This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Adhshl playoffs  (Read 6887 times)

Ole blueliner

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
Adhshl playoffs
« on: February 11, 2020, 06:58:34 AM »
The adhshl league set their playoffs the same weekend as the caha tier 2 play downs (in Valencia) and the pacific district girls tier 1 and 2 playoffs in Seattle.  And they just announced the dates yesterday.

Unbelievable considering the same people are involved in running these organizations. Why can't they get together and coordinate these things so they actually work for the kids and parents?

So now my kid has to decide which team to go to play with at playoffs.  She is heartbroken.  I can't believe I paid all this money for this.

And I can't watch my other kids playoffs.

Obviously the people who run these organizations don't care about the kids.  And wh[size=78%]at about the hard working parents, especially single parents who spend a small fortune on this and an incredible amount of time getting kids to the rink and make all this hockey possible??  [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]The parents and kids deserve much better. [/size]

Why do the people

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
Re: Adhshl playoffs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »
Just to clarify, ADHSHL playoffs start tomorrow for some divisions and next week for others. It's the CAHA Division 1 playoffs that are scheduled for the same weekend as Playdowns. Only D1 has two playoffs in the ADHSHL, and it's the CAHA D1 playoffs that sends teams to Nationals.
So this is CAHA's doing! You know they are aware that these teams have lots of Tier II kids playing on these teams. Why play a whole season only to have the playoffs come down to which team has the least amount of AA kids? Is there a certain team that might have some pull with this scheduling or is CAHA just that ignorant?

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »
So glad to know Im not the only one who has critiques of the ducks league.  they take the "our way or the highway" approach to pretty much everything.  I wish i could see the enrollment numbers in the ADHSL vs SCAHA/CAHA 16-18's.  I predict as the level decreases in the ADHSL that SCAHA/CAHA numbers of 16-18's increases over the next few years.  Basically this season the league just re-set all the teams because all the teams except a few top private schools were ending up in D3.

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
Feb 12-Feb 22, 2020ADHSHL PlayoffsVarious
Feb 27-Mar 01, 2020Girls Tier1 and Tier 2 Pacific District TournamentTacoma
Feb 28-Mar 01, 20202020 High School State Division 1A/2A State Championship Tournament (National Bound)Riverside
Feb 28-Mar 01, 2020Tier II Playdowns - 12U & 14USimi Valley
Feb 28-Mar 01, 2020Tier II Playdowns - 16U & 18UValencia
Feb 28-Mar 01, 20202020 CAHA Tier I State Tournament - 11AAA, 12U and 13AAA ONLYRiverside
Mar 05-08, 2020Boys Tier I Pacific District Tournament (18U, 16U, 15O and 14U)Tacoma
Mar 13-15, 20202020 CAHA Tier II State Tournament - All DivisionsEscondido
Mar 20-22, 20202020 CAHA Select Camp (Boys & Girls)Lakewood
Mar 26-30, 20202020 High School NationalsMansfield, TX
Mar 27-29, 20202020 CAHA State A/BB/B TournamentSan Jose
Mar 27-29, 20202020 High School Division 2B State ChampionshipSan Jose
Apr 01-06, 20202020 Girls Tier I NationalsBlaine, MN
Apr 01-06, 20202020 Tier I Boys 14U NationalsChicago
Apr 01-06, 20202020 Tier I Boys 16U and 18U NationalsRochester, MI
Apr 01-06, 20202020 Tier I Boys 15O NationalsPlymouth, MI
Apr 01-06, 20202020 Girls Tier II NationalsWest Chester, PA
Apr 02-06, 20202020 Tier II Boys 14U Nationals Kalamazoo, MI
Apr 02-06, 20202020 Tier II Boys 16U NationalsTroy, MI
Apr 02-06, 20202020 Tier II Boys 18U NationalsIrvine

Where exactly should they fit this in?  I’ve been saying for years that the two (Tier 1 and Tier 2 hockey vs. ADHSHL) are competing against each other.  The D1 division is pretty strong (16AA-18AA-ish) and there are 9 teams in it, so I don’t know what you mean by everyone is re-set in D3?  I think the idea is for A/B type hockey in JV, D3 is younger talented kids 14AA with some 15-16AA sprinkled in and D2 seems a small step up with some 18AA-ish players.

You should have known going in that there would be conflicts.  If you didn’t then your coaches lied to you or you just didn’t get informed.  Most every kid I know puts their travel team over their high school one, so you’re going to miss some games.  If you think your kid is going somewhere, then playing both 16AA and high school may provide some extra ice time for him/her to move on.  Otherwise, it might just make sense to accept that he/she is a 2nd or 3rd liner on a mediocre AA team or a 3rd or 4th liner on a AAA team and pick one league or the other.  Or you could go to one of the D1 schools and take it more seriously at that level. 

Just my 2cents…   

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:29:03 PM by OneandDone »

Ole blueliner

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
To clarify, the JV playoffs are the same weekend as the boys tier II playdowns (in Valencia) and girls tier I and II playoffs (Seattle)
Tier I boys are not allowed to play jv high school.  So using your schedule the two weekends following the proposed weekend are perfect!! 

Missing regular season games is one thing and was completely expected.  Playoffs are very different.  My kid totally committed to both teams all year long and now can't play in the playoffs.  That is not acceptable. 

A little effort and coordination would go a long way to making the sport easier for people for join and enjoy.
Btw, the head of the high school league is on the CAHA board of directors. There is no excuse for this lack of awareness.

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
I'm just guessing but it probably has to do with the amount of ice available and the lessor of two evils.  I believe SCAHA A/BB/B playoffs are the weekend of the March 6-8, and the following weekend is the Semis and Finals for SCAHA. Scheduling is always a huge headache and ice time is limited even with the additional Irvine facility.  I'm sure the league wanted to have most of the playoff games in that facility and don't forget that Irvine also does tons of figure skating competitions and has public sessions scheduled as well.  The amount of refs available is also a consideration when there are lots of tournys and playoffs going on.  Regardless it's impossible to please everyone whether you get the 6am game at a tournament or only a 3 hour break between games.

Out of all the kids that play JV hockey, how many are girls that play tier hockey? I'm guessing the over under would be 4 and I'd take the under. I'm quite certain that the amount of JV players playing on SCAHA A/B teams is greater than the amount of girls playing Tier, thus the lessor of two evils.  It's nice that she's playing both for extra ice and getting to travel with her Tier team but I've seen the JV league games and believe me, you're better off spending your money on the Tier and private lessons or clinics.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:48:24 PM by OneandDone »

Ole blueliner

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »
My daughter is a goalie.  The JV level boys is very good level for her.  And all girl players.  Plus she wants to play for her high school team.  There are also a lot of 16aa kids playing high school.  Their playdowns are in Valencia when the high school semi's and final games are played.
The ducks own 12 sheets of ice.  They can find a place to play the high school playoffs when the paying players can attend.

It's about making the sport more accessible and easier for the kids and parents.  They charge a fortune - the charge over $900 per game.  They can make an effort so that all the kids can play.
The high school league in our area is fading away.  If they want to grow they league they have to make an effort.  We can all ponder on what efforts they have made, or why they have done this, but there is zero evidence or communication that they are even aware or care.
Again, you want to charge top dollar, you need to deliver to your customers. 

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
My daughter is a goalie.  The JV level boys is very good level for her.  And all girl players.  Plus she wants to play for her high school team.  There are also a lot of 16aa kids playing high school.  Their playdowns are in Valencia when the high school semi's and final games are played.
The ducks own 12 sheets of ice.  They can find a place to play the high school playoffs when the paying players can attend.

It's about making the sport more accessible and easier for the kids and parents.  They charge a fortune - the charge over $900 per game.  They can make an effort so that all the kids can play.
The high school league in our area is fading away.  If they want to grow they league they have to make an effort.  We can all ponder on what efforts they have made, or why they have done this, but there is zero evidence or communication that they are even aware or care.

WOW, talk about fake news and spin!  First of all, the kids that play 16AA shouldn’t be playing JV, there is actually a rule stating so.  The only kids that play 16AA that will miss any playoff games are from the top 4 teams in Division 1.  16AA players will NOT miss anything in D1, D2 or D3 ADHSHL playoffs.  Again, the only kids that will miss are from the top 4 teams in D1 for the CAHA State Championship which is not the same as the ADHSHL Championship.  Everyone that I know in that position are bummed, but knew it could happen.

It sounds to me like you’re making an argument for your girl to play only high school hockey next year.  You complain that the league should make it easy and accessible.  Compared to travel which costs a fortune, high school hockey has basically wiped out 16 and 18 A/B hockey, while 16 and 18 Tier hockey has remained level for the last 5 years.  High school has lowered the cost, lessened the travel with local games 95% of the time and provided a better product with its website, stats, blackdog TV coverage, etc.

You have provided ZERO evidence or communication that proves the ADHSHL is fading away.  In fact it’s the contrary as the league has grown to over 50 teams this year.   As for the $900 cost, the JV games use 1.5 hours of ice. At just $450 an hour you have $700 of it gone.  Now add in 2 referees, two linesman, and a timekeeper and you’re right there at $900.   Keep playing travel and chasing the dream while driving and flying all over the place and then kicking and screaming without knowing any of the facts when it doesn’t work out perfectly for YOU. 

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
The high school league in our area is fading away.

This statement from Ole blueliner might be in reference to the LA Kings HSHL. We have been hearing those rumors for awhile, ever since Jim Fox stepped down as Commissioner. It hasn't happened yet, but I would imagine it it does, maybe the ADHSHL will pick up the remaining teams.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:24:54 PM by CahaMama »

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 11:56:51 AM »

all Varsity divisions finish ADHSHL playoffs by 2/22, only JV plays into the next weekend.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
The high school league in our area is fading away.

This statement from Ole blueliner might be in reference to the LA Kings HSHL. We have been hearing those rumors for awhile, ever since Jim Fox stepped down as Commissioner. It hasn't happened yet, but I would imagine it it does, maybe the ADHSHL will pick up the remaining teams.

The cost of the Kings league has gotten way too high since the subsidies faded out.  It's now down to 8 varsity & 8 JV teams.  There aren't a large number of players dual rostering. 

There are a couple of teams that would be ok in the ADHSL, but most of the teams would struggle in the ducks lowest division.   One of the "Varsity" teams doesn't even have a JV team (and is 1-14 with a -105 goal differential) and one of the JV teams is Bishop, which doesn't have a rink to practice at.

One thing I thought was really cool, was that they had the championships at Staples.  This year they have moved the games to TSC.  ::)   Gotta love the way the Kings came to the High School Hockey league late in the game, and seem to have already thrown in the towel. 

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
Lots of excitingly close varsity games this week down at Five Point Irvine.  Finals tonight.   https://www.adhshl.com/ for schedule.