This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Enforcement of checking rules  (Read 15436 times)

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
Re: Enforcement of checking rules
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »
State emblem.....the chonch.
Look it up

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »
"Players typically do not accelerate, but they ALWAYS "drive excessively with no intent to play the puck" on 99 out of 100 body checks.  (Yet you all condone this effort and believe it is good hockey seen at higher levels back East)."

Not an accurate reflection of what I see "back East."  I see more calls back East on players who hit with no intent to play the puck than I do here (and maybe as a result I see less gong-show hockey back East).  But I also see a lot less calls back East on players who deliver clean, hard hits (as a result of which the game is way tougher physically than here).  IMHO the real problem is that we don't do a good job in CA of teaching our kids that hard hitting is a legit tool in their arsenal, and what the right and wrong ways of doing it are.  The refs are largely to blame for that because most of them have never played at a high level themselves.

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
State emblem.....the chonch.
Look it up

Pre-game meal?   :o

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »
"Players typically do not accelerate, but they ALWAYS "drive excessively with no intent to play the puck" on 99 out of 100 body checks.  (Yet you all condone this effort and believe it is good hockey seen at higher levels back East)."

Not an accurate reflection of what I see "back East."  I see more calls back East on players who hit with no intent to play the puck than I do here (and maybe as a result I see less gong-show hockey back East).  But I also see a lot less calls back East on players who deliver clean, hard hits (as a result of which the game is way tougher physically than here).  IMHO the real problem is that we don't do a good job in CA of teaching our kids that hard hitting is a legit tool in their arsenal, and what the right and wrong ways of doing it are.  The refs are largely to blame for that because most of them have never played at a high level themselves.

Most of the refs here have never played any level of hockey.  Most of them can not skate adequately to keep up with the level of hockey they are trying to ref.  It's not their fault that this is the situation, but what has SCAHA or CAHA done to try and entice experienced hockey players to become referees?  There is no tradition for it here, so I understand the problem, but SCAHA and CAHA are in complete denial that there is a problem with the reffing.  Year after year when they ask the coaches at the USA Hockey level 4 training, what's one of the biggest issues, someone says:  "The quality of referees is horrible" and everyone cheers, and then they go on and pretend the comment was never made.   They are focused on creating new referees with really no standards whatsoever. 

We had a hockey parent reffing PWAA games a few seasons back.  The guy was relatively old when he took this up, had no hockey background, was probably in his 50's and not in good shape.  I'll be the first to tell you that reffing hockey is not easy. First there's an entire rule book to read and absorb and understand.  In games, you have to skate a lot both forwards and backwards to do it well, and it's dangerous with pucks flying around.  And then you are going to get yelled at and booed and it's in general a thankless job even if you do it well.  It's not much money either, when you factor in travel expenses and time spent.

But that doesn't excuse the systematic lack of standards or evaluation, nor does it excuse a system that puts someone who can barely skate, and never played any level of organized Ice hockey, on the ice with Peewee+ Tier hockey games within 1 season.  We've all seen these refs on the ice at CAHA weekends and tournaments, so I know you have seen them too.  Some of the calls being made don't even exist in the rulebook   :o    One thing they could do easily enough is to have 2 refs, as they do in the High school leagues.  It won't turn bad refs into competent ones, but at least you improve your chances that one of the two might be ok.