This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: sharks ice to double in size  (Read 6413 times)

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
sharks ice to double in size
« on: January 22, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
https://www.mercurynews.com/huge-expansion-planned-sharks-ice-skating-complex-san-jose-hockey-sports-develop-real-estate

city council voting next week to approve 200k sqft expansion that will add two rinks, including one with 4200 seats to serve as home for the ahl barracuduas. finished building will have six rinks and be almost 150k sqft bigger than irvine.

if this doesn’t bring an end to caha weekends in vacaville nothing will.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
Re: sharks ice to double in size
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »

if this doesn’t bring an end to caha weekends in vacaville nothing will.

I think someone has to be voted off the board for that to happen.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 04:11:40 PM »
All that ice yet the Jr Sharks still wont be able to field a competitive tier level team...

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
That's funny. Wrong. But funny.

15AAA's went to Nationals last year.
15AAA's this year are 20+ spots ahead of the kings in rankings.
18AAA's are like 80 spots ahead of the kings in rankings, and 3 spots behind the ducks.

Ducks and Kings are strong, no doubt. But Sharks are typically in the top 30-50 in the country. Like all clubs, individual years can certainly suck, for everyone.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:54:41 AM »
This is going to be fun...Your argument that I'm wrong is based on 2 teams? Let's look at the current stats, shall we?

12UAA: 2-8-1 -30
12AAA Minor: 0-6-0 -40
12AAA Major: 0-6-0 -44
14UAA: 6-9-0 -7
13UAAA: 0-9-0 -38
14UAAA: 1-3-0 -8
15UAAA: 2-4-0 0
16UAAA: 0-6-0 -14
16UAA: 6-7-1 -8
18UAAA: 7-0-0 25
18UAA: 4-7-3 -17

OUT OF 11 JR SHARKS TEAM PLAYING AT TIER LEVEL ONLY 1 HAS A WINNING RECORD. Want to know the combined record of all their teams??? OH...its going to blow your mind.

WINS: 28
LOSSES: 65
TIES: 5
+/-....-181

That sounds really competitive to me and hate to burst your bubble, it's been like this for the past few years. But, you will have more sheets of ice to field more sucky teams.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:17:31 AM »
I actually mentioned 3 teams. I guess counting not your strong point? ;-)

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'competitive'.

AA is definitely hard when you are in a smaller market and are fielding AAA teams. It's tough to do both (see other discussion currently going on in bantam forum), and that definitely hurts the sharks. Frankly, I wasn't even considering tier 2 - who cares about an orgs second level team when it comes to competitiveness, really.  And it's mostly just a factor of addressable market.

It also looks like you are just considering CAHA games too which is also not smart, particularly for tier 1 - with only 3 teams in California and both the kings and ducks (admittedly) strong usually at tier 1, it's way too small a sample size to judge the sharks. California AAA team play a small minority of their games against other California teams. Use myhockeyrankings. That's what it's for, and it tends to be good.
[/size]
For tier 1, it's always the same pattern in the rankings. There are about 120 tier 1 teams in the country.

The top 15-20 or so teams are in a 'cut above' and really should be AAAA (or AAA-elite...) or something. Teams like Honeybaked, etc. Crazy records, and tough for other teams to beat, as they draw from all across the country.

The ducks are occasionally in that ranking range, but usually borderline. The kings very occasionally. Then from positions 20 or so down to 55 or so you get the bulk of the 'good' tier 1 teams. On any given day, any of those teams can beat any other, and this is shown to be true in tournament after tournament (eg. #48 15AAA sharks beat the #23 Jr Preds last weekend). This is where the sharks AAA clubs tend to be - almost always between 30 and 50 in the country.

Much beyond 55 to 60 you get 'weak' AAA teams. You sometimes see one or two sharks or kings teams in that region. Beyond about 80-90 you have teams that should be considering AA (or, I guess some years are just anomalies for clubs). Very rare for California teams to be there.

If it weren't the 'gate' to get to regionals, nobody in California playing tier 1 would really cares that much about the 'inside California' competition. Too small a pool. That's why the teams compete in tier1elite (though that league is struggling right now.)

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
Dude...that is a lot of typing without saying anything that really supports your argument that the Jr Sharks are competitive. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Here is a tactic - embrace the suck. Once a club / parent / team realize they suck...then real changes can happen. Yes I rip on Vacaville and just about anything involving NorCal hockey but California Hockey needs Norcal teams to be competitive, especially the Jr Sharks.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17

HM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-2
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm not sure how you define "very occasionally" but the Jr Kings have 5 Tier 1 teams in the top 15-20 per MHR. The 03,05,06,07, and 08 are all in that category.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 11:48:49 AM »
Good point. The 'cutoff' for the 'elite' teams is somewhere in that range. When I was writing that I was really thinking of that (mostly the 1-15 teams).

It's tough for any strictly regional AAA teams to compete with Honeybaked, Little Caesar's, Compuware, Shattucks of the world.

pete