This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tournament Rater  (Read 6518 times)

Atomic

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
Tournament Rater
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:15 PM »

tournamentrater.com

Something I've been working on and ready to start rolling out. The thought behind it is to give teams, coaches and team parents a user-driven rating site (kind of like Yelp) to make the most of their weekends at these tournaments and ensure the kids have a great time while waiting to play their next game.

I'm still adding tournaments as I find them, but would love some feedback on the site and easy of use. Feel free to submit ratings as well!

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
Re: Tournament Rater
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 01:44:44 PM »
That’s cool.  The more tournaments and reviews, the better resource this could be for everyone.  Thank you!

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:09 PM »
I have been to many, MANY tourneys....  would love to comment on this site...

ummm it is 404....  doesnt exist.

Atomic

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
For some reason, the link I posted adds a prefix "calhockey.com" to the web address. Just copy and paste tournamentrater.com into your browser window and you should be good to go!

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:51:05 PM »
That worked....  Looks legit!

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »

tournamentrater.com

Something I've been working on and ready to start rolling out. The thought behind it is to give teams, coaches and team parents a user-driven rating site (kind of like Yelp) to make the most of their weekends at these tournaments and ensure the kids have a great time while waiting to play their next game.

I'm still adding tournaments as I find them, but would love some feedback on the site and easy of use. Feel free to submit ratings as well!

Nice job so far.

Home page Footer should be fixed to bottom of viewport.  Looks funny on a big screen right now, half way up the screen.

There are some structural things that I think could be improved. 

Obvious thing to me is that you should have categories by sport.  There are lots of sports where this would be useful, and your domain is tournamentrater not hockeytournamentrater, so right away you set the expectation that there could be tournament info for different sports.

I also think it would be good if you formalized the structure of items in your sections.  Since you seeded it with your own reviews, that looks great and offers a lot of info, but once average people add reviews, the quality and amount of info will degrade rapidly.  Clearly you know what you want to have, and you could add a tag like feature where people could just tag from the list you already have provided.  Example:  Awards & Recognition:  Championship Banners awarded to Champion for each division
  • Plastic medals were given out to tournament champions

• A user being able to add these as tags to that section, will help maintain consistency.  The input text boxes should just be for general comments above and beyond the standardized facts, or for things you already haven't added as a tag. 

Good luck with the site.

Atomic

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 01:11:13 PM »
Eventually I’d like to get to adding additional sports, so I’m already planning on redoing the home page once we get to that point. I’m also going to break it down by country and then state/province for easier filtering.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. I’m still working on my website development skills, but (as with all things), it’s a work in progress and I’ll continue to develop it to make it better for everyone.