quite a few scouts watching and speaking with the coaches about boys and the way they are holding their own against top 18 year old teams.

That’s what you should be asking yourself when considering a team and coach.

You make a lot of very valid points, and have the experience with california AAA to back up your points.  I think these same factors explain why so many kids with aspirations to try and play higher level hockey are leaving california.  Not all AAA teams miss 20 days of school, but that's the reality for california AAA.  With that said, Tahoe has to compete with other hockey Academies and at least be capable of beating the lower level high school teams in the league or people are not going to take them seriously.    They will be measured in time by the kids like your son, and their trajectory.  I certainly wish you and your son all the best with his journey.