This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: 2019/20 Tier II Preseason Evaluation: aka Another giant waste of SoCal money  (Read 38160 times)

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
It is supposed to be released two weeks prior, so next Friday, I think.

Clue12345

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
Really?? That’s crazy and inconsiderate! They need to give us more time to plan. Stop wasting our money!

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Really?? That’s crazy and inconsiderate! They need to give us more time to plan. Stop wasting our money!

You can ask teams last year about the extra games they scheduled after the initial schedule was played.  I remember that they made Kings1 and Empire both play an extra game.  Empire had lost 2 of their top players to injuries that kept them out of the lineup for a month, and still CAHA made them play a 5th game!  What was also wonderful about the whole thing is that you don't even know what the scores of the games are, as they don't publish them.  If you know enough people you can find out scores through word of mouth, but the whole thing is absurd.  They keep pushing this agenda that a lot of people don't want, in violation of their own statements when they created the system.  They had ample evidence that there were about 15-16 teams that should have been in Flight 1 last year, and for that reason they shouldn't have Flighted it, but they went ahead and did it anyways.  AGAIN they had a Flight2 team win the play-in game.  Just nonsense and a screwed up season for 8-10 teams from Flight 1 & 2 who weren't good enough to beat the top 3 or 4 teams in Flight 1, but otherwise were all pretty evenly matched and would have experienced close competitive games. 

The Flight1 7-9 teams had 2 wins each and on the last day of the last CAHA weekend were playing for 8th place.  I'm sure that wasn't an enjoyable season for any of them.  Meanwhile you had Flight2 with 4 teams, that all beat each other once, all had 38+ goal differentials, and in some cases had played games within a goal or 2 of eventual Flight 1 teams. 

Now this is just from my recollection but last year here's something that happened:

Flyers lost to JK2 3-2   (Also was Flyers 1st game/scrimmage/whatever of the season.)
JK2 beat Bears 2 1-0
Flyers beat JK1 3-2

Also, just as a reminder --- it was a um, 40 minute running time "exhibition!"

So what happens?  Before the weekend was even up, Bears2 had been told they were in Flight1.  Flyers and JK1 were put in Flight 2.

This is the Jamboree evaluation system at work.  It's a joke. It's political and everything else you can imagine.  They will over value a GSE team and place them into Flight1 when they are marginal.  They will screw over some club with no clout like empire, the wave or the flyers.  Last season they forced down the Wave team (who to be fair were a marginal team) yet they left OCHC2 in AA.  Even after OCHC2 picked up some of the wave players, the combined team went 0-16 in Flight2 with a -114 goal differential. 

But, it's ok if they screw over Flight2, because it's all about Flight1 right?

Records / Goal Differential for Flight 1 bottom 4 teams last season:

#6 (7- 11 -1)    -20
#7 (3 - 13 - 0)  -40
#8 (3 - 13 - 0)  -50
#9 (2 - 14 - 1) - 43

This is not an anomoly.  You can look at both years of Flighting from 12u - 18u, as well as looking at division after division and you see the same patterns emerge.  There will be teams at the top middle and bottom and your relative competitiveness is reflected in your goal differential.  Often there are 2-4 teams that beat 95% of the rest of the division, often by large margins.

Sadly, way too many people I've talked to still have the delusional belief that this system is better than what came before it, and results in more high quality games, when the numbers show that is a joke.  You can do more to weed out the occasional team that has no business playing in a division they don't belong in, but they haven't been good at even doing that.  In the process what they've done to a large number of legitimate AA teams in the last 2 seasons is criminal.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:43:11 PM by lcadad »

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
I'm a fan of the Flight system, but not a fan of the Jamboree. I'd rather play a tournament with real games over Labor Day. Someone had a great idea of a few local tournments with the evaluators attending these, great idea!
As a Flight 1 parent, you want your boys to be playing competitive games. The top five teams in Flight 1 were the best teams in 14U AA and they should be playing each other more than once per season.
There were 2-3 teams in Flight 1 and 2 that could have been flip flopped, but the results would have been the same. I personally think Kings 1 got screwed, if you have two teams on the bubble, the older bigger team should get the Flight 1 nod. Kings 2 making Flight 1 looked totally political to me and I wouldn't doubt the Jr Kings had a say in which team got the nod.
Flight 2 parents will always complain, and Flight 1 parents will be happy that their Sundays and CAHA weekends aren't a waste of time.
Last thing, the Jamboree isn't about scores, it doesn't matter if you tied or lost by one goal, if you beat a team by 2 goals and another team lost to the same team by 4. The evaluators are watching the games for skill level.
And I hope 16U AA gets flighted this year.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
I can save a lot of people money and time.  Let the teams declare what they want.  If they do not win a league game, their program cannot have a AA team for two years.  The ENTIRE PROGRAM.  Apply this rule and watch the declarations slowly become more reasonable.  It would take a couple of years to sink in, but what coach wants to lose his tier program by declaring something far above the kids' ability?
If it works, port the idea to A teams and AAA teams with modifications to make it reasonably accommodating of the level.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
No other state does anything quite like the evaluation jamboree. It all happens just two weeks after the official start of practices. A fun weekend, a nice getaway, a re-connection with now old friends, but as far as hockey development goes, the event is an utter waste of time and money. The jamboree is an obstacle to the goals of most serious players, coaches and teams. 

There will be a flighting and if you go back two pages, we already pretty much determined what teams are in flight 2. 

See you all in San Jose to watch run time games shrouded in secrecy with perhaps evaluators showing up or not to be found. Politics, sure you bet, we are all watching.