This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bears 16AA?  (Read 7274 times)

Rainman

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-4
Bears 16AA?
« on: February 23, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
Looks like Bears might field a 16AA team next year. Anyone have anymore info?

Ilikehockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
Re: Bears 16AA?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:08 AM »
Wow, really? Where did you hear this?

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »
Thought they were all going to prep school

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:18:55 AM »
I have only heard this since 2017 now.

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:01 AM »
Someone should start a "Where Are They Now" thread about all the gold medal winning 14UAA Bears players of the past...

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 02:17:02 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
You mean that sending your 15 year-old son off to boarding school isn’t the road to future glory?  Who would have guessed?

I’m sure it works for some, but I find the race down this path leads to a lot of kids growing up under the caring and watchful eye of an RA who dedicates most of his life to online gaming.

ILOVEHOKEY

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-21
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »
What about just getting a good education when playing the game they love and to not have to spend hours in the cars to go to a practice?

My son is one of the kid who started prep school (at 14) and he is very happy over there. Academics are going great as well as hockey. 

Will he become the future hockey miracle? Nahhhhh...... Will he have a good education in a good environment to succeed in his life? Most likely (at least as of now he is doing great)...

I do not think everybody is sending their kids to prep school with the idea that they will be in a few years playing Pro or Junior (at least I am not)....

It's a choice of quality of life for the kids who want to succeed in the classes when practicing at at good level the sport that they love.  8)

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
What about just getting a good education when playing the game they love and to not have to spend hours in the cars to go to a practice?
What he said...

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »
What he said...

SHAME ON YOU BOTH!  This is SoCal and CAHA!  If you can't handle the highway, it's because your player ain't good enough anyway! 

*(Insert arrogant parent slight about your kid not being good enough, but this time really mean it to make me feel superior). 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:37:10 AM by BladesofSteel66 »

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »
You mean that sending your 15 year-old son off to boarding school isn’t the road to future glory?  Who would have guessed?

I’m sure it works for some, but I find the race down this path leads to a lot of kids growing up under the caring and watchful eye of an RA who dedicates most of his life to online gaming.

LOL.

In my experience, there are two people usually against this road (when it is available). The Mom's, and more importantly, the kids themselves.  Let's face it, how many 14 or 15 year old kids want to move away to a boarding school (no matter how 'pretty' the brochures) and move away from their best friends, the group they hang out with, their current team mates, the girl they 'kind of like', etc, for some far away place.

At 14 or 15 most of them have a better idea than the Dads about how far they will go in the sport. They need to be pretty delusional to think they are chasing glory in 'the show' by going away.

It's a great option for some, and I've had relatives who have done really well with it. But it's certainly not for everyone.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:21:15 AM »
At the risk of bringing this back to the original topic, yes there is a really good chance that the Bears will indeed have a Midget program again next season.  Evidence?  For the first time in many years they have a spring program for U16 that you can sign up for as we speak.

PT sent out an email to the Bantam and Midget families covering a number of things including the rejection by CAHA of a Bears Bantam AAA team bid.  While he still advocates and facilitates the Prep school path for a lot of families, there are also a fair number of Bears players who have come through the program that aren't interested in that path. 

The ascension of the Cougars is a good example of this, as that team is mostly former Bears players.  It's possible that a good number of '05's will choose to stay local.  Rather than have all those kids move to other programs, Bears U16 has moved from "yeah not going to happen" to likely there will be a U16 team next year, and if so, I would expect it to be a competitive one.

Fiveholer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 05:44:00 PM »
good stuff if its true, more opportunities for Midgets.  Ice Dogs show a 16U AA team for 20-21 on their website if this is true.  Who else is going to be fielding new Midget teams for next season?

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 08:54:34 PM »
What he said...
Another take on this prep school issue is this: time on the freeway is time away from studying and learning.   Freeways are what we do because our jobs generally demand it.   Does it make sense for teenagers or younger kids?  High school hockey does not have the travel of AAA but there is travel and there is time away from school.   

What if hockey practice is just a walk across campus as it often is at good (academic) prep schools?    Hockey is just a game which can be a lot of fun to play and it is a healthy positive pursuit.  That's it.   It is an enjoy the moment activity. Education will probably shape the future of the current generation teenagers more than any other variable other than family income, wealth, and class.